Considering Dropping CEGEP. Didn't go to school but happy w/ your life? GTFIH

Realize that while there may be a few people that enjoyed success after dropping out of school, they are the minority.

Most of the people I know who never had any post-secondary education, now work in shitty customer service jobs or other call centre type work. Some of them are fine with their 35-45k per year jobs but they'll never advance beyond that unless they truly excel at work. A close friend has been doing customer service at a bank for the last 8 years. Throughout the years, he applied several times for open management positions at his bank but was always refused due to his lack of a post-secondary diploma. The best he can do is move sideways, rather than up. He's now in his 30s and most of his bosses are younger than him and freshly graduated from university. The sad part is that he's the one that has to train his bosses on how things work.

Out of my many friends who have nothing but a high school diploma, only one has truly succeeded financially. That's only because he is an amazing sales person and is really ambitious. If you have the skill for sales, and enjoy that field, you can make a lot of money without education. We were all laughing at him when he started telemarketing right after high school. He was making 50k/year before the age of 20. By the time the rest of us graduated university, he was a sales manager a large IT company, making 70k/year. Now, we're all in our 30s and he's a corporate sales director, managing hundreds of sales reps, making a 6 figure base salary plus a generous override and stock options. Competing companies try to recruit him all the time.

Where I work, even 35k/year entry level positions require a Bachelor's. It doesn't even matter which program, as long as it's a degree of some sort.

Try to determine what you want in life and take the steps necessary to achieve it. If you believe you'll be happy with 40-50k for the rest of your life, you may be able to achieve that without education, and ideally in a field that you truly love. If you want more financially, the odds are on your side if you simply tough it out until you finish university. This is much easier if you surround yourself with people and friends who are smart and ambitious. If your friends are all smoking weed and working in warehouses, then it'll be much harder to be motivated to go forward.

When I ask any of my friends if they regret not going to university, all except that one guy I mentioned above, said yes. The don't like their jobs and are always living paycheque to paycheque. It's much harder to go back to school in your late 20s or 30s when you have rent/bills/kids, etc. Get it done when you're supposed to. Good luck!

I'm a drop out. I currently work a very well paid job that has very good opportunities and I have gained over the years a lot of experience which has let me to believe that in certain domains experience>school. In any case, my future plans do not involve anything taught in school.

My parents think I'm a deception... I went to University and paid out of pocket for two years to realize that I wasn't learning anything at ALL. How do I know? I went in the branch in which I already worked in so I knew what the "job" was but I wanted to get the degree in order to go up faster. Waste of time in my books... For the degree I wanted to go in, I also realize now, after all my other friends finished school, that none of them love their jobs and also they are very underpaid. Maybe later in life it'll come in handy but I want to be my own boss so a diploma really isn't needed.

You gotta know one thing; I worked my fkin ass off HARD. I didn't just let off school and worked part time....

Basicly it all depends on what you were studying at university. For example, my degree won't open me any jobs in Canada, but it's opening my eyes and my mind to alot of things in life that I would of never cared about if it wasn't for school and to me that's what studying should be all about ; personnal enrichment. Unfortunatly,nowadays the social system values school so much that people just like you are considered a deception in their famillies when they drop out even if it's to accomplish something else in life.

To OP: If you're not motivated to go to school just drop out, I've been there and for me dropping out was the best thing. I took 3 years off from school to travel around the world and came back with a fresh mindset. Now i'm in University, studying international development and i'm having a blast !

I am just thinking, do you have a plan on what to do if you drop out? I mean Cegep is not fun but it's fairly easy, if you do drop out after cegep at least you'll be able to get in university without the hassle of going back to cegep. If not then you will have enjoyed 2 years of no stress before starting work. Anyways I am shure you'll find your way just try to look for something you would like to do

To OP: If you're not motivated to go to school just drop out, I've been there and for me dropping out was the best thing. I took 3 years off from school to travel around the world and came back with a fresh mindset. Now i'm in University, studying international development and i'm having a blast !

+1

Realize that while there may be a few people that enjoyed success after dropping out of school, they are the minority.

This x10.

It's a llllooooonnnnnng tunnel to look down when you're starting Cegep, but the light is there.

Motivate yourself. Set aside an hour or two a day and hit the books. That's all you need in Cegep, which is nothing. Cut back on the video game time, MR time, whatever, just get it done.

