The gun thread

Sup my dudes. Decided to register for the CFSC and start the process to get my PAL.

Started doing my research on the laws in canada a couple weeks ago so I'm new to all this stuff. Am I allowed to go to the range and try out different calibers without a PAL or do I need the PAL to even set foot in the range?

Also, are there indoor ranges in the MTL region?
Google keeps showing me ushoot which seems to be a air rifle/pistol range.
You can shoot without any license as long as you are with a range member that is licensed.

Ranges in Montreal are CRAFM and CTVSP.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Sup my dudes. Decided to register for the CFSC and start the process to get my PAL.

Started doing my research on the laws in canada a couple weeks ago so I'm new to all this stuff. Am I allowed to go to the range and try out different calibers without a PAL or do I need the PAL to even set foot in the range?

Also, are there indoor ranges in the MTL region?
Google keeps showing me ushoot which seems to be a air rifle/pistol range.

Awesome great decision!! As 4front said you can shoot as long as a PAL/RPAL holder is within arm's reach.

Why not go for your RPAL? Are you not interested in restricted at all? As for ranges, I don't know about Montreal but if you are willing to drive a bit i go to Maska (near St-Hyacinthe) it's a really nice range.

Once the restrictions are lifted and this stupid ban overturned we definitely need to do an MR range day. I'll let yall tag team my MK18 and we'll all get to try different guns and throw some lead down range

Awesome great decision!! As 4front said you can shoot as long as a PAL/RPAL holder is within arm's reach.

Why not go for your RPAL? Are you not interested in restricted at all? As for ranges, I don't know about Montreal but if you are willing to drive a bit i go to Maska (near St-Hyacinthe) it's a really nice range.

Once the restrictions are lifted and this stupid ban overturned we definitely need to do an MR range day. I'll let yall tag team my MK18 and we'll all get to try different guns and throw some lead down range

Thanks for the offer man! I'm actually in brossard so it isn't that far of a drive time wise.

So I registered for the CCSMAFAR with the federation du tir. My course and exam is on nov 16th.

From what I understood the course is suppose to be both? Its 2 exams. So I THINK I'm getting both done at once. As far as my interest in firearms I'm new so I'm planning on easing into it. I'm very well aware (thanks to stalking this thread every and now then) that this can be a VERY expensive hobby if I'm not careful. And god knows my car eats up enough of my money as is lol.

My goal for now is to get 1 rifle that can do it all. So I'm leaning towards a .308. Although every single article iv read these past 3 weeks keep telling me about how the 6.5 is suppose to be this miracle round that shits on the .308 in everyway.

My plan was to get the PAL and then test out various rifle calibers to see what suits me. I would like to get into hunting in the future as I have two uncles who are avid hunters.

Any and all advise you guys give me is appreciated. Its a shame that iv had to rely on enthusiasts sites for most of the information so far because I feel like the government is trying to stop people from getting into the sport.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer man! I'm actually in brossard so it isn't that far of a drive time wise.

So I registered for the CCSMAFAR with the federation du tir. My course and exam is on nov 16th.

From what I understood the course is suppose to be both? Its 2 exams. So I THINK I'm getting both done at once. As far as my interest in firearms I'm new so I'm planning on easing into it. I'm very well aware (thanks to stalking this thread every and now then) that this can be a VERY expensive hobby if I'm not careful. And god knows my car eats up enough of my money as is lol.

My goal for now is to get 1 rifle that can do it all. So I'm leaning towards a .308. Although every single article iv read these past 3 weeks keep telling me about how the 6.5 is suppose to be this miracle round that shits on the .308 in everyway.

My plan was to get the PAL and then test out various rifle calibers to see what suits me. I would like to get into hunting in the future as I have two uncles who avid hunters.

Any and all advise you guys give me is appreciated. Its a shame that iv had to rely on enthusiasts sites for most of the information so far because I feel like the government is trying to stop people from getting into the sport.

Firearms and shooting are very expensive hobbies, but guns are the slowest depreciating asset I’ve ever seen. If you’re savvy about buying and selling used firearms on the EE on CGN you can actually make money.

About 50% of the 50 firearms I owned I sold them for more that I’ve bought them... Marketing with a great ad, nice photos and keeping the original box is the key.

Firearms and shooting are very expensive hobbies, but guns are the slowest depreciating asset I’ve ever seen. If you’re savvy about buying and selling used firearms on the EE on CGN you can actually make money.

About 50% of the 50 firearms I owned I sold them for more that I’ve bought them... Marketing with a great ad, nice photos and keeping the original box is the key.

K this is information is actually a god sent. Once I get my PAL il make sure to ask you guys for advice as I go through the acquisition process for the first time.

