Aware me on xbmc

Spaceman Spiff

I would be interested in cutting cable if i could find a good alternative. So what is xbmc?

-What hardware do i need?

-Where do i get tv show? Torrents or a web site?

-Anything else i need to know?

xmbc isn't just a media home player? playing your music\video and it can go on youtube netflix and some online tv channels.

I'm using it time to time on my htpc, but I'm always back in windows with normal players such media classic player homeT edition.

Hard ware : pc?

I've a Zbox, wich it does the job for the low price. double face taped on the back of my tv. I use the little logitech keyboard with the trackpad.
http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox.html

Its a bare bone pc, put ubuntu, windows, etc. you have the choice
Myth tv for linux is way better than xbmc, but it needs some tweak to get it perfect.

OR

My friend has this : http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv120.asp
url

Media home theater on a hdmi stich with android. Is an option, but it really not that impressive.

Personally, I've heard of people using an android TV that boots straight into XBMC. Similar thing can be done with an unlocked Apple TV, however I think you always have to go through the Operating System.

Essentially, it just streams the shows online. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, but most of the time it works well.

I have Bell tv, but never watch it. I find it's all crap, and I prefer to read my media. When I have a couple hours to kill, I'll go to my friend's house and watch shows or movies on his Android TV.

They got it from this guy www.montrealappletv.com/

Note, that sometimes it goes down, and you have to bring it back to get the software updated. You could likely do it yourself, however my friend couldn't be bothered.

Expect to spend $170, with an awesome keyboard remote, to get going.

Payback, technically, is around the 3 month mark (over Cable/Bell).

install XBMC

Add XUNITY REPO (
)

Install the Wizard.

Watch TV/movies 720p

If you dont want to have a laptop or PC in living room get a Minix, very small quite powerfull running Android OS

I've been using XBMC a little over a year, I'm up to Frodo 12.2 and it's great!

Core2Duo 3Ghz, 2Gb RAM, nVidia 470GTX (overkill but I had it so why not use it...) and a Xonar DX audio connected to my HT receiver via optical.

I put in a Hauppauge TV tuner but I should've known better from past experience with Hauppauge, they're the "brother printers" of TV tuners, the drivers and software are unstable and it often crashes, I'm going to remove it when I have a couple days off around christmas.

And yeah, there are lots of remote control options for XBMC, I use the Candy thumb keyboard but I also like Yatse! for Android which is cool.

From my side I have XBMC on my media PC with Navi-X installed, however the links rarely work and it crashed a lot...

Is it because of the updates or new programs that need to be installed like XUNITY?

I don't stream, because I don't like the quality. I download en mass.

Use plex if you stream to multiple boxes.

I've posted it up here before, but I'll post it again.

I have unlimited downloads between 2am and 8am, so duing the day my server watches the list of shows I watch, any show that gets aired that day gets put on the watchlist, when the NZB gets released on nzb.su my server downloads it and adds it to my download manager sabnzbd. at 2am my downloader turns on, it downloads all the shows, runs a parity check, unrars them, renames them and moves them into a complete directory, sickbeard monitors that directory and when a new show pops in there, it downloads the NFO files, subtitles, sets the quality, then moves it into my protected raid array, then sends a notice to my plex media center that the show has been added. The server downloads about 60-70 gigs a night, tv shows, movies, comics, music, all without my interaction (with the exception of movies... I have to choose which movies I want, but I set that up by making an IMDB watchlist, so and show I add to that watchlist gets added to my server, it's just easier for the wife to use)

once that is done, I can fire up plex on my phone, tablet, htpc or at a friends house, the server is running the backend, and it can stream to any one of the clients, if I am on my dataplan, plex will transcode the video from 720p to 240p on the fly. it also catalogs which shows I watch so I have a "on deck" area which lists what episodes i'm currently on.

I'd love to use XBMC for the plugins, but I havent needed to yet. XBMC is a little heavier overhead (I know plex is an xbmc fork) plus the database is local, not remote, there is a remote SQL database I can build, but it's still in alpha.

I have unlimited downloads between 2am and 8am, so duing the day my server watches the list of shows I watch, any show that gets aired that day gets put on the watchlist, when the NZB gets released on nzb.su my server downloads it and adds it to my download manager sabnzbd. at 2am my downloader turns on, it downloads all the shows, runs a parity check, unrars them, renames them and moves them into a complete directory, sickbeard monitors that directory and when a new show pops in there, it downloads the NFO files, subtitles, sets the quality, then moves it into my protected raid array, then sends a notice to my plex media center that the show has been added. The server downloads about 60-70 gigs a night, tv shows, movies, comics, music, all without my interaction (with the exception of movies... I have to choose which movies I want, but I set that up by making an IMDB watchlist, so and show I add to that watchlist gets added to my server, it's just easier for the wife to use)

once that is done, I can fire up plex on my phone, tablet, htpc or at a friends house, the server is running the backend, and it can stream to any one of the clients, if I am on my dataplan, plex will transcode the video from 720p to 240p on the fly. it also catalogs which shows I watch so I have a "on deck" area which lists what episodes i'm currently on.

I'd love to use XBMC for the plugins, but I havent needed to yet. XBMC is a little heavier overhead (I know plex is an xbmc fork) plus the database is local, not remote, there is a remote SQL database I can build, but it's still in alpha.

are you god

From my side I have XBMC on my media PC with Navi-X installed, however the links rarely work and it crashed a lot...

Is it because of the updates or new programs that need to be installed like XUNITY?
With xunit wizard installed it works great. I get fast streams @ 720p .

Shows come online 45-60 mins after its aired.

Posted via Topify on Android

For a budget installation, I got myself a used Dell Optiplex SFF, core2duo, bought a Fanless HD6450 with HDMI/Sound over HDMI, and a nice IoGear Wireless keyboard with trackball. All for 140$. The PC is small so you can hide it anywhere, doesn't make a sound and do everything I need at 1080p.

Another thing I forgot to mention is Sick Beard PVR. That thing is AWESOME, watches out for your favorite shows and downloads them without intervention. It's cool, for example I know Supernatural plays Tuesday @ 9PM, sickbeard knows that too, and it ends at 10PM so at like 10:05 it starts querying some NBZ sites and when it hits, it downloads the show automatically.

Typical results = by 10:25 or so the show is in its designated folder on my media server.

Teach me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Je le roule sur ma tv avec un apple tv v2,seulement le v2 fonctionne avec xbmc,tu peux ecouter n'importe qu'elle série ou film avec ca,exemple walking dead joue le dimanche soir a amc bien 30min apres il est on sur icefilm ou one.
Mais il n'y a pas grand chose en Français alors si tu cherche des add on en Français tu vas voir qui a pas grand chose appart 2 gars qui en ont fait.

i cut everything .... bought a high powered repeater and having free 18mb/s unlimited internet from my brother thats lives infront of my house , so no more cable , xbmc + ps4 + public mobile cell phone and voila ! im saving about more then 200$ per month ;)

Back