JDM EVO 1 Track car project - Build Thread (lots of pics) - End of season update p10!

but why not put all ur money , ur love and attention one 1 bad ass car ... then having 2 ? just saying u have a nice 1 serie for a dayly

A full track car isn't exactly comfortable everyday lol. Plus I'm not going to drive it in the winter.

Anyways, received my clutch as mine is slipping! HKS Twin disk and Light weight flywheel!

1526490_10153714376635392_1359621162_n.jpg

A full track car isn't exactly comfortable everyday lol. Plus I'm not going to drive it in the winter.

Anyways, received my clutch as mine is slipping! HKS Twin disk and Light weight flywheel!

1526490_10153714376635392_1359621162_n.jpg

looks a bit second-hand there is that normal?

looks a bit second-hand there is that normal?

It would appear to be second hand, because it is second hand lol. Assembly has 20 000km on it, but the guy just did a full rebuild on it to sell it...clutch packs, disks, etc are all new.

It would appear to be second hand, because it is second hand lol. Assembly has 20 000km on it, but the guy just did a full rebuild on it to sell it...clutch packs, disks, etc are all new.

out of curiosity, are these discontinued? I bet they're worth over 12 hundred you probably got a hell of a good deal

out of curiosity, are these discontinued? I bet they're worth over 12 hundred you probably got a hell of a good deal

New the clutch is 1700. A rebuild kit is $800. The seller had posted it for 900 but due to the lack of Evos in North America, he had a very hard time selling it. I offered him 500 shipped and he refused...1.5 months later he came back and accepted it for 500 shipped

More parts ordered this week! I decided on the dimensions and model for the fender flairs...selected a 3inch flair from a 240sx, made of ABS plastic. Should be arriving in 2-4 weeks.

Also found that both of my outer tie rods were worn. So instead of going OEM, I did a bit of research and found a guy online in the states that makes fully custom and adjustable tie rods with spherical bushings. The great thing about these tie rods is that they are adjustable in height allowing me to adjust the angle at which the tie rod sits on the knuckle with a lowered car, improving suspension geometry, and eliminating bump steer which is an issue with these cars when lowered. Anyways, those should be arriving in 2 weeks!

Then I picked up two new wheel bearings to install the rear extended lugs, a new fuel filter, water wetter, clutch alignment tool, new CV boots, and Stainless Steel braided brake lines for all four corners.

As of right now, I've officially bought all of the parts needed to get the car on the track. The total has some to $6300 in parts, which is pretty much exactly on budget, so I'm happy. Then the serious work starts as I bolt up all the new parts in about 4 weeks...

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SNOW TO START MELTING!

After this, the only thing I'll have left to purchase it the spacers which will only be bought when the fenders are matted up to the car and I can test fit the wheels for exact fitment!

Christmas today! Other than 2 new rear wheel bearings that I have, but are not pictured, and rivets for the fenders, this is IT!

-3 inch wide ABS plastic over fenders
-Front and Rear Stainless steel braided lines
-Water Wetter
-Transmission fluid
-diff fluid
-new CV boot
-OEM fuel filter
-new clutch bearing
-clutch alignment tool
-Custom roll adjustable tie rods

I mocked the fenders up to the body, and its a decent fit that will require minimal work. One thing is for sure, it will look absolutely insane.

I'm on vacation in 2 weeks, so the real work will start soon! Plan is to have everything done by April 1st!

1796452_10153843116745392_1153880377_n.jpg

1780745_10153843116930392_236430558_n.jpg

I have the same car. Cool to see your project. :bigup:

I have the GC/Koni setup. Awesome on the track but stiff as hell in real life. It's also super low (even at the highest setting) and the camber plates do not fit correctly without modifications.

Did you take it out on the track yet? Brakes will definitely need serious attention. If you stay with the stock calipers, I highly recommend Carbotech XP10's all around.

I am pretty sure you will have to butcher the fenders and quarter panels to fit 255's.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Good luck!

Karim, seeing as I'll be doing the GC/Koni suspension install soon (in 2 weeks) I wanted to know exactly what you meant when you said the camber plates will need modification to fit correctly. Thanks for your help!

Quick update;

-Coilovers installed
-Rear adjustable toe arms installed
-Rear adjustable camber arms installed
-Trailing arm bushings installed
-Ordered new LCA's and those are installed
-Driver's side seat is installed
-made solid base bushings for the shifter

Bad news, front lower control arm bushings are finished...Ordered new bushings today, should get them Monday and install Monday night.

More bad news, Driver's side seat is wayyyyyyy too high. Gonna need to re-fit it to a lower position...meeting with Matt, owner of 191 Motorsports on Sunday to find a solution.

And even more bad news...looks like I've been scammed on the twin plate clutch I bought. Took apart the unit to inspect it and there is virtually no friction material left on the clutches. The guy told me they were brand new...Seeing what I can do to get my money back now. Shitty part is it's been 3 months...I should've checked it in December when I received the clutch.
Plan going forward:
Saturday
-install custom inner/out tie rods
-install rear extended studs
-install new rear wheel bearings
-measure up and mark fenders

Sunday
-install wide fenders
-install summer wheels
-Find solution for driver's seat

Monday
-Install new control arm bushings

Tuesday
-adjust ride-height

Thursday
-Alignment at WeTune (planning for: camber- -2.0fr -1.9 rear with zero toe up front and 3/32 in the back)

Next weekend
-install stainless brake lines
-fluid flush
-install pads
-install new fuel filter
-install transmission side cable bushings
-final inspection

Then I should be ready to hit the track. Pictures to come!

Chouette! Hâte de voir ça sur la piste cet été.

Note: Photos du début du thread ne fonctionnent plus ...

Chouette! Hâte de voir ça sur la piste cet été.

Note: Photos du début du thread ne fonctionnent plus ...

Hmm strange, they still work for me.

UPDATE! Suspension is fully together. Installed my over fenders last night, here's the result!

10170769_10153946614125392_1250288967_n_zps4659ae51.jpg

Bad news; It's rubbing like a mother fucker lol. Front is an easy fix as it's only rubbing on the side skirt a tiny bit. Cutting that off should take 5 minutes.

In the back however, it looks like where the door comes down into the wheel well, it's still rubbing. I tried to move as much material as possible, but I think I'll need to cut into the door. Tonight I'll jack the car up. and then stick a secodn jack under the wheel to compress the suspension fully and see where it's rubbing and how much material I need to remove to stop it from rubbing. Anyways, should be fixed tonight.

Still needs spacers (25mm front, 30mm rear) and then I'm good to go

Back