Coasting through Cegep, barely passing will get you nowhere. Unfortunately, I only realized this halfway through and had to essentially ace every class to squeak into JMSB, where I did very well.

It's a great feeling to be in demand (assuming you choose the right degree). Engineering, accounting, finance, etc. I had my job lined up, with a signed contract, at the end of my second year of University. As Jacques mentioned, it's a safety net. I plan to open a business one day, but for now, I'm gaining tons of experience and contacts, which I otherwise would not have had access to if I had dropped out. Not to mention, you do learn a lot in school, which will save you a looottt of money if you want to open your own business.

And do keep in mind, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Jay Z, Etc., these people are geniuses. They were bored in school, because they knew more than their professors. School added zero value for them, hence they drop out and started up billion dollar enterprises.

Long story short, if you're capable, do it.

If you're struggling in Cegep, you'd be better with a trade. It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're capable of being one of the best, you'll be in demand, and success will ultimately follow.

J'ai seulement un Dep je travaille dans une usine a me ruiner la santé et je songe sérieusement a retourner au études pour ne plus être un ouvrier qui s'empoisonne. L'idéal comme que quelqu'un a déjà dit c'est d'aller travailler l'espace d'une session tu vas voir ensuite c'est quoi tu veux ou pas mais encore la c'est criss. Ça m'a pris quelque année avant de me rendre compte que ma job c'était de la marde juste a cause que j'avais un bon salaire. Maintenant je rentre a shop le matin et vois toute la boucane comme si y'avait du brouillard, je travaille a des température insuportable en été et je me demande bien pourquoi j'ai lâché le cegep pour aller faire un dep lol.

Moi ça me fait ben rire le monde qui vienne de rentrer dans des grosse shop et commence a faire des payes et ensuite essaye de convaincre le monde que c'est THEEEE SHITTT.

Don't do it because you will kick yourself in the ass later on. If you think school is hard wait till you get into real life, you will wish you were back in school.

aucune raison de te depecher a rentrer sur le marche du travail...remember during school you have the most free time and very little responsibilities...it's the best years of your life...en plus ca te prepare a rentrer sur une marche de plus sur le marche deu travail..donc win-win...toute est dans l'ambition et ou tu veux en arriver...ca c'est le "fuel" de ton progres...

Don't forget if you do drop out of CEGEP, you can still apply to University @ 21 years old as a mature student, but I hope those years you're not in school... you actually are trying to figure out what you want to do. You may be limited in programs but you can make up for them in a semester. Also remember 7-8 classes in CEGEP is your typical 4 in University. Some that receive bursaries do 5 classes to qualify and it is a big work load but it all comes down to and your self discipline.

It's starting to become pretty obvious that school really isn't for me at this point in my life. It's not like I can't get good grades. When I apply myself I have done well in class. The problem is just that my motivation is going down to nothing. I find myself totally unable to focus on my studies and I can honestly say I hate every minute of the time I'm at school.

I'm just worried that I'm going to end up working some shitty job for the rest of my life and totally regret this decision.

So, do I have any chance of making it in life if I stop? Everyone has a story of someone who dropped out of school and became successful, but I feel like it's one in a million.

Discuss.

My girl's dad who was a brick layer always said to his 3 daughters "study hard so you don't have to break your back like I do to make a living". Today the oldest is a designer for a popular clothing brand, the middle one is a fortune 500 company regional manager and the little one is a scientist. Your choice, suck it up and muscle through school, or eat shit for the rest of your life more or less a paycheck away from being homeless. Don't ever think that you'll be the special one who will make it big after dropping out, so you'll not be disappointed.

My girl's dad died at 55, never been on vacation, working 7 days a week to provide for his family. There is your motivation.

nobody will tell you to drop out because it's always better to have an education no matter what you choose to do. And yes it does affect you on different levels, it teaches you to think critically and I'm only now actually seeing that it's true. You will find yourself thinking why the hell am I doing this stupid report it's not going to help me in life, but everything put together the value of an education is greater than the stuff you will learn.

Worst case scenario take some time off and work until you're 21 and go as an independent university student, that's what I did and I didn't finish my Cegep but I regret it. It's work you will just have to do later on so the point is suck it up and get it done now! You say you don't have any trouble with the work so try and figure out why you don't have any motivation, honestly this was my major problem as well. You just have to really focus on the future, it WILL pay off, one way or another. I know Cegep blows hard but they might have some options available to help you with study habits and organizational planning or what not. People will help you if you ask.

Good luck.

Back