Looking for a good windshield replacement shop. other than the BMW dealer

Assman

this is an insurance job.
I have a 250$ deductible - cost of the OEM windshield @ BMW is approximately 800$+

My insurance will only pay a max of 120$ for labour - I would need to settle the difference for labour if there is one.

Problem:
The service department @ BMW, does not know (apparently) how long it takes to replace a cracked windshield of a 2012 car.:dunno:
- hence could not give an labour estimate, however did mention that they charge @135$/h.

what I'm thinking:
Given the vague answer of the dealership, Im considering taking the car to a glass shop (lebeau or duro etc)- as my insurance guarantees that I will be getting OEM parts (glass + rain sensor) ,as well as guarantees that the deductible of 250$ is all I will have to pay out of my pocket - labor and all included.

what my insurance agent says :
apparently when a car is brought to the dealership for a windshield job, they subcontract this type of work to places like lebeau, duro, anyways. Hence they try to get away by overcharging the insurance on these types claims by boosting the labour hours - therefore the insurance companies have countered this by telling the clients (me) that if they charge more than 120$, you (the client) will have to assume the difference. -

my question:
Although Lebeau/duro/docteur du parebrise, etc. shops are all supposed to be the same, is there one place in particular where someone knows that they will do a better job - OR does someone knows of somebody of a particular reputable glass shop who is used to changing glass on newer BMWs.

why this thread:

Last windshield I had changed at a glass shop (which will remain nameless) - on a 2009 LandRover was the worst possible thing that I could have done. - after 130km/h I had wind noise like I was driving a convertible!! OK a bit exaggerated... but you get the idea.

NB: please do not refer me to Joe the plumber who will change my windshield in a back alley for 50% off CASHDEAL..... :p

when I bought my car ... the second I brought it out of the dealer the windshield cracked (it was that week in February that it became freezing cold and they had just washed it)

long story short BMW Canbec had me come back and it was (as your insurance confirmed) a subcontracted company that came and changed the windshield (yes it was a BMW windshield with all the stickers and tags to prove it)

no clue if they ordered the windshield and these guys come and install it only or if the part also came from the subcontracted guy....

and if you're wondering... no I didnt pay for the repair nor did it go as an insurance claim since it was on the dealer lot yadda yadda...

Last edited:
Back