JDM EVO 1 Track car project - Build Thread (lots of pics) - End of season update p10!

patrickd_21

Hi everyone,

So as some of you may know, I purchased a JDM EVO 1 this spring. Couple of specs below:

-4G63 making about 250hp
-5 speed manual
-AWD
-90 000km
-7/10 exterior condition
-7/10 mechanical condition

Pics from the day I got it

photo_zpse805b000.jpg

photocopy_zpsb0866edf.jpg

imagecopy_zpsd21d34dd.jpeg

Hanging out with the M3

imagecopy2_zps76ad91d0.jpeg

The car had the following mods:

-ground kit
-shitty radio
-advan wheels
-lowering springs on KYB shocks
-Massive axle back exhaust (dubbed the potato launcher)
-HKS mushroom filter
-Gauges

When I got the car, I was happy with it for the price I paid, but it needed some work...Major bushing play in the rear, knocking from every possible bushing in the rear suspension and front that you could imagine, torn CV boot, Torn tie rod boot, and no battery tie down. First order of business was to make a battery tie down:

image_zpsf04352db.jpeg

Also I HATED the wheels and I knew I needed to change the exhaust before it got me a ticket. The exhaust really wasn't loud, but it was huge, so I knew it wouldn't take too much time for a cop to get all excited about it...sure enough, 3 weeks later I got a ticket for it:

imagecopy3_zps3729fbe3.jpeg

So I changed the exhaust that week to a magnaflow Turbo XL. I hate the muffler because it's loud and sounds like shit IMO, but from my experience with my turbo civic, it's the one exhaust that will win your court tickets every time. So I had it custom fabbed at 191 Motorsport...mint job:

imagecopy4_zps3d71cf5a.jpeg

imagecopy6_zpsbf668d5a.jpeg

Now up until this point, the idea with the EVO was to keep it as a daily driver and keep my E46 M3 as a weekend car and track car only. Unfortunately, after a few events with the M3, I was reminded how expensive brakes and tires were on the car, and I also saw this picture, which started turning evil thoughts in my head...

imagecopy7_zpsb2a37189.jpeg

So from that day on, plans changed. The M3 went up for sale, I stared taking public transit to work (saving about 2 hours per day) and the idea became to build a budget (but still proper) track car over 3 years that I could still drive on the street if I needed to go to the grocery store, or drive into work on an odd day. I would also drive it through the winter for the first 2 years.

First thing, I NEEDED to get rid of the wheels asap. Sold the Advans and picked up so no name wheels for $100 so I could throw the same rubber on and throw winters tires on it later. When I picked up the wheels, they needed a bit of love, so I sand blasted them and repainted them, then threw them on the car...voila...huge improvement IMO:

imagecopy5_zpsfa68e349.jpeg

Next was to get rid of the knocking in front and back. Took me a LONG time to find the correct parts, but I got a hold of them. Changed front sway bar bushings, end links for whiteline poly units, rear upper control arm, rear endlinks, rear sway bar bushings, and probably some other bushings that I'm forgetting:

photocopy2_zps2d5254d8.jpg

Old
imagecopy8_zpse314c78a.jpeg

New
imagecopy12_zps2d0506b7.jpeg

Now the car tracked straight and the noise was gone! Success. Then I started slowly building my mod and maintenance list. My objective is to build the car to cost under $12000 (including the purchase price of the car) into a track car progressively over 2-3 years. Here is the plan:

Maintenance
-Rear Trailing Arm Bushing
-Front Lower Control Arms
-Spark Plugs
-Trailing arm control arm
-Timing Belt pulley kit
-Balance shaft eliminator
-Timing belt
-Fuel Filter
-Dent fix
-Misc
-Alignment

Modifications
-Boost Controller
-Walbro Fuel pump
-Injectors (560 from EVO 8-9)
-Ajustable FPR
-Cable Bushings (shift linkage)
-Base Bushings (shift linkage)
-Clutch (ACT 2600 street)
-ACT Streetlite flywheel
-Track pads (haven't decided yet)
-Stainless brake line
-Coilovers (would like to go for GC/Koni setup, but $1800 is $$$$ lol...to be seen)
-Over fenders
-Wheels (16x9 on all four corners)
-Tires (255 on all four corners)
-Seats
-Sway bar (whiteline)
-Downpipe
-Tune

After making my plan, I brought it to the drag strip to run a baseline. Car ran consistent to 1 tenth of a second on all runs and did a best of 13.7 @99.7MPH:

imagecopy11_zps49918f48.jpeg

Then some IDIOT hit me...Pisses me off because I would've pulled the dent and been done with it, but it cracked the paint and now it'll rust if I drive it through the winter...going to have to repaint the quarter.

imagecopy10_zps1a64da50.jpeg

imagecopy9_zps5efc9a39.jpeg

So that's basically where I'm at now. This is going to be a very fun project and I'll keep updating. Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:
Found my seats that I'll be picking up tonight...Really wanted to get two matching seats and these were a great find. Just have to buy brackets and mount rails and I'll be set! Can't wait to see them in the car!

