News: Mitsubishi, Volvo, Road & Track Named to List of Brands to Disappear in 2014

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...d-to-list-of-brands-to-disappear-in-2014.html

What do JC Penney and Mitsubishi have in common? According to 247wallst.com neither will be around in 2014.

And Mitsubishi isn’t the only automaker on the site’s annual list of brands that will disappear the following year. Also making the dishonor roll is Swedish car company Volvo.

The criteria used for each brand’s placement on the list includes a list of seven factors: declining sales and losses; rising costs that can’t be offset by higher prices; loss of customers; declining market share; the sale of the company, bankruptcy and finally notification by the parent company that the brand may be going out of business.

Mitsubishi is cited for sales that are “nose diving” with fewer than 60,000 units sold in 2012. Those numbers have continued to decline by 6.5 percent year-to-date with a total U.S. market share of just 0.3 percent in April. Public perception is also to blame with the most recent J.D. Power vehicle dependability study ranking Mitsubishi 30th our of 33 brands.

Volvo is also cited for poor market share with just 0.3 percent, though as a luxury brand that number is less devastating. Still, sales are down 8% so far this year in an up-market. The brand’s limited lineup is also to blame. In fact, the site goes so far as to say Volvo might be in crisis both in the US and globally with allegations of fraudulent dealer actions in China.

Mitsubishi and Volvo are the only automakers on the list, but they aren’t the only auto-related companies. Also cued-up for demise in 2014 is the long-standing auto enthusiast publication Road & Track. The magazine makes the list for shrinking revenue and diminished demand while it competes in a crowded market, that also includes its more popular print sibling, Car & Driver magazine.

Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important brands sold in America that we predict will disappear before 2014. This year’s list reflects the brutally competitive nature of certain industries and the importance of not falling behind in efficiency, innovation or financing.

The list also reflects how industry trends can accelerate the demise of certain brands. This year, we included two magazines — Martha Stewart Living and Road & Track. With print advertising in a multiyear decline, some magazines have weathered the decline better than others. These two, however, have suffered sharp drops in advertising revenue over the past five years. Magazines also carry the heavy legacy costs of printing, paper and distribution — a problem not shared by online-only competition.

Not surprised about these brands. Makes you wonder what the management is thinking, offering such lackluster products for so long.

They need stuff like this car!!

volvo-sc90-concept-7-lg.jpg

The perfect mitsubishi was the Evo 9 MR.
Not sad that volvo and mitsubishi will be gone. I knew they would go after suzuki and saab.

Sent from China

je vais croire que mitsubishi vont disparaitre le jour ou il vont l'annoncer.

Il s'en vend en calvere des petite lancer, rvr, outlander.

I liked volvo, well some volvos, like the v70r

l<article a dit qu'ils en ont juste vendu 60 000, c'est pas enorme

je sais pas trop pour mistubishi au canada....au US sa marche pas pentoute, entk de ce que j'ai vue dans 3 état americain que j'ai visité,
MAIS au quebec c'est assé populaire quand meme, je sais pas pour ROC......je serais pas surpris que mitsubishi disparaisse des état unis, mais pour le canada.....je suis moins sur

entk on va attendre et voir

les i-miev sont un vrai fiasco, les dealer sont prit avec dans les cours.

Il va y avoir des kart de golf en sold cette automne , ils vont encore être prit avec.

C'est pas parce que tu vois 4 Lancer et 2 RVR dans une journée que ''il s'en vend en calvère''...

je pense que volvo va rester. ils sortent leurs nouveaux moteurs et l'hybride arrive (pa sle diesel hybride d'europe par contre).Y'a aussi la V40 qui s'en vient, nouveau modele. Remplacement du XC90, etc.

ils n'auraient pas pompé autant d'argent dans la marque pour sortir... Ils vontrester aux USA je suis prêt à parier.

mais ils ne refraichissent pas leurs modeles assez vite malheureusement.

les i-miev sont un vrai fiasco, les dealer sont prit avec dans les cours.

Il va y avoir des kart de golf en sold cette automne , ils vont encore être prit avec.

pcq le monde au quebec sont des idiots, ils pensent que c'est awd tout les lancers et rvr tout comme subaru. Je connais une fille qui pensait que sa mitsubishi lancer avait le meme concept que subaru , awd seulement....

