JDM EVO 1 Track car project - Build Thread (lots of pics) - End of season update p10!

Much needed update!

General thoughts on the 2014 season:

So this year overall I'm very happy with the car. I was able to really shake it down, find the problem areas and fix most of them while really being able to enjoy the car near the end of the season. I didnt do nearly as many events as I would have liked but still got some track time in at sanair, st-eustache and Mecaglisse on the new track. Brakes were pretty much the only glaring issue by the end of the year.

Brakes:
Big problem here with cooling. I melted a set of XP10's in about 3 sessions with my calipers catching fire... I've decided to stop screwing around, so I opted for a Wilwood BBK with a 309mm rotor and will be running an H series pad. In addition I have plans to make some brakes ducts over the winter to help cool everything down. This is what prevented me from really being able to push the car deep into the corners. Hopefully the BBK and ducts will solve my issue.

Suspension/Handling/Grip:
After playing with the alignment a bit, I now love the way the car feels. It feels really balanced all over the place allowing for the rear to rotate upon throttle lift. Understeer is almost completely eliminated other than a tiny tiny push on entry to slower corners...But I really dont mind it and anyways I thinks its inherent with an AWD car. Grip is awesome everywhere. Love the R-S3 and love the Koni/GC setup

Power/Reliability:
Other than my obvious issue with brakes, the car has been bullet proof. The car doesn't have a ton of power, but just enough to not get bored instantly. I'm looking to maintain reliability, and sort out all of my other issues with braking before even thinking about touching this.

To come in 2015:
Overall I'm very happy with the car. My goal in 2015 is to enjoy the car more, while really turning it into a real project. I plan to iron out the issues with brakes, fix a couple of small issues here and there (small oil leak, coolant leak, etc) and really make the car as mint as can be. Here's the list for 2015:

-pull engine and tranny
-change clutch
-clean engine bay and engine/tranny
-aftermarket motor and tranny mounts
-3 inch DP and cat delete
-aftermarket diff/driveshaft mounts
-Wilwood BBK
-brake ducts
-front canards
-front diffuser
-roll cage
-more weight savings
-complete fluid flush

EvoWorkinprogresscopy_zpsa090943a.jpg

Nice update! Seems like you have been busy!

Spotted you a few weeks back in ste catherine on the 132 wih the Benz. Car sounds mean, such a badass ride!

Nice update! Seems like you have been busy!

Spotted you a few weeks back in ste catherine on the 132 wih the Benz. Car sounds mean, such a badass ride!

Thanks man!

how do you keep your floors so clean ?? wow

Lol. Honestly they're dirty in that pic. But the floors are pretty easy to clean. A bit of soap and water and a mop and a squeegee and they're good as new

THE most important question:
will you bench your motor?

Lol

Bunch of parts came in for the EVO! I`ve got my PPL Transport Canada final theory exam Friday and then I`ll be starting the work on getting this thing back together this weekend. Cant Wait!

Parts list:

-Wilwood BBK
-stainless steel lines
-new coolant hoses
-new accessory belts
-Southbend Clutch
-a bunch of gaskets

1978685_10155148764530392_4894974990056701459_n_zpsxpqs3iek.jpg

SO the car started for the first time yesterday and should be back on the streets today!

One quick question for the few evo guys on here that lap. Do any of you have brake ducts? Where did you route them? Im trying to find room, but the passenger side is very very tight and I dont see how its possible to pas a 3inch duct through there....

One quick question for the few evo guys on here that lap. Do any of you have brake ducts? Where did you route them? Im trying to find room, but the passenger side is very very tight and I dont see how its possible to pas a 3inch duct through there....

I have been meaning to do it for a few years but never started :(

Had the chance to do my first lapping event of the year at Saint-Eustache yesterday. Brakes are finally in order even without cooling ducts. No fade all day, albeit st-eustache isnt very hard on the brakes. Car performed super well and with the exception of my OEM rad's end tanks starting to crack and leak, the day was flawless. So now I'm ordering a new aluminum rad asap lol. Quick pic from yesterday:

11139419_10155446424640392_325033397856039131_n.jpg

So a small update. New rad installed, Now running Wilwood Polymatrix A in front and EBC red stuff in back. I went to Tremblant this weekend and I really like the feel of the brakes. Unfortunately the pads wear extremely fast in front, so I really need to getting my brake ducts worked out to get the temps down...should help with pad life.

Also installed a new set of Hankook R-S3's on the evo. Overall the car performed really well all weekend. Ran consistent 1:56-1:57's.

Going back in August. Plan on getting new pads in front, and not decided with what im going to run.

Back