Last edited:
Tu veux une carabine pour la chasse ou le tir de précision? Tu peux faire les 2 disciplines avec une seule carabine mais tu vas devoir faire un compromis. À moins de te lancer à fond dans la discipline de tir de précision à des distances de 500m+ tu peux rester avec du 308. C'est facile à trouver, économique et ça fait en masse la job. Autour de Montréal tu vas pas trouver plus que du 200m anyways.

Tu veux une carabine pour la chasse ou le tir de précision? Tu peux faire les 2 disciplines avec une seule carabine mais tu vas devoir faire un compromis. À moins de te lancer à fond dans la discipline de tir de précision à des distances de 500m+ tu peux rester avec du 308. C'est facile à trouver, économique et ça fait en masse la job. Autour de Montréal tu vas pas trouver plus que du 200m anyways.

Exactement se que j'ai lu. Il n'a aucune point de acheter un ruger precision gen 3 chambered en 6.5 creemore a 2000$ si je peut pas tirrer plus que 300 yards.

I'm a smaller dude so I'm looking for a lightweight 308 thats gonna be useful at both the range and on the hunt. Compromise wise I'm leaning more towards a hunting rifle since I don't wanna be lugging around 10+lbs rifle all day on the days I do go hunting.

One thing that did get my attention about the 6.5 however is its lower recoil along with (allegedly) better accuracy.

Tikka T3x lite en stainless et crosse synthétique avec un bon scope 3-10x, parfait pour aller à la chasse au gros gibier.

Yes iv seen them online. Iv never heard of Tikka before. I'm assuming they are a reputable company? I was thinking of going down the remington 700 route because its a popular choice. I did want something with picatinny rails tho.

I was reading up on Sig Sauer's cross 308 rifle. Its $ but I figured why not do things right the first time and get a high quality rifle that'd gonna last me a lifetime

Tikka is one of the best value rifles you can buy. Guaranteed sub MOA. I've got a varmint ss in .223 and you can shoot it all day (literally put 250 rounds through it one day)

Tikka is one of the best value rifles you can buy. Guaranteed sub MOA. I've got a varmint ss in .223 and you can shoot it all day (literally put 250 rounds through it one day)

alright good to know Tikka isn't an off brand company to take lightly.

On the subject of .223 I should have stated earlier that the reason Im leaning towards .308 and possibly 6.5 is because if i do go hunting itll most likely be with my uncle who hunts moose. So I would need a larger caliber round. However once again Im a smaller dude so if i can get away with using a lightweight 6.5 without having to worry about dislocating my shoulder each time i pull the trigger (im exaggerating but you get the point :laugh: ) that would be great.

Ça dépend de ton budget parce qu'on est pas dans la même gamme de prix! Entre une Remington et une Sig Cross, le choix est évident.

I agree! completely different price points. But this is why i asked originally if i could go to a range without a PAL because my worst nightmare would be gettting a Sig Cross in .308, spending $$$ on accessories and top shelf rounds. Only to realise im getting recoil fatigue after 2 rounds.

I wanted to try different calibers with different rifles before making my decision on which rifle im getting.

Btw HUGE thank you to all you guys for helping me out. If i would have known how chill this thread was I would have posted sooner and probably registered for the exams sooner.

308 doesn't recoil that much. Unless you had a surgery and can't tolerate any recoil, you can shoot a 308 all day everyday. You could also install a muzzle brake, if it doesn't already have one. This will reduce the recoil.

308 doesn't recoil that much. Unless you had a surgery and can't tolerate any recoil, you can shoot a 308 all day everyday. You could also install a muzzle brake, if it doesn't already have one. This will reduce the recoil.

Oh. I was under the assumption it had a decent amount of kick. it is a larger caliber after all. Il have to try it out in person. If it totally manageable then we are in business :D

Give us a budget. Scopes vary from 300 to 5000.

That being said, I feel quality of the image is better than raw zoom. I use a 4-16 and feel it is very adequate for sub 500 yard.

For hunting, you usually want a lower minimal zoom for better field of vision

Oh. I was under the assumption it had a decent amount of kick. it is a larger caliber after all. Il have to try it out in person. If it totally manageable then we are in business :D

While there are "softer" shooting calibers out there, it's nothing to be concerned about. I can't think of many reasons why an average adult couldn't handle it.

That's a "308" (7,62 NATO) going at it in full auto. Is it a handful? Yes. Is it an apples to apples comparison? Hell no. But it should dispel the notion that it's a challenging caliber for a person to handle.

Give us a budget. Scopes vary from 300 to 5000.

That being said, I feel quality of the image is better than raw zoom. I use a 4-16 and feel it is very adequate for sub 500 yard.

For hunting, you usually want a lower minimal zoom for better field of vision

I'm thinking sub 3k for the rifle. maybe sub 1k for the scope?

I wanted to spend less than 5k for the entire set including accessories, ammo and a nice bag for travel/hunting

Back