Sent from China

I walked into a mitsu dealer and everyone looks depressed. Im shocked they aren't paying you to drive the car away. 10 year warranty lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a whole lot of rubbish, is this guy going to quit writing if Mitsubishi and Volvo still be here next year?

Mitsubishi not reliable LMAO judged by who? Because most of the time all we do is maintenance on the cars coming in, so no idea where are those unreliable ones going for repair.

Volvo yon un pas pire lineup pourtant.

Mais dans les char de luxe c sur que c'est plus sexy acheter une BM ou Mercedes qu'une Volvo...

If Volvo would mass produce Polestar verions of their cars for cheaper than they currently are I think they'd be fine.
You can probably trace Volvo's downfall from when they stopped making performance cars.

If Volvo would mass produce Polestar verions of their cars for cheaper than they currently are I think they'd be fine.
You can probably trace Volvo's downfall from when they stopped making performance cars.

Ummm no it has nothing to do with performance cars. As cool as the R versions they were never great performers and IMO pointless. They were trying to be something they were not.

The S60 is a cool car but it languished on for years with just subtle updates and the price kept going up. Then I know for a fact Volvo had/has horrible lease rates that were uncompetitive with BMW and Merc. Suddenly the Volvo owner was lured away by ze germans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a proud Volvo owner and having worked for Volvo for 8 Years, this "news" does not bring any comfort at all. Here is why:

Volvo Cars North America (Volvo Cars US AND Canada) were "one". The lineup was the same except for 2 models that the US had in Front Wheel Drive mode (XC70 and XC90). As some people said, Volvo was never a serious match for the competition until the new 2010 Volvo S60 and by then, there was a LOT of bleeding happening at Volvo. Ford was in process of selling Volvo to Geely(which is now the "money man for Volvo" but does not affect quality/build of cars). During that period of "selling to the Chinesse" all development on NEW cars was halted. Whatever projects that were in the pipeline was still going...such is the case for the XC90 that is WAY past due on a new launch/redesign).
Fast forward to 2012 and now Volvo Cars North America has become Volvo Cars US which is a SEPERATE identity of Volvo Cars Canada. We, in Canada, are now with "Region 7" which has 2nd tier European countries. When this was announced, there was rumors of Canada getting the V60 (Which is true) and I (salesman at the time) had hope to get Diesel motors....No such luck. Without dragging many complex situtions in here, I dount that Volvo Canada will close shop unless something MAJOR happens to Geely, and even then...

Unlike what MR.Space said, Volvo Canada, will NOT be getting the V40 as of yet, but POSSIBLY a XC version (V40 Cross Country).

Greg: Not quite. Volvo and the "R" (V70R and S60R) were made to "compete with the BMW M3" (So says Volvo itself), but to be honest, it was never a direct competitor. Take it as a 2nd choice or 2 notches below the M, at best. But I do agree with (forgot user name) about mass producing the REAL 508 HP 6 Speed Manual AWD S60 POLESTAR. I KNOW that there is a market for it... Right now, Australia has a tammed version that has the same confusing fucking name (specs are different: 365 HP, Auto, AWD... it's a Souped up S60 T6 AWD R-Design with a more agressive tune done by Polestar) and Volvo Cars (Sweden) is testing out the market. My guess is that this is the version that will be mass produced... a sort of BMW 335i killer or Infiniti G37 Close call competitor... Time will Tell.

Volvo Cars Canada has been putting a lot of effort in lowering residiual values and offering competitive incentives. VCC has also put the emphasis on 2 models that ARE selling the most and that is mid size SUV and Mid-Size Sedans (XC60 and S60). It is the JOB of the salesman to SHOW you WHY Volvo is BETTER than Audi, BMW or Merc and they ARE.

Like any company that is "struggling" (and by that, I mean not meeting objectives vs. bleeding profusiously like Mitsubishi (which I think are also good little cars... Honestly.), there will be some adjustments made, but it is not something that will be done over night. For every challenge, there is a solution, unfortunately, some of those key people are not making the right choices and should be fired.

I am a Volvo owner and I really do think that people should give them a shot before judging what a marketing company from a comepitor is trying to "Sell you".

/My 2 copper coins.

Back