2.0t FSI ticking noise

T0o

Hi MR,

So i've been looking around the net for a while now concerning a problem I have with my 2006 A4. Everytime I start the engine there is a loud rattle sound which then comes to a ticking sound much like a TDI once the engine is warm. I've had my cam follower and everything that came with the warranty and recalls concerning the early B7 2.0tsi engines replaced. I've also replaced my N205 cam adjustement valve, but the ticking sound is still there, I know these engines are not the quietest because of the high pressure fuel pump, however, the sound coming off my engine is noticeably loud. I've read on Audizine that some people have had their cam tensionner was the culprit, while others claim its the belt slapping on the timing belt cover? Engine has 106 000km on it.

If anyone has had any personnal experiences or any knowledge about this problem, sharing it would be much appreciated.

I'll record a sound clip/video ounce I get home
thanks in advance

I believe its considered normal, i hear them all the time since i work in a dealership and nobody but me seems alarmed by those ticking sounds from the 2.0Ts

Thanks for the reply

So I understand our ticking is normal to a certain degree, I worked in a garage that specialized in VW/AUDI, and i've serviced a lot of b6/b7 and none of them compared to my ticking noise except for one other 2006 b7, we ended up replacing the HPFP and also the oil pump screen, along with the cam follower but there was still a loud noise coming out of it. I stopped working there a while, and when I came back that same customer had fixed the «problem», but he didn't know what had been done to the car...

I've had codes pop on, and off for a bad cam timing, but since i've replaced my N205 valve that hasn't been showing up anymore.

I understand you work for an Audi Dealership, do you know what ecxactly is under warranty and coverable? I still have the papers from my last service, but if i remember correctly they did not replace my HPFP

edit: i'll still post a sound clip so you can give me your input since you've probably have a better idea then me

this sounds very much like the cam chain tensionner. it uses hydrolic pressure from the engine oil to tension the chaint..it supposed to hold pressure even with out oil pressure but the seals fail in turn causing the tensionner to release pressure once engine is turned off thats when when you start the car it rattles loud then gets better as the oil pressure builds back up. aswell you should inspect you engine for sludge. a block oil pick up would cause low oil pressure and the first indicator usually is that the cam tensioner start to make increasingly louder ticking/ratling noise. i would deff get this replaced asap before it completly fails

I have the same issue with my b7, and I was talking with the brothers from strasse, they said it is totally normal.
I changed my timing belt, water pump, cam follower, cam shafts, hfpp, accessory belt tensioner and belt aaaaaaand the noise is still there.
So no worries about that

I have the same issue with my b7, and I was talking with the brothers from strasse, they said it is totally normal.
I changed my timing belt, water pump, cam follower, cam shafts, hfpp, accessory belt tensioner and belt aaaaaaand the noise is still there.
So no worries about that
can you get a sound clip?

thanks for the posts, I haven't had time for shit since i'm in midterm mode, but I really appreciate the feedback from you guys! I have next week off from school so i'm probably going to look into it deeper by then

these are not my videos but

so the above video, sounds perfectly fine to me, mine sounds more like this one:

some may argue camera sound quality or the distance from the engine, but the 2nd video definitely sounds louder

i'm probably bringing it in on friday to get the cam tensionner fixed, I wanted to wait it out, and do my Tbelt waterpump at the same time but what the heck

Back