Home thermostat "nest 2" installation

lord_galathon

I've been considering buying a better thermostat than the POS that came with the furnace when we had it installed in 2005. It's a Carrier furnace and heat-pump with AC (obviously) and occasionally the thermostat goes SNAFU and decides to just run the furnace at full blast until someone MANUALLY resets the whole system by turning the breaker off then on again IT Crowd style.

This usually happens when it's set on AUTO (not HEAT OR COOL) and there's a sudden and quick change in temperature, spring and fall. Yes, it just happened a few weeks ago when the temperature outside went from 4°C to 15°C in only a couple of hours.

I've since kept the thermostat on OFF since it's not cold enough to heat the house yet, but it doesn't get hot enough to warrant running the AC, on the odd day when I get home after work and it's like 23°C in the house I just open a few windows and run a cheap window fan.

I've been looking to replace that thermostat with a Nest 2. It's 250$ at Reno Depot and Home Depot, online, etc. and it's supposed to be easy to install and frankly, had I been confident that I could do it myself, I'd have done it by now.

Problem is as follows:

This is a picture of my thermostat panel.

thermostat.jpg

As you can see I have 9 wires running from the heat-pump/furnace/humidifier to the thermostat.

This is the Nest 2 panel:

35179222-11.jpg

The Nest company recommends a professional installation if I have dual energy (I do) or have a humidifier built into the furnace (I also do) but I'd rather not have someone else install it.

Any insight or tips on how to wire it or should I leave that up to Joseph Elie? Would they even know how to install it? They have to come soon for the annual fall maintenance on my furnace, maybe I can schedule them to install at the same time?

Here's a review of it:

Jai magasiné longtemps les thermostat. Le nest me plaisait mais pas assez de feature pour le prix.

J'ai pris le venstart T5900 (humidificateur option inclus)
165$

http://www.venstar.com/Thermostats/ColorTouch/

Les features que je cherchais :

- horaire de fan lorsque période de PAS de chauffage/climatisation. Elle part 15minutes à chaque heure, sauf la nuit.
- Thermomètre pour arrêter la dum-thermopompe quand la T ext est en bas de son efficacité (dans mon cas -14 et moins, le thermostat utilise le emergency)
- free cooling avec un damper sur l'échangeur d'air.

Sans compter toute les bébelles : graphique, wifi, horaire de jour divisé en 4 selon la saison, graphique de consomation, etc

Btw met un review quand tu l'auras, le nest avait lair bien apprécier sur le net. Check sil fait l'humidité aussi.

Le nest tu peux leur envoyer une pic et ils vont te dire comment l'installer!

ca parait tout de même que le nest est fait pas d'ancien(s) d'apple.

moins de features, mais facile, package attrayant et bon service clientele... et il vont en vendre 100x plus que tous les autres combinés!

I had my version 2 nest installed. They had to add a relay and didn't want to start screwing around

I want one!

Just one question, I have an odd heating setup since my house is old (100+ years), I didn't want to mess with electricals too much when I installed a wall mount inverter.

The company installed my inverter on the same power source as an existing electrical heating. A manual switch was installed so the inverter and electric heating cannot run simultaneously to prevent overloading the breaker. When it's -10 or warmer I run the inverter for heating and ac, when it's colder than -10, I flip manual switch to shut off power to the inverter and send power to the electric heater.

Do you guys think the nest of another type of thermostat could automatically flip on/off my inverter and electric heating instead of having to do it manually?

Je vais aller de l'avant avec le thermostat nest parce qu'il sera pris en charge par mon module control4.

Ne me reste qu'a valider s'il fonctionne bien avec un humificicateur et une heatpump.

A date , vos reviews?

that's a great gadget...sleek and looks nice on a wall. I would get one so bad but my thermostat is only 3 years old

Last edited:
Try to find on DIY forums.
This may help you:

Thanks but as you can see at about 2:00 in, he only has four wires running from his system vs my 9. I've called Joseph Elie and they're supposed to call me back with an estimate, when I get home tonight I'll look at the actual labels on the 9 wires.

As far as I can tell from my photograph, the extra ones are the O/W2 for AUX heat (W is heat from the heat pump, aux heat is from the oil furnace) then I have a Y (cooling for the AC), the HU wire (humidifier) and two extra wires, I can't see what the labels are because they're hidden by the wires on the photo.

Just a word of advice. I took the nest concierge service and thank god I did. It was installed incorrectly, nest payed another company to install it right the next morning, the service call cost more then What the install service was. Nest customer service was very good

After reading on hvac forums , ill leave the nest and go either with the ecobee or the honeywell prestige wifi... I guess the nest is good for more simple/basic setups.

If anyone wants a thermostat, instals or help/hints pm me

do you have a used/cheap one for heating floor 110V ? Apparently I have a heating floor in my bathroom, but it never been plugged. I tough that was a good idea to directly plug 110v on it, but some people told me to do the real test, you shall use a thermostat...

Back