1395382_10153319089405392_712376299_n.jpg

hopefully this will be epic

NICE seats!! it make such a big difference
isn't overkill for a 12k$ budget?
http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?856909-Status-Carbon-Kevlar-Seats

How much do they weight?

Not gonna lie, it's significantly overkill lol. I didn't pay the price listed there, but I didn't want to spend more than $500 for two seats and I did lol. These will cost me about $1000 once everything is said and done and bolted into the car. I splurged on these because they were a great deal, and I may be able to use them in my next car (2013 S4 or 2013 CLA45AMG). Worse case scenario, I'll sell them for what I paid.Looking at the seats more as an investment, and I'll try to cut elsewhere lol

As for the weight, I know they're light, but no idea on an exact number. I'll weigh them tonight!

Since I won't be doing big power mods, I'm going to try to go for weight savings to keep the car reliable and within budget.

Nice build! I always wanted an EVO like that.

I know the Advan wheels are ugly but I would have kept them, aren't they super light?

nice project man.

Let me know if you need a place for PDR, i know a bunch.

Also there are many baffled mufflers out there if you don't like the Magnaflow. (Flowmaster and Jones Exhaust)

Not gonna lie, it's significantly overkill lol. I didn't pay the price listed there, but I didn't want to spend more than $500 for two seats and I did lol. These will cost me about $1000 once everything is said and done and bolted into the car. I splurged on these because they were a great deal, and I may be able to use them in my next car (2013 S4 or 2013 CLA45AMG). Worse case scenario, I'll sell them for what I paid.Looking at the seats more as an investment, and I'll try to cut elsewhere lol

As for the weight, I know they're light, but no idea on an exact number. I'll weigh them tonight!

Since I won't be doing big power mods, I'm going to try to go for weight savings to keep the car reliable and within budget.
at 500$ it's a super deal. My Momo T frame were 17lbs; they ended their life in Adam's mini busa. The support was awesome; I fear that hard shell seats won't be as confy (so that is why I sold the Momo seat to Jason, for his Teg...). anyway, they look great and I'm sure they will hold you tight. They are at least 10-15lbs lighter EACH over the stock one, so it quite significant.

500$ for the bracket and sliders?

at 500$ it's a super deal. My Momo T frame were 17lbs; they ended their life in Adam's mini busa. The support was awesome; I fear that hard shell seats won't be as confy (so that is why I sold the Momo seat to Jason, for his Teg...). anyway, they look great and I'm sure they will hold you tight. They are at least 10-15lbs lighter EACH over the stock one, so it quite significant.

500$ for the bracket and sliders?

Nah I paid 800$. I was just saying that I didn't want to spend more than $500...made an exception cause these were awesome lol. I figure brackets and mounting will be another 200$

Nice build! I always wanted an EVO like that.

I know the Advan wheels are ugly but I would have kept them, aren't they super light?

Thanks! The advans were light, but when I put on wide fenders, I'll need new wheels anyways...so why not make the car look better in the mean time lol

nice project man.

Let me know if you need a place for PDR, i know a bunch.

Also there are many baffled mufflers out there if you don't like the Magnaflow. (Flowmaster and Jones Exhaust)

Can't do PDR cause the paint is cracked...need to repaint. That's what pissed me off the most about all of this...if it would've just been a dent, no biggie.

I meant PDR just to get the dent popped out, then paint it afterwards

Ok ya I see what you mean. Ok shoot me a few numbers. Only thing is it might be cheaper to get the dent removal and paint done by the same guy...don't know. I'll shop it and go with whatever's the cheapest option.

In for another headtuner, wish I had the budget to do a build like this, can't wait to see the final product!

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2

You sound just like me, convincing yourself with some retarded arguments to buy something that you don't NEED hahaha...

As if you'r going to use those seats in a 2013 s4 come on haha they are awesome but way too hardcore to put in a clean s4 lol these are for a track toy nothing else...

Some pole position for an s4 at top! lol

So pumped about these seats

1380822_10153357057650392_793063465_n.jpg

You sound just like me, convincing yourself with some retarded arguments to buy something that you don't NEED hahaha...

As if you'r going to use those seats in a 2013 s4 come on haha they are awesome but way too hardcore to put in a clean s4 lol these are for a track toy nothing else...

Some pole position for an s4 at top! lol

You're right lol. Meh, I'll just sell them then

Back