External hard drive issue

$THE AFTERMATH$

Legacy Member
So i have this 1Tb seagate external hardrive for 2 years now...
During the holidays, i downloaded like 200 movies and since then im having major issues with it.

First, downloads would finish because the "path" was broken or something like that...
I would unplig and replug and it worked fine.

Now if i play a movie from it its fine for 5 minutes, then pixels/sound lost and then it crashes.

Whats the problem you think?

It could also be the USB connector on the drive itself. I have a few dead boxes like that because eventually the PC stops detecting it, so I opened the enclosures, bought a cheap 20$ new one and voila, brand new drive.

Make sure you test the drive itself before buying a new enclosure, most external drives you buy have normal standard hard disks in there.

It's probably defective. If it is, you may try to save all your data by putting it in the freezer half an hour and copy what you can, and repeat

Not saying this won't kill your drive, but I saved almost 3TB of data (and some precious precious pr0n) this way. Mine had the same problem it stopped after 5 minutes. I was able to copy everything this way (no bad sectors, just a bad drive).

You can also try removing it from it's casing and trying it inside your PC or in another casing. It may only be the casing that's defective.

Last edited:
Back