Executive MBA ... your opinion (EMBA)

Dorift_it

I am at a point where i have maxed out my salary more or less. I am thinking of doing an executive MBA since some of them can be done in 16-20 months while working.

Has anyone ever done it ? is it worth the same as a regular MBA ? What is your opinion about it ?

I'd be curious to know as well. Aren't you a financial analyst though? I heard that these guys can make in the 7 figures!

Doing an eMBA will not drastically change your career. Only YOU can. The eMBA is just a tool to better do your job and get to be with "privileged" people for the time of the courses. You will still have to make contacts with the RIGHT people and must have a solid background. A MBA/eMBA is not a magic key to a salary raise....

Fun story:
I use to date a very well connected consultant girl who was quite dumb (seriously she was just a connector). She also went and did her EMba at Concordia and went out with them a few nights. My god, the average person there was not in the least bit of way impressive career, personality or just plain old intelligence wise. Yes 3-4 were stellar dudes (ceo of fortune 50 quebec companies) but the rest were cheese balls. One even didn't understand what quantitative finance was and he said he had worked with CME for 6 years. I also have a special place in my heart when they went to some wine salon and were all having fun as a group stealing bottles of booze after the show was over and comparing what they got outside.

Its also over 50K if i remember right for the Concordia EMba.

Much better off doing a standard MBA at Mcgill which has world recognition for the same money.

50k ? Concordia ? Lol. Anything over 2k that isn't McGill is a waste of money in this province.

I am at a point where i have maxed out my salary more or less. I am thinking of doing an executive MBA since some of them can be done in 16-20 months while working.

Has anyone ever done it ? is it worth the same as a regular MBA ? What is your opinion about it ?

My friend is doing it at the moment, it's every Saturday for a year and a half or two. It's expensive, it's around 30k but his work is paying for it. I know he did a bachelor in accounting before and now he's doing his cma (not sure the exact title) and executive bma.

If you have any questions in particular I could ask him.

My sister-in-law did the McGill / HEC Executive MBA. In order to be admitted, not only do you have to be able to pay for the tuition fees - $75K, yes, you read that right - but you also have to go through an interview process. Basically, the McGill/HEC EMBA handpicks their candidates according to a bunch of criteria.

As for the results of the EMBA for my sister-in-law, she quit her Canadian head of marketing job in Calgary for a well-known gas company only to be re-hired a little more than a year after by the same company for a Head of retailers position in Toronto, where she manages the biggest district in Canada. This decision basically saved her 10 years - the amount of time it would've taken her to get to that position without quitting and getting the EMBA in the first place.

The next step for her, and my guess is it'll happen in less than a couple of years, is a position in Europe or Asia for that same, internationally known petroleum / gas company.

I did an MBA so I'm bias but....In talking with folks who did an Exec-MBA, I found the program would skim over some major topics. Also, you generally don't get to pick any MBA level electives that would interest you (portfolio management, Corporate Finance, Venture Capital, Sustainable Business Strategy, etc...). Depends the school I guess. Yet, you get to know the small group of students really well.. excellent professional network.

On my end, I found the electives really interesting and rounded out the MBA.

Overall, I think the MBA will provide you a better education and set of tools to be successful... but that's just me. Both versions of the MBA are fine... but depends your ROI to shell out $35k+ for tuition.

Career and money is all nice and good, but once you have a family and are already making six figures, you start to realize another $25k or $30k per year may not be worth the 70 hours of work you need to put in..If your eventual wife also makes good coin, the extra dollars may not mean as much as the option to finish at 5PM everyday, take 4 - 6 weeks of vacation per year, etc...

Career and money is all nice and good, but once you have a family and are already making six figures, you start to realize another $25k or $30k per year may not be worth the 70 hours of work you need to put in..If your eventual wife also makes good coin, the extra dollars may not mean as much as the option to finish at 5PM everyday, take 4 - 6 weeks of vacation per year, etc...

Amen. Exactly my thoughts now that I'm a father.

I know more than a few folks closely who felt their MBA was a waste in this economy. In fact I make more money than them at the same institution w/o one because I'm more effective at doing my jerb. If you do DO one be sure to hustle every lead and contact because that's most of what you're getting out of it. When and if things start getting better and fucking boomers start retiring god damn it, then, THEN, maybe it'll be a prudent thing to do as we'll actually have some upward mobility as a generation, and executive jobs will actually become attainable w/o having to literally kill yourself.

