11 000KM, 20+ stone chips down to metal on hood, Toyota says it's normal

Dubweiser

I detailed my wife's Scion IQ yesterday, to my suprise I counted about twenty stone chips on the Hood (and the hood on the IQ is tiny) that go all the way down to the metal. I'm quite suprised for a number of reasons:

- The car barely does any highway, I'd say about 10% of the mileage is highway
- The car is impeccably maintained, it's always got a nice layer of wax and we always wash it regularly
- Me and the wife always keep a large distance to the cars in front of us
- My 2008 Jetta is nearing 100 000KM, although it has a few stone chips, none of them go down to the metal, and my Jetta is used almost exclusively on the highway

I called Toyota, and they say it's normal and they can't do anything about stone chips. I said we have a major problem if they tell me it's normal, so I'm getting it checked out tomorrow at the dealer, I suppose they're going to blame me for they shitty paint...

EDIT: Just to be clear, the 20 or so stone chips I'm talking about are the ones going down to metal, there are many more stone chips on the Hood that are purely cosmetic blemishes...

Last edited:
The car is lower and the hood* is at a steep angle. It's normal to get stone chips on that kind of car. Just like it's normal for a Nissan Cube to have a cracked windshield.

Edit: Hood or front end*

The car is lower and the hood* is at a steep angle. It's normal to get stone chips on that kind of car. Just like it's normal for a Nissan Cube to have a cracked windshield.

Edit: Hood or front end*

The Hood on the IQ is pretty flat and horizontal actually, it's the front bumper that is at a steep angle...

Les nouvelles peintures sont comme ca, cheap, ecologique, appelez ca comme vous voulez, c est comme ca maintenant.

Un an apres avoir ma sx4, le bumper avant et le hood etaient pleins de stone chips...

Its because of environment laws in japan who obligate them to use water based paint which are really weak. Pretty much all newer japanese car have shit paint that chip for nothing. Only thing you can do is to wait for rust to show up and then ask the dealer to fix it. Many of my friends had the same problem on their mitsubishi and they add to wait for rust to show.

5000km sur mon jetta jai deja 2-3 stone chips, un windsheild craqué pis une poque sur une porte :D en plus, jai des picots de rouille tout le tour du char qui serais de la poussiere de brake coller...

x2

i had a 2009 vw rabbit ... red car on white primer ..... sooo stupid you could actully see my stone chips 10 feet away ... and even had some to the bare metal also ...

the clear from my bumper would peel off if id hit a big insect , never ever hit the front of the car aka original paint

cheap stuff ..

Its because of environment laws in japan who obligate them to use water based paint which are really weak. Pretty much all newer japanese car have shit paint that chip for nothing. Only thing you can do is to wait for rust to show up and then ask the dealer to fix it. Many of my friends had the same problem on their mitsubishi and they add to wait for rust to show.

My Jetta has water based paint and it doesn't have any chips going down to metal.

My Passat had water based paint and at 160 000KM I never had to use touch up paint.

I'm not sure it's water based paint...

I don't understand how anyone can think this is normal, and I'm not letting my 7 month old car rust out, how would you feel about driving around in a new rusty car?

i found recently that alot of business use this term(its normal) for everything. its also mean for me, if your not happy, just try to sue us.

I've detailed 2012 Audis with front bumpers full of rock chips. It depends on the shape and height of the car.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I've detailed 2012 Audis with front bumpers full of rock chips. It depends on the shape and height of the car.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bumper I couldn't care less about because it doesn't rust. My concern is that at this rate, at the end of my lease, the car will have almost 100 touched up chips on the Hood, every single one a potential rust problem.

