Fuel expense as a salesrep question

$THE AFTERMATH$

Legacy Member
So im a salesrep and i can expense my gas...
I drive a tdi and my gf a reg gas car...

She hates fueling up and leaves early. She will sometimes leave me her car almost empty.
So i fill it up and go to work for a day or 2 and expense the gas bill.

Now my boss questioned me about it...i explained, but he thinks im somehow "stealing" from the company.

Now i understand his way of thinking because at the end of the day i might not use 100% of that gas for work purposes...

Anyway, how could i argument about the fact i had no mean to "steal" even though the employer ended up paying for a bit of my gf's personnal gas?

He's right in his accusation, you are fraudulently claiming expenses.

I understand that you're rationalizing that you've driven it for a day or two after filling up, but if you're claiming an entire tank of gas for your gfs car (and by that logic, she's also driving your tdi for those two days you drive hers, and claim a full tank on that as well), then I don't see how you feel that you have no intention of taking advantage of your privilege.

...that's hard to argue for. At the end of the day, it was theft.

Was it material? No, not at all. But now your boss is questioning your ethics, which is a much bigger problem.

It also seems like this has been a recurring thing. Let's be honest, you had the opportunity for free gas for you and your gf and you took it, or else you would've only expensed part of the gas bill.

I'd simply be much more cautious in the future. I wouldn't offer to reimburse the gas bills, because that's admitting guilt. Stand your ground, maybe the expense will get denied, and be happy you still have a job.

Well thats the thing, i cant expense part of a bill...
The employer reimburse85% expecting 15% to be for personal usage.

I told him i had no intention of doing this purposely to get free gas for the gf or wtv and that i understand why he thinks like that.
I seriously feel bad, i shouldve known better and though further...but cant go back
Told him to take away the 3 gas receipts he hadnt aprove yet from my expens report and that we would never need to have this conversation in the future...

It would also be frowned upon if they get audited for tax.

Seeing reg gas expenses claimed for a diesel car would certainly raise questions from the taxman.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tell your gf to fuel her car herself. End of story and repay what your boss want.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

Tell your gf to fuel her car herself. End of story and repay what your boss want.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

That's it man

You dont want to have this conversation again with your boss

And when it's gonna be the time to move on to something nicer he might not think about you

Back