any fixie fans here?

infinite

Legacy Member
so i'm thinking of building a fixie, any forum to recommand?

and what's pro and cons of a fixie?

Pros : mont-royal people will accept you in they're circle, because they will think you're cool

Cons :
since it's montreal, to much uphills and downhills, so if you don't have a good leg strengh and cardio you'll find this uber hard.
I hope you will put a brake on it, otherwise you'll be dangerous for yourself and others

yea lol i'm putting front brake for sure. my hippie level isn't quite upthere yet to run without brakes.

there aren't much ups and downs in my daily travel. so i'm not too worried about it.
you know any good forum?

What are the reasons you want to build one?

Gear it like the prophet Merckx (52x14) and you will be the envy of all the hipsters.

honestly, fixie or gear, doesn't really matter.

i just want to build some nice lightweight commuter bike.
kinda new to the whole bike scene so if you have a good website or forum to recommand, feel free

yea lol i'm putting front brake for sure. my hippie level isn't quite upthere yet to run without brakes.

there aren't much ups and downs in my daily travel. so i'm not too worried about it.
you know any good forum?

I don't know any forums, but my brother and a few people I know build some for themselves, after 1 month they bought a gear setup to change it, cause it's was annoying to only have 1 gear and it's counter productive, in terms of exercices and speed.

if you want to build a lightweight one, keep in mind that it's going to be expensive, even if you build it yourself. the things I learned from my brother is, the first things to look at are the wheels and the gear system. then the frame but it'll be the most expensive part.

if you want a good commuter, buy a cyclocross bike. I have a Giant TCX, and it's pretty quick when i toss road tires on it.

Also, cyclocross season in the fall is possibly the greatest time in the world.

[video=vimeo;59003307]http://vimeo.com/59003307[/video]

yea i know, it'll be a slow but quality build. put it up in my room and just build it during my free time.

You need the adequate tools with any kind of bikes unfortunaly if you want something done right, say adjusting your brakes, installing a crank and balancing wheels ( if that's what you plan on doing ). Yeah you can go ghetto and just eyeball it but I prefer adjusting everything.

i dealt with C & L Cycles on the plateau. Quality parts, I needed a bike so I went with them. But you can find whatever you want on the internet for cheaper. Thickslicks tires and whatnot.

I found a vintage custom 52 CM Bianchi frame and carbon fiber fork at my pop's and I was able to build a proper fixed ( single speed with the option of going fixed ) for around 500$ .

I don't care what people say, with the proper gearing, I don't find it counter-productive. It's like driving a manual car. You get more involved and it's more fun. I've been riding cross-country, and downhill bikes since forever and I can assure you that nothing builds up my cardio like that.

Last edited:
J'me rappelle en 2009 quand je descendais la côte Berri avec mon bike gearé 42-17
Les genoux me tapaient dans la bédaine.

Fixed-gear ou single-speed, c'est le fun pareil. Tu te casses pas la tête avec les vitesses, c'est silencieux, pi c'est fiable.
Tu peux te partir avec un vieux bike à vitesse des années 80-90 avec des horizontal dropouts.
Un bon site qui m'a aidé quand j'ai bâti le mien (et qui est bon pour le vélo en général): http://sheldonbrown.com/fixeda.html

C'était ce bike-là. je le prend pour aller travailler, 52-17 maintenant:

Pour ton build: Tu peux garder les freins d'origine si tu prends un vieux bike. Sinon tu peux avoir du Tektro beau-bon-pas cher avec des manette Shimano NOS ou Tektro encore.
Les roues sur eBay y'en a plein, sinon pas mal toute les shop peuvent en avoir (Le Yéti en avait). Les gears tu peux avoir ça chez MEC, la chaine aussi.
Lis les articles sur Sheldon Brown, c'est sûr que ça prend des outils, mais tu feras pas vivre le gars de Snap-On. Clés Allen et kit de ratchet t'es déja avancé.

Here is my 1984 Norco that I converted into a fixed last year.

