My dilema (5D MarkII)

HighDbHighRevs

I've been reading/researching on multiple different forums and I'm still unsure how to attack this. I know MR has a lot of talented photographers willing to help out, hence this thread.

I've had my 5DMarkII for about 2 years now (bought it used) and its starting to act up on me. I've been in contact with Canon and we've pretty much diagnosed the problem. It seems as if I have to replace my shutter assembly within the next year.

Here's the dilema:

Replacing a shutter assembly could potentially cost up to $700 (but will it be as if it was brand new?).

Or, should I get rid of it and purchase the MarkIII (body only)?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.

Getting rid of it... does it mean selling it to someone else who will have troubles with the camera?

700$ for a camera that still has a value of 1300$.. it's worth it, you can always sell it later and you will have ~5-600$ in your pockets

5D3 is a good options but there are rumors that a new full frame body will be released by canon at the end of the year.. it may be a good idea to keep your money using your 5D2 until then (but the value of the 5D2 will go down drastically)

If you go for the 5D3 route, get yourself a used body, I've seen some at 2500-2600$

Wow I didn't even know that there was rumors of a new release.

Well essentially yes. But the thing is, I don't want to sell something thats on its way out and have that on my conscious. So I have that argument as well.

You bring up some good points! I guess the order I would attack this situation (if canon releases a new body) is to fix the markII, keep it until Canon reveals their new product, then make a decision on whether I should get the new release or the 5D markIII.

That way I could sell a perfect MarkII and not worry about an unhappy buyer.

Do you guys recommend me doing it through Canon? or is there a third party company you guys trust that do these repairs?

Bring your camera to Photoservice, Gosselin Photo or other

They will ship the camera for you at Canon

Cost will be 40$ then they will call you with an estimate of the cost of repair. You will take the decision to repair or not at that point.

Go see Richard at Gosselin Photo in Laval, he's a MR member

I'd do the repair, the MKII is a great camera. the new full frame will probably be either a 6D replacement or a supposely high MP fullframe, so the price will be way to high.

Ya thats what I figured. I sent my camera off to Canon today to get repaired.
I'm going to wait a while and decide later this year whether I upgrade or stay with it.

Thanks!

Thats what I was expecting. Not too too bad. When I first started reading about it, I heard numbers like $700 .. Got a bit nervous haha

Back