JDM EVO 1 Track car project - Build Thread (lots of pics) - End of season update p10!

I'm not too sure about the 531's... its a hard wheel to pull off if you're not laying frame or running a big size with stretched tires

[im]http://www.fotomecanico.com/miata/xxr531-000.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attachments/wheel-tire-upgrades/74506-post-up-pics-your-xxr-wheels-img_0729.jpg[/img]

[im]http://www.marshallmotion.net/storage_yo/e30.jpg[/img]

True story...those all look like shit lol.

So the search continues for wheels...

SSR Professor SP1 R Wheel 16x9 4x100

That would be sick on your evo... Way over your budget though... :p

There are not a lot of options available in that size...

Ya wayyy over budget lol. If I had 2-3k for wheels, I'd probably do a custom set of TE37's. Anyways, I've found these...not a huge fan, but they're available in the sizing I need. Still mulling them over though...not really the look I was going for...

DSCN2987.JPG

Also I'm open to any 16x9 0-15 offset wheel that is a 4x100...I'll just redrill at this point if it gives me more options...

After a huge amount of back and forth, Im placing an order for a set of Varrstoen wheels for the Evo. 17x9 4x114.3 0 offset.

timthumb.php

I might roll them Flat black as they are or powdercoat them bronze...not sure yet

Last edited:
please tell me it's the ES2!

Yes they are :). Bad news...I just called to place the order, and they JUST sold their last set of 0 offset ones...Varrstoen doesn't make the 0 or 12 offsets anymore, so I need to find someone with older stock that either still has a model with the 0 offset or 12 offset. FML...too good to be true lol

So now I need to decide whether i go with the Varrstoen ES2 in 22mm offset, or go with rota Grids...(I don't really like grids...). Might get the 22mm offset Varrstoens and run a 10-15mm spacer

Last edited:
Decided to go for the 22 offset and run some spacers...and extended studs...and hubcentric rings...fml lol

ScreenShot2013-11-11at12504PM_zps4ef9c1df.png

Last edited:
Ça va être beau !!
Ça me donne le gout de ravoir un evo 1, avec l'hiver qui arrive en plus.. que de plaisir

2 pages of wheel talk! Where's the work!

Lol I know! It's coming. Plan is as follows; get wheels, install, take measurements to figure out what fenders I need, order fenders, measure 100 times, cut

This will definitely be a long ongoing thread. The "real" work will probably only start around mid January...unless I get impatient lol

Spacers on a track car ? I always heard they were not good on wheel bearings (even though I don't have any problems myself but I don't push my car really hard or go on the track but wtv...)

Good choice of wheels... too bad you didn't find any low offsets :(

well if the spacers are hub centric I think it's not as hard on bearings. I know lots of people doing heavy track with spacers. Altough, I personally always tried to avoid them on track (as well as daily driving)

Spacers on a track car ? I always heard they were not good on wheel bearings (even though I don't have any problems myself but I don't push my car really hard or go on the track but wtv...)

Good choice of wheels... too bad you didn't find any low offsets :(

well if the spacers are hub centric I think it's not as hard on bearings. I know lots of people doing heavy track with spacers. Altough, I personally always tried to avoid them on track (as well as daily driving)

Exactly. I've run spacers on all my previous car, and they all saw heavy track duty. Never had an issue. Plus I know of a ton of pro drifters and race cars that run large spacers with no issues. I don't see it as being an issue.

Got a sweet deal on some new Hankook Winter i-Pike RS (W419)-195/55R16. Installed them this past weekend. Going for anti-rust treatment this Friday and then I'll be ready to rally through the snow!

photo_zps4e7f2b27.jpg

Sooooo, last night I did a trip to Freeport Forwarding. Picked up Megan adjustable upper and lower control arms for the EVO along with my wheels, which I'm in LOVE WITH!

1450820_10153545793400392_1490770675_n.jpg

1424304_10153545810245392_370574338_n.jpg

So now for the bad news, Varrstoen sent me the WRONG bolt pattern! Fuuuuuuu! Sent me a 5x114.3 wheel instead of a 4x114.3 wheel. I was on the phone with them last night and they seems to be very willing to help me out. They'll be sending me a new set with a prepaid shipping label, and a set of extended lugs, hubcentric adapters, and Valve stems for my troubles! I'm happy with that :).

Also, placed an order on Friday for my suspension as Ground Control had a Black Friday sale with 20% off! So I picked up a Koni/GC kit for the evo with spring rates of 450 front and 350 rear. Build time is 2 weeks, so I figure I should get them by January. Pretty excited that this is coming together!

nice!
bench the shit out of them :p

looks like you are going all out again, it a question of any hours before you double that budget; build the engine, cage, etc... :D
BTW, I really like theses winter wheels as well

nice!
bench the shit out of them :p

looks like you are going all out again, it a question of any hours before you double that budget; build the engine, cage, etc... :D
BTW, I really like theses winter wheels as well

Lol. If the engine lasts 2-3 years, I'm leaving it as is. But if I have problems, there's a high chance that something fun will happen.

Back