IMG_1441.jpg

Just under 20lbs - a great bike for commuting or exercise.
The whole "project" cost me under 200$, although I got really lucky with the frame. I would need a bigger chainring now since the bike has helped me get in shape and now I find it too easy to ride :)
I only bought 2 tools so far: crank puller and a chain tool, the rest of the tools are pretty common (15mm, allen keys of different sizes, etc).
Also, do a google search. There are community bike shops in Montreal; they have tools and they will help you/teach you to fix your bike. It's often free or for a small donation (like 5$). UdeM, McGill and Mec come to mind...

I tried my friends' fixies and I simply couldn't go back to "normal" bike, I really like the fact of constant pedaling! You feel more attached to the bike, you have a lot more control over the bike. The bike is light, fast and really fun!
If you are out of shape, going up the hills might be hard at first but it gets easier every day. If you think about it, people just got lazy.
Back in the day bikes didn't have gears. All bikes had ONE single speed and imagine that - NO ONE DIED! People were in better shape - a fixie will help you get there.

As someone already suggested, Sheldon Brown is a great resource.

A few more things:
1. Make sure you select a frame that fits you well. Very well. Very very well.
2. If buying a used bike as a donor, ride it with no handlebars. If the bike pulls to either side - the form is probably bent, stay away from a bike like this.
3. Make sure the chain is tight.
4. You might want to start with a smaller chainring then upgrade later.
5. Use proper tools - it will save you time and broken bike parts.
6. Leave the front brake on the bike.
7. Get straps, especially if you are going brakeless.
8. Wear a helmet. Yes I know they are ugly. Yes they do save lives.
9. If someone wants to steal your bike - they will, however a 50$ lock will discourage most amateur thieves.
10. Get a MEC membership.
11. Have fun ;)

Last edited:
J'étais pas convaincu d'avoir un Fixie à Montréal, mais l'été je m'en sert à tous les jours (je l'ai sorti hier). J'en ai un pour aller à l'école et un autre pour me promener.

En gros, u trouve un vieux frame avec des dropout horizontaux, pour pouvoir tendre la chaine en reculant la roue:
horizontals.jpg

Tu mets des freins modernes, des roues modernes, peut être un pédalier et t'es en business. Tu peux regarder sur kijiji pour des roues / pédalier, ou sinon des places comme vélo macaque dans Griffintown ils ont des pièces neuves / usagées...

Voici les miens:
En construction: (pas de dropout horizontaux, faut je trouve une solution)
IMG_2204.jpg

Daily drive: (converti en fixie, roues modernes et freins modernes de vélo macack dans griffintown), j'ai payé le frame 10$ dans une vente de garage sur la rive sud :p
3732127657_b45158ce25_o.jpg

Weekend warrior: celui là je ne le barre pas nulle part, genre je m'en sert pour aller chez des amis et je le rentre en dedans...
dkHTlkn.jpg

J'étais pas convaincu d'avoir un Fixie à Montréal, mais l'été je m'en sert à tous les jours (je l'ai sorti hier). J'en ai un pour aller à l'école et un autre pour me promener.

En gros, u trouve un vieux frame avec des dropout horizontaux, pour pouvoir tendre la chaine en reculant la roue:
horizontals.jpg

Tu mets des freins modernes, des roues modernes, peut être un pédalier et t'es en business. Tu peux regarder sur kijiji pour des roues / pédalier, ou sinon des places comme vélo macaque dans Griffintown ils ont des pièces neuves / usagées...

Voici les miens:
En construction: (pas de dropout horizontaux, faut je trouve une solution)
IMG_2204.jpg

Daily drive: (converti en fixie, roues modernes et freins modernes de vélo macack dans griffintown), j'ai payé le frame 10$ dans une vente de garage sur la rive sud :p
3732127657_b45158ce25_o.jpg

Weekend warrior: celui là je ne le barre pas nulle part, genre je m'en sert pour aller chez des amis et je le rentre en dedans...
dkHTlkn.jpg

I want that specialized!

un autre putain de terme que je ne connaissais pas ''fixie'' ! je suis a la veille de faire un thread sur les termes nébuleux de la vie de nos jours

Just get a normal bike (and give it a fixie/hipster look if you wish), IMO it's a stupid trend.

Otherwise I'm shopping for a saddle reat now (50-60$ max), if anyone has a suggestion.
To fit this bike
20130501180826.jpg

My bike doesn't look so great, but it's better like that it won't get stolen although it has a carbon fiber frame.

Back