Prefinished hardwood flooring: difference between brands?

GotBass?

Legacy Member
I'm planning on redoing the flooring in two rooms in the coming weeks and been shopping for some prefinished hardwood floor over the weekend. For the same wood species / grade / color / board width, there is up to a 2$ per sq. ft. difference between brands.

Is there a significant difference between brands? To me, they all look the same...

Any brand really better than others? Which one would you suggest? Mirage, Mercier, Appalaches, BSL, etc.

Any brands I should stay away from?

Visit Golden Elite and ask for ilia. say paul sent you. They have the best pricing and products in the area and he will answer all your questions.
http://www.goldenelitedeco.com/

2285 Place Transcanadienne
Dorval, Qc
H9P 2X7
514-243-8860
514-684-4209
Behind Leon's Furniture store on HWY40 right off the Des Sources exit. We are on the South side of the 40 going East.

Thanks, but I'm looking for an unbiased opinion, and I don't trust salesmen for that.

There are only two main sources for wood flooring in the greater Montreal area. This is one of them. If you buy elsewhere, it's marked up for profits and you didn't do your research.
They have high end and economic stock to choose from. Visit your home depot, costco or wtv, ask for advice, and then go see ilia (Thursdays through Mondays) and see what he has to say.

Just do some research on the finishing process for each brand. I'd go with engineered which is more stable when it comes to high-end quality flooring.

Tout déprend du grade que tu veux choisir ...
Les prix varie selon le grade surtout , 3/4 , 5/8 ...
2 pouce 1/4 , 3 pouce 1/4 , 4 pouce ...
Chene , erable , merisier , bambou , jatoba , ipe , noyer , cerisier ...

Personellement je travail beaucoup avec le Mirage , Goodfellow , Mercier . Tres bon produit , le plus fiable dans les boites pour le grade c'est le Mercier .
Magasine les prix mais si tachete dla chapote pas cher tu va en avoir pour pas cher , calcule une bonne perte , des plances croche , pleine de noeuds , craqué ou meme que la ligne de coupe est pas la meme sur toute les planches donc sa fait des beau gap .

Mirage le moulin est au quebec et je connais qqn qui peux avoir des tres bon prix si jamais t'en veux .

Reste a faire tes devoir et savoir ce que tu veux vraiment .
Le finit
la duretée
l'essence
le grade .

Voila pour la duretée ;) un bois avec une bonne durtée comme l'érable est moin propice au ''pock'' que le merisier meton .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

mirage, c'est du bon stock comme ca été dit, je crois que le vernis doit être canadiens, sinon c'est de la marde fait en chine.

Tout déprend du grade que tu veux choisir ...
Les prix varie selon le grade surtout , 3/4 , 5/8 ...
2 pouce 1/4 , 3 pouce 1/4 , 4 pouce ...
Chene , erable , merisier , bambou , jatoba , ipe , noyer , cerisier ...

Tu compares des pommes avec des oranges... Ce que je cherche à savoir, c'est ce qui justifie la différence de prix d'une marque à l'autre pour le même grade, la même essence, la même épaisseur, la même largeur... bref, pour des produits en apparence identique.

Je n'ai aucun problème à payer le gros prix, s'il y a un bénéfice réel... mais pour l'instant, je n'en vois pas.

Comme mentionne Riffo, il existe possiblement une différence au niveau du processus de finition. Toutefois, je trouve très peu de données qui permettent d'établir une comparaison entre les différentes marques.

stay away from bamboo, did a job for a client and that shit dents like no tomorrow.

Open the box and look for nice long pieces(4ft+). also make sure the colors are very similar.

Sometimes with cheap hardwood you'll get a lot of short pieces that are very abstract in color, which then leads to wasted time sorting through all the boxes to match the colors. (ie; darker vs lighter)

Tu compares des pommes avec des oranges... Ce que je cherche à savoir, c'est ce qui justifie la différence de prix d'une marque à l'autre pour le même grade, la même essence, la même épaisseur, la même largeur... bref, pour des produits en apparence identique.

Je n'ai aucun problème à payer le gros prix, s'il y a un bénéfice réel... mais pour l'instant, je n'en vois pas.

Comme mentionne Riffo, il existe possiblement une différence au niveau du processus de finition. Toutefois, je trouve très peu de données qui permettent d'établir une comparaison entre les différentes marques.
Hum... A part la finition du clear qui peux être supérieur jvois aucune différence pcq du chêne c du chêne

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

mirage, c'est du bon stock comme ca été dit, je crois que le vernis doit être canadiens, sinon c'est de la marde fait en chine.

Mirage is OK, but OK is no reason to be so overpriced. The only reason their prices are 2-3x market price is not because they have some sort of magical quality, it's because they are made in Quebec. Manufacturing here is much more expensive than manufacturing in China, so if you pick your Chinese manufacturer correctly, you will end up with better quality flooring at 1/3 the price. For example, Golden Elite and Mercier manufacture in China and in Quebec, their Chinese product has a nicer finish produced with German machinery, but the Canadian product is more expensive.

So yes, if you're feeling patriotic then go with some nice Canadian produced plank. If you feel like getting a high performance finish that's a cut above the rest, then look into some high end Chinese manufacturers.

Source: I've been selling wood for 12 years

There are only two main sources for wood flooring in the greater Montreal area. This is one of them. If you buy elsewhere, it's marked up for profits and you didn't do your research.
They have high end and economic stock to choose from. Visit your home depot, costco or wtv, ask for advice, and then go see ilia (Thursdays through Mondays) and see what he has to say.

I went and Golden Elite doesn't have what I need... Interesting that they're one of the two main sources for wood flooring, yet they don't have what I'm looking for, while most stores do.

Don't want to interfere with Gotbass thread but it might be to his eventual interest. What do you guys suggest is the best way to clean hardwood floors because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say those spray bottles with dry mop? just cold water and very well wringed mop? Mix of vinegar and water? I tried the spray bottle thing and my floors (2 years old dark wood) didn't seem much cleaner and used quite a bit of the bottle. This past weekend I tried simple cold water and wringed mop, to not leave any standing water on the wood, but feel like I didn't really disinfect anything using this method. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. And no I cannot use a brazilian maid to clean my floors.

Don't want to interfere with Gotbass thread but it might be to his eventual interest. What do you guys suggest is the best way to clean hardwood floors because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say those spray bottles with dry mop? just cold water and very well wringed mop? Mix of vinegar and water? I tried the spray bottle thing and my floors (2 years old dark wood) didn't seem much cleaner and used quite a bit of the bottle. This past weekend I tried simple cold water and wringed mop, to not leave any standing water on the wood, but feel like I didn't really disinfect anything using this method. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. And no I cannot use a brazilian maid to clean my floors.

Hey man, any floor cleaning product with soap will do the job. Water will just spread the dirt between the grooves and build it up. There's a product at Canadian Tire called "Le Savonneur" in a blue bottle which works best. BONA and Orb-3 are also good products but you need to find a dealer that sells it.

I went and Golden Elite doesn't have what I need... Interesting that they're one of the two main sources for wood flooring, yet they don't have what I'm looking for, while most stores do.

You should check out Planchers Economique in Boisbriand or Club Maison in Laval, they're some pretty reputed stores as well. Always call ahead to make sure they have what you want though!

Back