Why are E60 M5's so low on Dupont and eBay? Is it like this locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wise

They float anywhere between 25k-50k with 50k-100k miles. Anyone on the boards got an M5 for around that price?

cuz nobody want 8mpg car in montreal with our gas prices and 40% tax !!!! oo srry i forget , all MR members win 100k!!!! :D

Wild guess: that V10 was touted as the most advanced engine ever back then. Me thinks maintenance costs are astronomical...

Or at the very least, I'd buy as low as possible to offset the awesome repair bill if the previous owner was less than diligent with his own maintenance requirements.

SMG transmission and engine components aren't very reliable and are VERY expensive to repair. For example, the throttle body motor for one of the banks costs $5000.00 and they always break. And there are two of them. If you do a little research, a lot of repairs cost $10-$15k and aren't necessarily the result of poor maintenance or abuse.

Anything on these cars costs thousands of dollars to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
SMG transmission and engine components aren't very reliable and are VERY expensive to repair. For example, the throttle body motor for one of the banks costs $5000.00 and they always break. And there are two of them. If you do a little research, a lot of repairs cost $10-$15k and aren't necessarily the result of poor maintenance or abuse.

Anything on these cars costs thousands of dollars to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

GET 6 SPD TRANNY and one problem less !!!

M5 v10 = 7 speed auto ...

oooo yeah ? tell me about :)

justy for your info .8800 or so E60 M5s came to the U.S. In Germany, they got 1,647 units. Great Britain and Ireland combined for 1,776 units sold.
In U.S, SMG was 9-1 ratio or higher since 6sp only came in My07 and many opted for SMG (i think i saw 6 Speed for 9-10 SMGs i looked at when i bought my car). So you prob have less than 1000 copies in the U.S or world for that matter since 6sp only came to the U.S.

I looked into buying a used 08' with 60,000km, forget about it if it's out of warranty.

You basically need to rebuild the car at 100,000km:

1. New rod bearings
2. New SMG clutch, and most likely a pump
3. New VANOS & pump oil lines
4. New throttle actuators

Factor in 20L/100km, high insurance costs and unexpected electronic failures and you might as well buy a F10 M5 and just take the depreciation hit but don't pay anything out of pocket for maintenance.

I looked into buying a used 08' with 60,000km, forget about it if it's out of warranty.

1. New rod bearings

Factor in 20L/100km, high insurance costs and unexpected electronic failures and you might as well buy a F10 M5 and just take the depreciation hit but don't pay anything out of pocket for maintenance.

I'm astonished BMW would make such a poor product. I'm sure it's fast but if the car becomes such a mechanical nightmare and a financial liability after only 5 years its worthless. The 07 328i I had was the best quality car I ever owned though. Was still like new when I gave it back.

1. New rod bearings

You got it all wrong, average cons. is around 15L/100, in p400 mode with smg tranny on D2 or D3 mode you get 13,5-14 of youre careful. Insurance for me is 1950$ per year 500$ franchise and ive had lots of speeding tickets. No electronic failure, Smg clutch is approx 1500-2000$ job when you get the sachs package and thats only if the beast has been driven wildy (they last about 50K km). I changed the smg pump for 1200$. My friend has a M5 and 160 000km (more then double the milleage of my m6) and still has no issue lol and got a shitload of spirited driving. Never heard of throttle actuator. Rods bearings are done when you don't have proper oil maintenance with alot of spirited driving. but hey, it's a 100K car msrp, if you cant afford repairs then gtfo and don't even bother looking for another german/italian exotic. Faster then 95% cars you see on the road, faster then alot of rarri's and gallardo. Thing is its a GT car, not the fastest 0-100 but hey, you have alot of everything (confort,electronics,braking power,Hp,luxury, 300kmh with ease) and cheaper then m3 e90
and they dont stand a chance following the M5/M6 they are just wayy slower
Get proper maintenance and inspection, don't cut corners, she will reward back to you ;)

-johnn

s85 are bulletproof,V10 ITB redlining allday to 8700++ (get a evolve tune) . These honda guy tought they were cray with them itr vtec reving 9k lol...for more info M5board is you source, not MR with guys owning 328i lol...

1. New rod bearings

this ^^

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...recautionary-maintainence-vanos-smg-rods.html

there you go mofos.
i have smg and even if its more prone to repairs then 6mt, i would never go back, good maintenance is the key. Would never get a e90 M3 they are wayy too slow and more expensive. Coupe for coupe, E90 m3 are less then a 100pounds lighter then the m6 lol.
IMO when you pay 15000$ for a clutch maintenance on a ferrari 360 which is slow as fuck, the 3200$ combined jobs of clutch +smg pump to have a fresh Smg seems to be a good deal loll. 800 bucks is the price of parts for the Rods job if you have to get them done (or throw some lightweight carillo there @2k) and S85 have oem Mahle forged pistons. but anyway if you ever have a big issue on the engine, complete engine+tranny can be sourced @6 to 8K, again not that bad considering they were selling ITR swaps for 4500-5000$ and even more back in the days in montreal-nord lol

s85 are bulletproof,V10 ITB redlining allday to 8700++ (get a evolve tune) . These honda guy tought they were cray with them itr vtec reving 9k lol...for more info M5board is you source, not MR with guys owning 328i lol...

uh dude..you know you just insulted the owner of the forum on his own forum for no reason right? I think he was just making an observation about BMW quality with what he experienced himself. Good luck with your account here lol.

relax bro..no one's getting banned..it's a discussion forum...people should take a chill pill..
uh dude..you know you just insulted the owner of the forum on his own forum for no reason right? I think he was just making an observation about BMW quality with what he experienced himself. Good luck with your account here lol.

No insult here. I just think better m5board is a better source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back