5000km sur mon jetta jai deja 2-3 stone chips, un windsheild craqué pis une poque sur une porte :D en plus, jai des picots de rouille tout le tour du char qui serais de la poussiere de brake coller...
pour les picots de rouille utilise une clay bar sa part bien. Je viens de le faire sur mon GTI qui a meme pas 5k. Ca me faisait capoter..

acid wash , thats what i used to do on new cars , it decontaminates the paint ,

you rince the car good with a pressure washer , then apply wheel acid ( aka the mag acid at the car wash ) apply it everywhere on the car , then wash the car with the acid on + soap obviously

onces washed , rince , then wax

you cars paint is going to feel amazingly smooth and rust free , perfect for people experiencing a lot of little surface rust spots made by you're brake dust or simply when you wash you're car and dry it and when u pass you're hand over it it feels nasty

i know it sound weird puting acid on a car but every car that comes new at 0km on it has had it washed with acid ( when example a big 760il bmw 2013 comes in ... it is amazingly nasty , there is bird shit on them , tree resine , scratches and a lot of crap , before some cars get delivered they sometime have to work on estetiques for hours and hours, ive personally seen a couple beemers being soo nasty they where on the car for more then 8 hours ... where talking about a 0km car brand new ... )

worked at bmw , hyunday and audi and thats the way it works ... scarry but very efficent , did that everyweek on my old car and always had amazing smooth paint

PS: dont do acid wash when car is hot , or hot mags , leave it cool down , do not do it under sunlight

same principal as a compound

do not apply acid on polished parts , only oem equipement , oem crome wheels are fine with acid , spray but dont leave it on for more then 45 sec , simply rince it right away

if you dont trust this method try it on you're old beater and you'll never look back ;)

solution : clear bra when the car is brand new ... full size of the hood if needed ...

cheaper than a respray and look way better than stones chips

Buy touch up paint touch them up and then go get it covered with that 3M clear plastic and get a bug deflector that should help60% of rock chips the rest is don't drive it in the winter where they put down rocks for traction in ice storms.
You can't compare one car to the other with how many km or highway or what ever...cars are made cheaper with less coats of paint and where ever they use rocks for winter you will have stone chips
That's life in QC suck it up bud.

Thanks to all those who are telling me to suck it up, but I won't.

I used to be in the car industry, and I used to detail cars.

I cannot accept the fact that my 7 month old car looks like this. This car isn't going through different conditions than any other car I've owned, and I take care of my cars religiously, but the paint is degrading at an alarming pace. If this car belonged to someone who didn't wash or take care of it, it would be covered in rust within two years.

If this is the new norm for paint quality, then I do not accept it as a standard. Something has to be done about it.

As for touch up paint, I already have some, although I think it's shocking that I need to apply as much touch up on the Hood of my Scion than I've ever applied on all of my cars in 12 years combined.

My brother bought a Venza 2010 i think... about 10000-12000km on it.. hood chipped.. Called toyota to rage about it.. Toyota answer ? its normal. So, he sold it. One of my friend.. Venza 2012, about 20k on it.. hood chipped and the rust is showing.. Called Toyota to whine about it... Toyota told him it was normal.

So.. Ya, its normal.

You could have done a number of things to prevent these chips. As others mentionned even VW has a lot even when new, you say you dont. Me I say it comes down to luck and how many you get while driving, maybe paint quality has something to do with it, but I dont see paint quality helping when you get small rocks at 100km/h, a clear bra or even better a deflector would have helped a lot.

Good luck but I dont see how you can blame Toyota for this.

Thanks to all those who are telling me to suck it up, but I won't.

I used to be in the car industry, and I used to detail cars.

I cannot accept the fact that my 7 month old car looks like this. This car isn't going through different conditions than any other car I've owned, and I take care of my cars religiously, but the paint is degrading at an alarming pace. If this car belonged to someone who didn't wash or take care of it, it would be covered in rust within two years.

If this is the new norm for paint quality, then I do not accept it as a standard. Something has to be done about it.

As for touch up paint, I already have some, although I think it's shocking that I need to apply as much touch up on the Hood of my Scion than I've ever applied on all of my cars in 12 years combined.

Certaines marques ont des meilleures peinture que d'autre faut croire car ma Jetta est beaucoup moins maganée que ma Civic au même kilo. Tu peux pleurer tant que tu veux en espérant que le dealer la re-shoot.

Back