The gun thread

While there are "softer" shooting calibers out there, it's nothing to be concerned about. I can't think of many reasons why an average adult couldn't handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8ca8hobas

That's a "308" (7,62 NATO) going at it in full auto. Is it a handful? Yes. Is it an apples to apples comparison? Hell no. But it should dispel the notion that it's a challenging caliber for a person to handle.

Ok this actually makes me way more confident about shooting .308 loll

Ok this actually makes me way more confident about shooting .308 loll

Most ww1-ww2 era infantry rifles were of a similar caliber and the conscripted men could fire off 20+ rounds a minute.

You probably don't want to spend a fortune on your first gun. They're expensive to feed and you're going to get much better results from going at the range and working on your skills than buying a gucci piece, one so nice you're affraid to bang it up a bit / use it.

A 1000-1300ish rifle with a 4-500 dollar scope should make you very, very happy.

Besides, if you get hooked, next thing you know you're shopping for a gun safe and feel bad for your pieces being a bit too lonely. Guns are a bit like pokemon. Next thing you know, you want to catch them all.

Also consider getting yourself a .22 plinker to work on your skills. Most fun for your dollar and a good way to learn some fundamentals.

I'd spend a little bit more for a scope.

Envoyé de mon SM-G988W en utilisant Tapatalk

Really? Wow, I mean I totally get it. Can't land my hits if I can't see where I'm shooting. I'm just surprised the quality of scopes in the sub 1k range is that "poor"

So how about I get a .22lr to start then and work on my fundamentals skills over the winter before getting a .308 in the spring? Would that make more sense?

Really? Wow, I mean I totally get it. Can't land my hits if I can't see where I'm shooting. I'm just surprised the quality of scopes in the sub 1k range is that "poor"

So how about I get a .22lr to start then and work on my fundamentals skills over the winter before getting a .308 in the spring? Would that make more sense?

The only "wrong way" to go about it is to not shoot enough rounds to be comfortable with your gear. But trigger time per dollar, .22 will have you miles ahead.

Scope is shooter's preference. The quality of the glass definitely matters and there are some nice features you get as you move up the price range.
Some people get some massive racks with garbage hand me down gear whereas some gear snobs with gucci gear get skunked. It's one of many variables. Be smart about it but Don't make this your sole focus.

Makes sense. I'm trying to find a balance after all.
Il keep doing my research until I do my CFSC on Monday. After that il see if I can pass by one of the local ranges to start plinking. (Are ranges closed because of covid?) I saw the exterior ones are closed because of winter but im not sure about the indoor ones.

My Tikka was 1300, and scope was 650 (minor sale)

3k for a first rifle is unnecessary imo, the T3X is more than most will ever need. My scope is a 4-16 Nikon X1000

I'm aware its a lot. I would like to get into shooting in an affordable manner so now I'm really leaning towards getting a tikka .22lr with a decent scope that would be great.

As for the .308 my logic was get a damn good rifle that's gonna last me a lifetime and be perfect for both hunting and the range.
The sig cross seems to be the only lightweight 308 with picatinny rails and is capable of accepting additional rails and attachments.

I'm totally open to all suggestions tho. I dont even have my PAL yet this is a medium term plan

La façon économique de tirer c'est avec du 22LR. Ça reste une bonne plateforme pour apprendre les principes fondamentaux du tir car c'est universel. Ce qui va arriver en dedans d'un an, c'est que tu vas te tanner parce qu'il n'y a pas de thrill la dedans, mon opinion. Donc le 2000$ que tu vas avoir dépenser dans un beau setup de 22LR (carabine, scope et accessoires) c'est 2000$ de moins pour un setup en 308$.

Tout ça pour dire qu'au final, le tir est une discipline qui coûte cher et tu peux pas te satisfaire d'une seule arme. Je veux juste te préparer à faire face à cette réalité. Je suis passé par la, tous mes amis aussi.

La façon économique de tirer c'est avec du 22LR. Ça reste une bonne plateforme pour apprendre les principes fondamentaux du tir car c'est universel. Ce qui va arriver en dedans d'un an, c'est que tu vas te tanner parce qu'il n'y a pas de thrill la dedans, mon opinion. Donc le 2000$ que tu vas avoir dépenser dans un beau setup de 22LR (carabine, scope et accessoires) c'est 2000$ de moins pour un setup en 308$.

Tout ça pour dire qu'au final, le tir est une discipline qui coûte cher et tu peux pas te satisfaire d'une seule arme. Je veux juste te préparer à faire face à cette réalité. Je suis passé par la, tous mes amis aussi.

