Thinking of driving from MTL to Boston...

Bruce

So I got some vacation time in a couple of weeks and I need some time off. I just feel like hitting the road and not giving a flying fuck.

I was thinking of driving from Montreal to Burlington ( Vermont ), chill there a night then drive down to Boston spend maybe 2 days then head straight back.

Any suggestion on local pubs, galleries, food venues, cheap stays, local gems, stuff I should be looking for?

Is the city still under siege with the marathon bombing?

And a dumb question maybe, but will my Je me souviens plated car will get vandalised down there?

I like The Black Rose, Paddy O's or Durty Nelly's for pubs. North End is full of great restaurants. Driving in Boston is hell, expect to get assraped if you plan on parking downtown on a weekday.

So I got some vacation time in a couple of weeks and I need some time off. I just feel like hitting the road and not giving a flying fuck.

I was thinking of driving from Montreal to Burlington ( Vermont ), chill there a night then drive down to Boston spend maybe 2 days then head straight back.

Any suggestion on local pubs, galleries, food venues, cheap stays, local gems, stuff I should be looking for?

Is the city still under siege with the marathon bombing?

And a dumb question maybe, but will my Je me souviens plated car will get vandalised down there?
Nah not a dumb question, Bostons ok usually I haven't had any trouble there. They are probably talking mad shit in their heads though.

aux Etats il sont tellement habituer a voir 295 sorte de plaque différentes que je ne crois pas que tu te fasse remarquer. De plus je crois qu'il nous aiment plus qu'on les aiment ;)

Just did roughly the same last weekend.
I think it's bike week in Hampton Beach, NH in a couple of weeks, so that could be a thing.
Burlington: check out American Flatbread on St-Paul between College and Main. Seriously awesome pizza and small-time beers.
Manchester, NH: Strange Brew. good food, again awesome small-time beers.
Boston: there are outlets in Wrentham that are pretty good if you need .. stuff. Too much good food in Boston.

I'm a big fan of East Cambridge for hotels. Quite cheaper then downtown. Royal Sonesta Hotel is quite affordable and very well located with a nice view of Downtown. It offers free shuttle, but you can walk downtown easily.

There's a few nice pubs around Faneuil Hall and in front of the Holocaust memorial.

Restaurant wise, I've been to a lot of good places but the only one that comes to my mind it The Gallows. Brunch at Coppa are amazing as well.

There are people downtown that will take you around by bike!!! Theyre bikes with 2 seats behind them. They're easy to spot. You can pay wtv u want. I wouldn't get around any other way. Park your car somewhere, and take advantage of them when wanting to travel long distances.

Also the aquarium was awesome. Definitely a stop to make in my books.

^too bad, I skipped the aquarium when I was there a couple weeks ago...

Regardless, I would suggest:

1) Walk the red line or whatever it's called. Doesn't take long, 2-3 hours but it brings you through the important parts of the city
2) Definitely check out the holocaust memorial. It's very well done, very memorable.
3) Samuel Adams tour. It's free, you get beer, and you see a bit of the plant. Win, win, win.
4) Rino's Place. Expect a 45 minute wait, but f*ck me, probably one of the best Italian meals I've ever had. In East Boston.
5) Red Sox game. Get cheap seats, then move down closer as better ones liberate. Nobody checks, nobody cares.
6) Go out at night, especially on a Friday/Saturday. The pubs are pretty packed and the vibe is great.

I stayed near Fauneuil Hall, which is a great central location. I booked that room on Hotwire, wasn't disappointed.

I went the weekend after they caught the bombing suspect. The only place that was "abnormal" was the site of the bombing, where there was a memorial set up and everyone took a moment of silence.

I spent two nights, three days which was plenty. The three days were packed with stuff to do and we never got "bored". Boston is very similar to Montreal, except people jaywalk everywhere. Great food, architecture, clean, etc.

Do it and enjoy!

1) Walk the red line or whatever it's called. Doesn't take long, 2-3 hours but it brings you through the important parts of the city

Freedom Trail !! :D

I did it too and I liked it. On a sunny day it was awesome !

Lots of ideas here.

Guess I should bring my bike and park outside downtown, say East Cambridge like Vince mentionned.

And thanks for confirming that my car won't get fed up.

And yes I'm definitly stopping by Burlington and taking a break by the Boathouse Docks!

Quick question, where's a good place to stay, while in Boston? I imagine it is cheaper just outside the city? How about B&Bs? Or renting an appt for a few days?

Any links are appreciated.

make sure your frient doesng get drunk and drive back to montreal without you, and with your passport in the car.

If I might make a recommendation for the drive either up or down, take this route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ontreal&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2&t=m&z=11

It is the most scenic road I have ever taken, especially the Kancamagus highway in NH, absolutely AMAZING, so worth the detour! Check out the reviews on tripadvisor (5/5): http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...magus_Highway-North_Conway_New_Hampshire.html

As for what to see in Boston, definately check out the Freedom trail, very well done. Although, my highlight over there was to do a guided tour of Fenway park, INCREDIBLE!! You even get to go on top of the green monster!

Enjoy

make sure your frient doesng get drunk and drive back to montreal without you, and with your passport in the car.

Don't worry, it won't happen again. I'll be the one driving, and my preggo gf isn't leaving my side.

If I might make a recommendation for the drive either up or down, take this route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...ontreal&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2&t=m&z=11

It is the most scenic road I have ever taken, especially the Kancamagus highway in NH, absolutely AMAZING, so worth the detour! Check out the reviews on tripadvisor (5/5): http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...magus_Highway-North_Conway_New_Hampshire.html

As for what to see in Boston, definately check out the Freedom trail, very well done. Although, my highlight over there was to do a guided tour of Fenway park, INCREDIBLE!! You even get to go on top of the green monster!

Enjoy

If you go down this way and it's a nice day it's only a small detour to some nice beaches in maine/NH if you want to kick back by the ocean for a couple hours

I wouldn't bother bringing your bike, Boston isn't big enough to warrant it, unless you want to make it through the whole city in an hour. Just walk the freedom trail, check out the park, the governors' mansion; great places to eat all around, and plenty of pubs. As stated the North End is full of pretty good restaurants.

Back