Consumer reports explain why they hate the IS250 and Q50

Dubweiser

To sum it up:

IS: apparently everyone tested the RWD IS350 F-Sport. CR tested the AWD IS250 which is supposed to represent 80% of sales. They hate the hump for the AWD, it's small, underpowered and get 21mpg.

Q50: too expensive, crappy steering, bad fit and finish, G37 is still going to be sold for cheaper than before

I'm pretty sure both are pretty good cars, but it goes to show just how high standard are and how tough the competition is...

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

Actually for once I agree with CR...

The trans hump is massive in the lexus it's freaking comically large and as Rolls Royce once said " The power is adequate". It's not slow but it's not even quick its just "adequate" for moving along. My friend has a previous gen IS250 AWD and forget about putting people in the back seats... The automatic trans is also the slowest shifting auto in the history of the world in sport mode. He bought the Lexus around the same time my mom got her 328i X drive and yes while the BMW might have crappier seats the thing actually has good power, good steering(Hydraulic FTW) and you can fit people in the back. Not to mention in manual mode the transmission pounds out the shifts even at redline. That being said I'd still take the Lexus...

The Q50 has a steering selection mode "Comfort, Normal and Sport" Seriously? I can only imagine the fit/ finish considering the fit/finish on the G37 isn't exactly fantastic and the trim starts wearing off.

IS250 is a joke. Always hated that car and the people who drive them lol

The Q50 I find beautiful. Especially that front end... looks very Jaguar-ish

So, they wanted the sporty feel in non sport base versions...okkkkaaay.

Then they say, "well, horsepower is not everything" but then go ahead and say stuff like "that motor is slow, blablabla, it's boring, blablabla".

Best review ever. These guys should send their résumé to Pierre Michaud.

Stopped reading at Consumer Reports....

They're right though.

I tried the exact same car (14' IS250 AWD). The only good reason to buy it, is if you like the looks.

Otherwise every single car in its class has a better entry level model.

As for the Q50, haven't tried one, but from what I heard Infinity is continuing production of the G37 and will be sold alongside the Q50 for a few more years, at a discount(much like VW did with the city Golf/Jetta)... It sounds like the better buy is the old G37 at the lower price...

Im not a fan of CR in any way, i always prefer an automobile journalist to a consumer advocate, but I have to agree with them on this one...

They might be right here but it's definitely not the type of source I'd consider taking into consideration when evaluating cars.

At least as far as the Q50 is considered, on paper, it looks like a pretty sweet deal in the power/$ department.

Oh no, the AWD hump...

3333_59.jpg

Quite big actually..

Lol avec une photo pareil une Fiat 500 a l'air grande...

BTW le pere a mon ami en a une, il fait 6 pieds 1 et c'est impossible d'etre assit derriere lui. Quand j'ai vue ca la premiere fois je suis partie a rire, il doit avoir 4-6 pouce entre la banquette arriere et le dossier du banc avant quand le siege est moindrement reculé.

Lol avec une photo pareil une Fiat 500 a l'air grande...

BTW le pere a mon ami en a une, il fait 6 pieds 1 et c'est impossible d'etre assit derriere lui. Quand j'ai vue ca la premiere fois je suis partie a rire, il doit avoir 4-6 pouce entre la banquette arriere et le dossier du banc avant quand le siege est moindrement reculé.

Je pense qu'il parlait du bosse quand il a dit que c'est "big", pas l'interieur. Maybe not...

Yes it's true.

Quand j'ai eu la mienne, je savais très bien que l'espace arrière était pratiquement inutilisable. En fait, y'a juste les ladies qui peuvent fitté plus ou moins bien à l'arrière. La valise est spacieuse en masse, j'ai tjrs réussi à faire rentrer ce que je voulait dedans, sans problème.

Moi, ça m'a pas empêcher d’être preneur. Est-ce que j'en rachèterai une? Oui mais en version 350 seulement. Oh and by the way, la consommation de gaz du 2.5L est très raisonnable, ça fait bcp mieux que du 21 MPG.

EDIT: En fait, t'as la consommation d'un 4 cylindres de 2.5L, mais avec 2 cylindres de plus. Un peu plus de torque, ce qui vient rejoindre les commentaires qui disent que la voiture se déplace "bien", sans être rapide.

Every generation IS had very little legroom in the back. It's known and if that's a crucial factor this is not the car for you. It's one of the few in its class that didn't grow in size considerably over the years so it makes sense. The bench is very comfortable though, in terms of "shape".

I even found the front seats very "snug". But that's something I personally like, you feel much closer to all commands. Most americans will feel claustrophobic in it though.

I did 1200km trip with my is250 rwd with my gf and parents and there was plenty room behind me my gf. I'm 5'9 btw.

Anyway, new one has more space back there and it's acceptable. I was doing 7.2l higway with my 6spd manual. It was slow as hell I'll give you that, but comfort wise and everything else it was top notch.

Back