Oh I have 0 intentions of spending the big $ on a .22lr. I can't exactly take it on a moose hunt. Il look like an idiot :laugh:

I would spend for sure less than 1k on the setup. Maybe even skip out on the sights and just practice with iron sights

Just out of curiosity: why is the picatinny rail so important to you on a hunting rifle?

Are you going to be swapping out optics often? It looks cool and definitely has some advantages, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a gun for having a less trendy / more traditional hunting rifle base and rings set up. I'd take that over paying the tacticool tax for a rail that may not be true / of the best quality.

What other attachments are you thinking of? You can mount a bi-pod so a sling swivel stud in the font.

Last edited:
@Jelly
Have you look into Savage Axis in .223?
I know, i’m a big savage fan. But they are very affordable and pretty decent accuracy for the distance you want to shoot. It does come with a cheap scope to get you started but you can always upgrade to a better glass like in 6 months and you can have the package for less than 500$ and around 600$ for an Axis II.
I find 22lr are boring to shoot. And sometimes, a good 22lr rifle cost just as much as a bigger caliber rifle.
To me, shooting a 22 is like having sex with a hot chick that startish; yeah she’s great looking with a great body but.... doesn’t moan, doesn’t scream, doesn’t know what to do, doesn’t hive head.... yeah, gets old pretty fast...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/113454/savage-axis-xp-bolt-action-rifle-wscope

Edit: missed the point that you want to hunt... well Axis line comes in all sorts of caliber

Just out of curiosity: why is the picatinny rail so important to you on a hunting rifle?

Are you going to be swapping out optics often? It looks cool and definitely has some advantages, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a gun for having a less trendy / more traditional hunting rifle base and rings set up. I'd take that over paying the tacticool tax for a rail that may not be true / of the best quality.

What other attachments are you thinking of? You can mount a bi-pod so a sling swivel stud in the font.

it looks so good.... :(

@Jelly
I know, i’m a big savage fan. But they are very affordable and pretty decent accuracy for the distance you want to shoot. It does come with a cheap scope to get you started but you can always upgrade to a better glass like in 6 months and you can have the package for less than 500$ and around 600$ for an Axis II.
I find 22lr are boring to shoot. And sometimes, a good 22lr rifle cost just as much as a bigger caliber rifle.
To me, shooting a 22 is like having sex with a hot chick that startish; yeah she’s great looking with a great body but.... doesn’t moan, doesn’t scream, doesn’t know what to do, doesn’t hive head.... yeah, gets old pretty fast...

Edit: missed the point that you want to hunt... well Axis line comes in all sorts of caliber

Ok so I actually saw this rifle and it interested me BUT the reviews scared me. Couple of people claim it was prone to misfiring which is absolutely terrifying to me as a new shooter.

Also again. I wanna pass by a range and try out different calibers.
Getting my fundamentals down is super important to me so I don't mind getting a "boring" caliber if it makes me a better shooter in the long run. How cheap is .22lr vs .223?

@Jelly

Yeah, a .22 is not exactly the most exciting in itself but it's nice to figure out how to sight in your scope / make adjustments, shoot from different positions and figure stuff out @ pennies vs dollars per trigger pull.

I wouldn't get a ruger precision in .22 to start off with, that's for sure. A bolt.22 doesn't sound super appealing to me honestly as a "toy" but a ruger 10-22 can be so much fun. Get one w/ a litteral bucket of rounds and think later.

I heard.. hence why I asked if I needed a PAL to visit a range LOL

To buy /own a gun / ammunition, yes you definitely need a PAL. To shoot someone else's gun under their supervision: no.
Different ranges might have different policies but that's the gist of it.

How cheap is .22lr vs .223?

.22 $500 bangs for $40.
.223 40 bangs for $30-40 of cheap ammo
.308 20 bangs for $30 (cheap ammo)

Yea the more you guys talk about it the more fun getting some short of cheap semi chambered in .22lr sounds run. But then so does a .223. Dammit I'm trying not to get addicted right off the bat and spend my life savings on guns :laugh:

Yea the more you guys talk about it the more fun getting some short of cheap semi chambered in .22lr sounds run. But then so does a .223. Dammit I'm trying not to get addicted right off the bat and spend my life savings on guns :laugh:

Get an SKS. 7.62. $400-500 for 1500 bullets. Pretty cheap to shoot and satisfying.

Back