To the OP, I would tell you to first find out what advancements and salary increase a MBA or EMBA will bring you in your field then compare to the investment needed and it will tell you if it is worth it.

Some good comments

In the end, nothing will make you a star more than being a solid professional, making good contacts and always thinking out of the box. What do you do to differentiate yourself in your career? If your idea is to get the MBA to answer that question, you're not trying hard enough.

Some good comments

In the end, nothing will make you a star more than being a solid professional, making good contacts and always thinking out of the box. What do you do to differentiate yourself in your career? If your idea is to get the MBA to answer that question, you're not trying hard enough.

MontrealM3 makes a good point. I know one dude came into an MBA with 2 years of experience making about $55k. He wasn't the best to work with and the quality of his group contributions were sub par... He expected to make $80k immediately after grad... 1 year later... he's still at the same place making the same dollars. Even though he has an MBA, his lack of experience, especially at managerial level, are holding him back.

Some good comments

Honestly a major chunk of why i want to do it is for myself. Just to learn and see different perspectives and point of views that i may not have taught of. What i do to differenciate myself ? i go out and bring more business to my company then any other people doing the same job. I ''innovate'' by finding ways to do things differently in my industry.

MontrealM3 makes a good point. I know one dude came into an MBA with 2 years of experience making about $55k. He wasn't the best to work with and the quality of his group contributions were sub par... He expected to make $80k immediately after grad... 1 year later... he's still at the same place making the same dollars. Even though he has an MBA, his lack of experience, especially at managerial level, are holding him back.

I do not have much ''people'' management experience however, it is a field i am interested in the future.

I was in the same dilemma,

ended up taking specific certifications, instead of the MBA. IMO in Quebec the MBA is not worth much on the market.

I have my CPIM and plan on getting PMP this fall/winter. Many jobs do require or at least strongly suggets to have it (meaning you probably go up the pile if you have it) where MBA it seems that yes it,s a nice to have but I haven't seen many jobs, even high caliber ones, requiring it...

In the US it's a whole different story, but even there the shine of the MBA has tarnished a lot. There was a good article about it in entrepreneur, or was it Inc.. or fast company, I'll try to dig it up

My sister-in-law did the McGill / HEC Executive MBA. In order to be admitted, not only do you have to be able to pay for the tuition fees - $75K, yes, you read that right - but you also have to go through an interview process. Basically, the McGill/HEC EMBA handpicks their candidates according to a bunch of criteria.

As for the results of the EMBA for my sister-in-law, she quit her Canadian head of marketing job in Calgary for a well-known gas company only to be re-hired a little more than a year after by the same company for a Head of retailers position in Toronto, where she manages the biggest district in Canada. This decision basically saved her 10 years - the amount of time it would've taken her to get to that position without quitting and getting the EMBA in the first place.

The next step for her, and my guess is it'll happen in less than a couple of years, is a position in Europe or Asia for that same, internationally known petroleum / gas company.

75k pour faire un MBA à McGill????

Je sais bien que McGill est une bonne école mais c'est pas overpriced?
À ce prix là tu es pas mieux de payer 10k de plus et d'aller en faire un à Harvard, Stanford, etc
Un MBA à Harvard coute environ 91k inculant assurances, logement et tout le reste...
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/financial-aid/Pages/cost-summary.aspx

^justement, si c'Est beaucoup plus ''facile'' être admis pour faire un mba à McGill le prix devrait pas être beaucoup plus bas que les Ivy League schools?

I was in the same dilemma,

ended up taking specific certifications, instead of the MBA. IMO in Quebec the MBA is not worth much on the market.

I have my CPIM and plan on getting PMP this fall/winter. Many jobs do require or at least strongly suggets to have it (meaning you probably go up the pile if you have it) where MBA it seems that yes it,s a nice to have but I haven't seen many jobs, even high caliber ones, requiring it...

In the US it's a whole different story, but even there the shine of the MBA has tarnished a lot. There was a good article about it in entrepreneur, or was it Inc.. or fast company, I'll try to dig it up

I guess we are in the same field. I looked up for different paths and i think the FRM is something that will be very valuable to get as well but it still doesnt provide you with ''real'' management skills.

From the way you speak i guess you have looked at CFA certifications as well ?

Back