Why is it we don't get E85 at the pumps?

mb5

Legacy Member
Just wondering why we don't have E85 at the pumps here in Quebec.

Reminiscing about trying 40/60 of pump gas and E85 for the first time last summer in the states...that stuff is like Rocket Fuel !

Hoping we get it soon at the pumps...but i doubt it

Ton auto va perdre 25% de millage par tank avec du E85. C'est pour ça que ça n'arrivera pas au Québec de si tôt.

How is it sh!t if it's better for the environment, costs less, and gives you mad gobs of power for turbo'd cars(with just a change in tune) ?

I never dyno'd my car yet but this is an example of the increase on my car that others dynod at with full bolt-ons and flash vs. full bolt-ons and flash with e85:
384hp 403tq -> 448hp 470tq

This is impressive considering E85 is cheaper and better for the environment.

Oh, and for worse gas mileage...this is true and known fact. I didn't run full E85 and won't ever... just a mix of 60%/40% or 65%/35% 93 pump and E85.

So there is no real in savings when comparing to 93 but considering i usually use 94 octane which is more than the 93 octane this about evens out the cost difference or if not make it cheaper for a full tank on e85 mix.

Last edited:
correct me if I'm wrong.
Ethanol eats through everything non-metallic in your fuel system.

correct me if I'm wrong.
Ethanol eats through everything non-metallic in your fuel system.

Yes it does ... it's not compatible with every car. It's meant for cars that can run flex-fuel.
For those of us that don't have a flex-fuel designated car but want the extra power from running e85...you need to check the car to make sure the fuel system and components can handle it. Most modern cars should as long as its mixed no more than 40% E85.

And before anyone runs out and starts dumping E85 into their tanks expecting a big increase... you need a tune that will take advantage of it.

Just wondering why we don't have E85 at the pumps here in Quebec.

Reminiscing about trying 40/60 of pump gas and E85 for the first time last summer in the states...that stuff is like Rocket Fuel !

Hoping we get it soon at the pumps...but i doubt it

Paske

1- Le Canada est pas un producteur important de mais comme les USA(Maïs qui sert presque entièrement a la production d'ethanol). Donc y faudrait importer soit du mais ou de l'éthanol pour faire du E85. Bye-bye l'économie d'argent.

2- Ça sert absolument a rien. Les char sont pas conçu pour rouler du 95 d'octane stock.

3- T'auras jamais de E85 au Canada. On a du 94 chez PetroCan.

doesnt ethanol burn worse than gas? Isnt that why surpreme has has no ethanol in it?

Ethanol has a higher octane rating(99-100) than gasoline, so in a stock average engine it will burns slower(worse) than 87-octane gas.

How is it sh!t if it's better for the environment, costs less, and gives you mad gobs of power for turbo'd cars(with just a change in tune) ?

I never dyno'd my car yet but this is an example of the increase on my car that others dynod at with full bolt-ons and flash vs. full bolt-ons and flash with e85:
384hp 403tq -> 448hp 470tq

This is impressive considering E85 is cheaper and better for the environment.

Oh, and for worse gas mileage...this is true and known fact. I didn't run full E85 and won't ever... just a mix of 60%/40% or 65%/35% 93 pump and E85.

So there is no real in savings when comparing to 93 but considering i usually use 94 octane which is more than the 93 octane this about evens out the cost difference or if not make it cheaper for a full tank on e85 mix.

More octane(E85)+advanced timing and/or higher compression ratio=more power. Its not the E85 that gives more power. Its the E85 tune. This is simple engine understanding.

Corn lobbies want you to believe its better for the environement. regular gas vs ethanol = same difference

So you ran a mix of 93 and 95 and you saw a difference? lol

There is quite a big difference.

On dyno numbers i posted what others were seeing as a difference.
I'd say its quite significant.

There is quite a big difference.

On dyno numbers i posted what others were seeing as a difference.
I'd say its quite significant.

I guess this is targeted to whats underlined?

whats underlined is in relation with the following statement.

... this stuff is like rocket fuel...

So you mean you saw a difference running a mix of 93 and 95 vs running whatever you run usually. That's why I called BS.

There's a significant difference between an engine tuned for 87-octane fuel and running 87-oct and an engine tuned for E85(95-6 octane) and running E85 fuel.

But there is absolutely no difference in an engine tuned for 87 and running E85(or 94oct).

Without the appropriate tuning, an engine doesn't put out more power because it runs a higher octane'd fuel.

Bon pour l'environnement....Ah oui? I suggest you do some reading.

Et oui, retirer des terres agricoles qui peuvent servir à nourrir des gens pour faire de l'essence..Wise thinking, not a single fuck given attitude/thinking too..

Complètement stupide d'utiliser des biens de consommation (terres agricoles) pour du fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

En 2014, le prix de la viande va augmenter substantiellement en épicerie, et une des raisons énoncées est que le maïs qui sert à nourrir le bétail augmente de prix à cause de la rareté causée par l'immense besoin en maïs pour faire du fuel.

Messemble que certaine station Sonic on du E85 ... pis certain detaillant independant aussi

Donc on nous vend l'idée que rouler du e85 / éthanol c'est bon pour sauver du cash à la pompe mais l'autre côté quand tu vas chercher ton t-bone y coûte 2$ de plus parce que le maïs a monté en prix !

Genius !

There are arguments for both sides....anyone can dredge up a bunch of e-facts and say this or that. It's who/what you want to believe.

If my main concern was the environment or saving cash....i'd be driving a different car and not pursuing more horsepower.

Back