Highway safety code

y2j514

I got Radar-ed on De La Verendrye a while ago, and I plead not guilty. Just got the court date and want to prepare my defense. It is a 50 km zone and the cop said I was going 73km/hr. I knew he was there as I saw him earlier in the day and set my cruise to 45km/hr. He radar-ed across 6 lanes of traffic (first 3 going the opposite direction of mine, and the next 2 the same direction (I was in the right most lane)).

On the SAAQ website I find the following:

Approval of photo radar devices and red light camera systems

Regulation respecting the conditions and procedures for the use of photo radar devices and red light camera systems

Obviously using the Highway Safety code would be the best way to construct my defense but everything I find is PHOTO radar. I'm assuming that does not apply to regular laser or radar. So any body know anything about radar regulations?

Thanks

Jeff

^^ He has pictures of actual radar-related texts which could be useful for OP (who's not asking for legal advice, but for documentation.)

^^ He has pictures of actual radar-related texts which could be useful for OP (who's not asking for legal advice, but for documentation.)

Though, he can do a quick search on CSR section, srt posted those documentation numerous times. For legal advice, Chaos is the reference.

Last edited:
45km/h sur de la Verendrye, I call bullshit. Comeon dude, you're from Verdun and you know that the crusing speed on that boulevard is 60km/h minimum. On top of that, you claim you were on the cruise control? On a boulevard... Really?

I'm on cruise at 50-53 every day on the service road coming and going because cops like to radar both sides almost daily in St Leonard.

Si vous êtes incapable de maintenir votre vitesse en ville sans le cruise control, c'est que vous devriez arrêter de conduire IMO.

Si vous êtes incapable de maintenir votre vitesse en ville sans le cruise control, c'est que vous devriez arrêter de conduire IMO.

Je dirait que ca varie beaucoup en fonction du type de vehicule que tu conduits...
Dans certain j'ai l'impression que je roule tout le temps trop vite et d'autre je depasse la limite et j'ai l'impression d'etre assis dans mon salon.
Alors disont que le cote FEELING est pas toujours bien calibré.
Mais ca reste que c'est pas la fin d'un monde rouler a la bonne vitesse (si tu le desire!!!)

For everybody who offered help, thank you.
To those with useless input - why bother wasting you time?

My car can set it's cruise as low as 40km/hr. There's a reason for it - for it to be used. Yes on De La Verendrye most people go 60-70km/hr, but I live in the area and saw the cop radar-ing when I was going in the opposite direction, so naturally coming home 15 minutes later I knew he was there. Thus I set my cruise to make sure I wouldn't go to fast. If you find that unbelievable or stupid well you're entitled to that, but seeing that I have common sense I only see it as logical. I, as well as many other drivers, often set their cruise control on "boulevards" such as De La Verendrye or service roads where the "comfortable" speed exceeds that of the legal limit.

When you're driving a car - fast or slow, if you do long stretches of road you naturally start to speed up. I'm sure everybody has had it happen to them on the highway. Driving for 2 hours along the same road, you look at your speedo and oops I'm going 120kmhr or 140 or whatever the value may be. The same thing can happen on a long boulevard where the margin of error is tighter. So yes it makes TONS of sense for anybody with any sort of common sense or intelligence to set their cruise control to control their speed in an area where they know there is police presence and there is a risk or speeding. If you disagree maybe you just aren't as intelligent... or maybe you're the best driver in the world, with total control of your car who never makes a mistake - if that's the case maybe you should go make a career out of your driving ability, koodos to you.

Going back on topic. I searched for SRT_Mod's pdf's and found a few, but it is essentially what I posted. It is for PHOTO radar. In this case it does not apply as it was just a regular laser gun that a law enforcer was holding.
I am looking for something similar essentially just a list of rules and regulations that a law enforcer must follow in order for their reading to be valid. I don't know exactly what, but maybe regulations regarding calibration, model type, certification, training - and more specifically in my case appropriate use with respect to the environment (IE. not radar-ing across 6 lanes of traffic).

He should PM ChaosExpanding instead. He's a real lawyer while srt_mod is a Frenk wannabe.

Like you said Chaos is probably way better because of is formation....but don't wait on the forum for is input, that's for sure.

(Not a complaint, some people have live's outside the internet)

So your choice, free discussion or $$ legal advice

The first thing you need to find : was it Radar or Laser ?

Radar has a large cone of acquisition , Laser is much less : @ 1000` the width is 36 inches ,
so he could get you with pin point accuracy with his death ray.

I dont know here , but in Usa the ticket shows the make\distance of the acquisition ,
such as Model : Lti , distance 1200`, speed 78mph.

Radar ticket dont show the distance.

Waiting for your input to help you more. I am not a lawyer but technician.

I got Radar-ed on De La Verendrye a while ago, and I plead not guilty. Just got the court date and want to prepare my defense. It is a 50 km zone and the cop said I was going 73km/hr. I knew he was there as I saw him earlier in the day and set my cruise to 45km/hr. He radar-ed across 6 lanes of traffic (first 3 going the opposite direction of mine, and the next 2 the same direction (I was in the right most lane)).

On the SAAQ website I find the following:

Approval of photo radar devices and red light camera systems

Regulation respecting the conditions and procedures for the use of photo radar devices and red light camera systems

Obviously using the Highway Safety code would be the best way to construct my defense but everything I find is PHOTO radar. I'm assuming that does not apply to regular laser or radar. So any body know anything about radar regulations?

Thanks

Jeff

It is laser - but it does not say the distance or the make. Even with 36 inches - that's 3 feet, across 6 lanes of traffic... kinda tough to hit just one car.

Back