new CRTC wireless code

bigsmokes

consumers will be able to:
terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term
cap extra data charges at $50/month and international data roaming charges at $100/month to prevent bill shock
have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full
return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service
accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., 2-year), and
receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130603.htm#.Uay4KdJJN30

It's cool but i wish it was "retroactive". That is, I had hoped that current contracts would be subject to these laws, not those signed after December 2nd. Specifically, the damned cancellation fees!

It's cool but i wish it was "retroactive". That is, I had hoped that current contracts would be subject to these laws, not those signed after December 2nd. Specifically, the damned cancellation fees!

me too I was so bummed out when i read that :(

Alors les factures de plusieurs millions de $ d'utilisation de données ne seront plus possible.... il était crissement temps

the only thing that will happen guys is they will raise the price of the phones on upgrades or new activations

so expect your Iphone5 (example now its 180$) to be 300$ with these kind of terms OR they will make everything on 2 years and your penalty will still be wtv you have left to pay on the phone anyways.... so no change really cause the math will still balance out for cell companies

the 100$ for international data block is ridiculous if a high user goes to an international destination and does more than 100-150mb (companies will be losing then)

the 50$ cap for data is fair

Alors les factures de plusieurs millions de $ d'utilisation de données ne seront plus possible.... il était crissement temps
En effet !
La Facture devra trouver d'autres sujets de reportages ;-)
Je ne pense pas que ces nouvelles lois ne mettent en péril la survie des compagnies de télécom !

so, si en ce moment, jai pas de contrat avec fido, je paie par mois, j'ai toujour ete par mois, j'avais un cell avant d'aller avec eux.

si j'decide de me tapper 50gig de donné en 1 mois, c'est 50$ maximum?

so, si en ce moment, jai pas de contrat avec fido, je paie par mois, j'ai toujour ete par mois, j'avais un cell avant d'aller avec eux.

si j'decide de me tapper 50gig de donné en 1 mois, c'est 50$ maximum?

They will send you a warning letter and cancel your ass for excessive network use/abuse (or something of that sort)

50GB is obviously tethering/abuse

They will send you a warning letter and cancel your ass for excessive network use/abuse (or something of that sort)

well, when i had renegotiated my plan, i had gotten unlimited 2 months. I had one month at 26-27 and the second at 48. No complaints whatsoever. So i'm wondering if its the same as lets say the videotron 30-50$ charge back maximum. Ever if you go past 1tb in a month they have a max charge back amount.

they probably let it slide that way but I know that they track these things and reports do come out and its a judgement call at that point (the person who receives the report)...

usually first step is they call you and warn you/send a letter and if you dont comply afterwards they cancel you

or

after the 50$ is reached they lower your connection to 3G (they do that in the states) so you have slower internet afterwards

"The wireless code will apply to all service providers in Canada. In particular, the code will apply in full to postpaid services (where customers pay a monthly bill after using their services), and where applicable to pre-paid wireless services."

is this the part where my plan would fall into? at the begining I got a 1 month contract, and I've been monthly ever since.

Rectification; they will call and make a soft approach at 50gb and up, on a 3rd call they will most likely terminate the services for a breach of the terms but a letter will be sent each time but they do complete 3 calls/attemps.

50gb is abusive but data doesnt cost them squat unless you are roaming, in this case it will occur massive loss on their end and will bring some impact on the service charges.

"The wireless code will apply to all service providers in Canada. In particular, the code will apply in full to postpaid services (where customers pay a monthly bill after using their services), and where applicable to pre-paid wireless services."

is this the part where my plan would fall into? at the begining I got a 1 month contract, and I've been monthly ever since.
you are probably post paid.

Rectification; they will call and make a soft approach at 50gb and up, on a 3rd call they will most likely terminate the services for a breach of the terms but a letter will be sent each time but they do complete 3 calls/attemps.

50gb is abusive but data doesnt cost them squat unless you are roaming, in this case it will occur massive loss on their end and will bring some impact on the service charges.

how is it a breach of contract when you are in no way breaching the contract? i have 2gb included, 10$ every extra gb max 50$. wheres the breach?

how is it a breach of contract when you are in no way breaching the contract? i have 2gb included, 10$ every extra gb max 50$. wheres the breach?

I cannot recall the exact point in the terms but its in line with the amount of usage affecting other user on the network since you are causing a ''load'' on the network. Trust me they'll find the proper quote to get you out but as long as you do not use above 50gb you remain under the radar, Fido had an average of 250 customer underneath said threshold however only a handfull ever made it to above 50gb and most of them flashing a basic phone under the unlimited browsing option and tethering with it and were contacted and letter to lower their usage. Unless you have a true unlimited data option they wont bother since you have it but its a grandfathered option.

I cannot recall the exact point in the terms but its in line with the amount of usage affecting other user on the network since you are causing a ''load'' on the network. Trust me they'll find the proper quote to get you out but as long as you do not use above 50gb you remain under the radar, Fido had an average of 250 customer underneath said threshold however only a handfull ever made it to above 50gb and most of them flashing a basic phone under the unlimited browsing option and tethering with it and were contacted and letter to lower their usage. Unless you have a true unlimited data option they wont bother since you have it but its a grandfathered option.

what would be the threshold to not get bothered?

Anything bellow 45gb was not bothered with but kept under close watch to not go above the 50 mark

You should mention which company you're speaking about or for

Not everyone accepts that kind of threshold and quite frankly with this kind of policy they will review that once everyone starts using LTE speed as home internet yadda yadda... wont be 250-300 clients that are affecting the network anymore but much much more

My guess is, that they might disable your data transfer for the the rest of the month if you abuse. I think it's much better that way than paying 300k$ because you downloaded 50 gig.

Back