HONDA: Anyone using Demon Hardware/Neptune Software or Hondalog/Hulog Xtreme?

drift.mechanic

Both are sold by Moates.net

I'm looking to run a datalogger this season. Suggested to me was the Demon Hardware using Neptune Software. Anyone have any experience with this? It's a live datalogging and tuning/flash tool that doesn't require a third party memory bank. It has 3 hours of run time worth of memory. 399$ for this setup.

The second option, a much cheaper, is the Hulog Extreme. You need a pc to record the data via usb. The interface is remote from the board. Logging is the only ability of this unit. its 30$

I have a PLX logger now. Great unit but at one point, it just becomes more complicated than a logger built into the EMS.

Ideas/opinions ?

For a serious track/race car, think more like AIMsports, either EVO 4 with dash or the MXL Pista. They can log- give lap times and handle all your gauge needs.

When you see what they can do, they are more affordable than you think.
For something really cheaper, there is the AEM logger.

All that you are proposing are hobby style street gadgets.

Hey Phil,

What are you trying to log in the first place??

If all you care about is engine logging, the Demon is a good way to go, because it really is the only plug and play solution for the ODB1 ECU. But it does beg the question, what are you planning to log?? You want RPM, IAT and Throttle Position? Short doing a playback to see where you're car is running -- once it is tuned, you shouldn't have any issues.

If you have codes -- I'm pretty sure you're car was tuned ith Neptune or ecTune, I think they both have a '100% throttle with K-ON IGN OFF' check code display -- a tap of the brake clears it.

Now; if you're boosted, and you want to play with boost and control it via the ECU, then yea... Hands down the Demon is the way to go. If you just want to check out PEAK Values, well hell.. you can pick up an LCD Dash for the car called Tuner View. It reads directly from the ODB1 ECU (or K Pro). You can use it as a cluster; and you setup your dash and pages. One real-time, another Peak. It is cheaper than the Demon.

If you want things like Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, You'll need to go standalone like Carl's afore mentioned AIM EVO4 Logger, or the AEM, since the OEM ECU doesn't log that. You buy the logger; you buy the sensors you want to log... it has intergrated G-Meter and GPS, and presto, you're a pro race driver!!

The one thing you should think about getting, even if you do Demon / TunerView, would be buying an AIM Solo. These things kick ass, and for the price... it's an awesome lap timer / g-meter / speed logger.

You going to come lapping with us this year bro?!

Last edited:
Kev! Yeah buddy, that's the plan. If all goes well with my back recovery, I'll be behind the wheel of my EK this summer at last, it's been on the burner for 18 months now... Itching to get behind the wheel.

Ok so here is what I have now:
- PLX logger with the 8 channel interface. Also, a third party interface to overlay the video (refresh on key cycle for auto saving of individual session files). Now here is the issue, I've maxed out the ability to log anymore without upgrading the PLX interface, and I won't do that again. It's a good system, but enough is enough.

The Demon hardware on Neptune will allow me to log real time with video overlay (I love the video overlay on data for learning my mistakes. Yes it's a bit advanced but I lap to get better). The MASSIVE BONUS of the Demon system is the in EMS logging with built in memory (so no PC or PC storage emulator needed).

What I do log (or did log):
- RPM
- IAT
- Steering angle (turn in vs track position)
- Brake application (time ON/OFF vs pressure vs track position)
- Lateral G
- Throttle
- Engine Temp (oil temp as well)
- Lap time
All those overlayed on 1 in car cam, and 1 out car cam. I think Kev that you hit the nail on the head with the Tuner View. Mix that HUD with the Demon on Neptune and that's everything I need with 4 expandable channels. P

Carl, thanks for chiming in buddy. Yes those loggers are more street and less hardcore race, but an AIM right now is REALLY REALLY not in the cards... Frankly, I still have to find a wheels and tire sponsor (The cage, paint and OEM goodies are all sponsored from Normal Experts Fab, Camo Customs and Honda [won't say which for now]). Trust me, if I had the money for the AIM, it would be on my kitchen table, mounted in my cluster, ready to rock!

Phil, You'll either need to stick with the PLX or go with the AIM or other kit.

The demon will only log things that the ECU sees, and a Honda ODB1 ECU doesn't see anything like steering angle, G, brake pressure or lap times.

If you tossed out the PLX and went straight for a Neptune, you'd be taking a giant step backwards!!

If you want something better than what you have, like a high quality lap timer, that will do 3 axis g loads, RPM, Speed... PREDICTIVE Lap Timing... the AIM Solo is awesome.

Predictive Lap Timing basically; the display tells you if you are + or - your best lap time, in real time. It's awesome to improve your driving.

Last edited:
Kev! Yeah buddy, that's the plan. If all goes well with my back recovery, I'll be behind the wheel of my EK this summer at last, it's been on the burner for 18 months now... Itching to get behind the wheel.

Ok so here is what I have now:
- PLX logger with the 8 channel interface. Also, a third party interface to overlay the video (refresh on key cycle for auto saving of individual session files). Now here is the issue, I've maxed out the ability to log anymore without upgrading the PLX interface, and I won't do that again. It's a good system, but enough is enough.

The Demon hardware on Neptune will allow me to log real time with video overlay (I love the video overlay on data for learning my mistakes. Yes it's a bit advanced but I lap to get better). The MASSIVE BONUS of the Demon system is the in EMS logging with built in memory (so no PC or PC storage emulator needed).

What I do log (or did log):
- RPM
- IAT
- Steering angle (turn in vs track position)
- Brake application (time ON/OFF vs pressure vs track position)
- Lateral G
- Throttle
- Engine Temp (oil temp as well)
- Lap time
All those overlayed on 1 in car cam, and 1 out car cam. I think Kev that you hit the nail on the head with the Tuner View. Mix that HUD with the Demon on Neptune and that's everything I need with 4 expandable channels. P

Carl, thanks for chiming in buddy. Yes those loggers are more street and less hardcore race, but an AIM right now is REALLY REALLY not in the cards... Frankly, I still have to find a wheels and tire sponsor (The cage, paint and OEM goodies are all sponsored from Normal Experts Fab, Camo Customs and Honda [won't say which for now]). Trust me, if I had the money for the AIM, it would be on my kitchen table, mounted in my cluster, ready to rock!

Phil, the AIM products are more affordable than you think- I have a promotion going on right now.

We are a Neptune Dealer, my personal car has a Demon, we tune with a Demon, and what these guys are telling you is the absolute truth.

The Neptune software paired with the Demon is primarily for tuning your OBD1 ECU to run a Honda B, D, H, or F series motor. An added feature, yes, is to datalog only what the ECU sees. You will be able to datalog IATs, ECTs, RPM, VSS (not actual, GPS speed, but whatever your VSS outputs. If you have wheel spin, you get wheel speed, not actual road speed)

There are severe limitations for a track car using the ECU to datalog things: primarily, the speed. I've been tracking a long time, and in my opinion, the VSS output is absolutely useless, short of comparing it to the GPS based speed to see if you have any wheel spin issues or lockup, but that can just as easily be done by comparing the RPM trace with the GPS based speed.

The ideal is to have both. As Kevin said, ditching your PLX logger for a Demon would be a step in the wrong direction. Look seriously into a full logging dash or system like the AIM Solo, Racepak G2X, etc. It's much more worth-while.

Also, where did you read/see that the Neptune/Demon package can give you a video overlay with data? Either way, the single most important improvement tool that you could possibly have you are throwing away going this route: the G-sensor.

Last edited:
Thanks Kev. The PLX is a good system when its expanded. Problem is, you never stop expanding and at one point, the results yielded are no longer worth the purchase price of the next expansion. I've used a AIM Solo once, I really like it, very user friendly and straight forward.

Just for fun, I just checked my pricing on the AQ-1 Logger from AEM and did some further looking into it. It's a nice toy, seems pretty user friendly, highly detailed and versatile and full customization.

Carl, if you don't mind, send me a price by pm. I'm interested in knowing what the AIM goes for.

Synoptic, thanks for the info. I've been dealing with Jeff Evans, contacted him through HRT a while back, we spoke about the abilities of the Demon with Neptune. Apparently, he used that setup with a Track IQ software and was able to run 2 video feeds stored on a timed HD with time reference from the oem EMS. Since then, he fell off the face of the earth, no clue what happened to him. I just wanted to know more info about how he pulled off the overlay with the expansion for G load, 1 Pressure reading and a GPS piggy back (for actual speed).

Thanks for the info guys

Back