Audi S5 2011-2012 opinions

TheDamned

Hello,

To make a long story short, I'd like to "maybe" change my car this spring and i'm looking and various options.
I'd like a 4x4 car with a little luxury and some sports feel. It would be an "all around year" car and most of the driving would be fun week-end driving since I usually take the bus for work.

I really like the 2011-2012 Audi S5 Coupe with the V8, whats the "real" gas mileage on those ?

It needs to keep a good resale value because my plan is to keep that "fun" car for 1-2 years and then sell it to buy an house and drive a civic after.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also like the new Benz CLA-250 in the 4matic version but the horsepower isn't nearly the same but i'd save a bit on gas... like I said my mind isn't set yet

I'm NOT looking to mod the car.

2014-mercedes-benz-cla200-edition-1-photo-497301-s-1280x782.jpg

I'm looking for opinions, alternatives or a car in that range, i'm just brainstorming.
Thank you

Depends what kind of car you are used to but personnaly I find the S5 lacks of power...

The exterior/interior design is awesome but the car feels heavy with that 350bhp matched with a quattro...

Depends what kind of car you are used to but personnaly I find the S5 lacks of power...

The exterior/interior design is awesome but the car feels heavy with that 350bhp matched with a quattro...

I'm used to "raw" power, owned Mustang 5.0L, right now my TL is a big fat pig but the reliability and the luxury for the price is hard to beat.

But i'm not looking for super-duper power, i want a reliable, fun car to ride for a year or two. I don't mind if the car is heavy and all.

i have no intentions of modding the car, i'll add it to my original post.

my bad then. both are nice cars! it really depends on what your looking for

S5: 2 doors, luxury, power and AWD, fun to drive
CLA: 4 doors, luxury and AWD, sleek design, but a lack of power, not as fun as the S5

if your looking to save cash on gas, I'd for the CLA. I personnally love the design of the CLA over the S5. Audi's design for the S5 is getting old in my opinion

The S5 V8 is a very nice car if you like the wow factor of the V8 exhaust note. However, it is a gas guzzler, especially compared to the SC V6: we're talking about 14/22 MPG for the V8 compared to 19/28 MPG for the SC V6 with a DSG transmission.

Also, power is very, very different between the two. The V8 is know to put roughly 270hp to the wheels for an engine that claims 340hp. The SC V6 is known to be underrated from the factory and regularly puts around 305 HP to the wheels for a claimed 333HP at the crank.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/328480-Dyno-run-on-4-2L-V8-vs-3-0L-V6-SC

This past weekend I was present at a locally organized dyno day and witnessed first hand the dyno runs of the 4.2L V8 vs. 3.0L V6 SC engines.

A few disclaimers first:

1) Not my cars.
2) It's a Dynojet, which usually measure higher than other dynos.
3) The 3.0L V6 SC engine is in a 2010 B8 S4. It also has lightweight OZ 18" wheels.
4) The 4.2L V8 is in a 2009 B8 S5. It also has 20" wheels. But I can't recall the brand.

The V6 pulled 307whp vs. 270whp for the V8.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Those are 3rd gear pulls for both cars. 4th gear are down about 15hp for both cars.

The S5 V8 is a very nice car if you like the wow factor of the V8 exhaust note. However, it is a gas guzzler, especially compared to the SC V6: we're talking about 14/22 MPG for the V8 compared to 19/28 MPG for the SC V6 with a DSG transmission.

Also, power is very, very different between the two. The V8 is know to put roughly 270hp to the wheels for an engine that claims 340hp. The SC V6 is known to be underrated from the factory and regularly puts around 305 HP to the wheels for a claimed 333HP at the crank.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/328480-Dyno-run-on-4-2L-V8-vs-3-0L-V6-SC

wow i didn't know there was such a power difference between the two in terms of whp. I always thought there was a small difference, and that the v8 was slightly faster. I guess I was wrong then lol

Edit: just saw the link in your post. the V8 loses close to 28% of its power in the drive train:yikes:, then SC is really underrated in terms of hp audi claims it produces

Not to mention the direct injection used in the S5 :p

I was looking at RS4s recently and carbon buildup is one detail that was really bugging me...

Even if some are lucky, it does become a problem on most of them after a while...

Maybe not a problem but let's say "an expensive maintnance".

wow i didn't know there was such a power difference between the two in terms of whp. I always thought there was a small difference, and that the v8 was slightly faster. I guess I was wrong then lol

The difference is indeed huge, especially considering the claimed numbers from Audi on the SC V6. Either the powertrain loss is significantly lower with the V6 than with the V8 (which I highly doubt it's the case), either Audi made the choice to announce smaller numbers on the SC V6 models not to affect the RS4 / RS5 sales (considering the V8 in these two claims 450 HP, but ends up being closer to 355 HP to the wheels).

The difference is indeed huge, especially considering the claimed numbers from Audi on the SC V6. Either the powertrain loss is significantly lower with the V6 than with the V8 (which I highly doubt it's the case), either Audi made the choice to announce smaller numbers on the SC V6 models not to affect the RS4 / RS5 sales (considering the V8 in these two claims 450 HP, but ends up being closer to 355 HP to the wheels).

I'm sure that's the reason audi is conservative with the outputs of V6 sc. I did a bit of searching and found this vid of chris harris comparing both

@ OP,
It needs to keep a good resale value because my plan is to keep that "fun" car for 1-2 years and then sell it to buy an house and drive a civic after.

There is your problem right there...2-years from now that S5 will take another major hit because a 2011-2012 will already be 4-5 years old and no longer in warranty. The market will be flooded with lease returns and it will just depreciate further. If your intention is to buy a home don't do it...

Do you really need AWD since you will most likely just drive on weekends?

@ OP,

There is your problem right there...2-years from now that S5 will take another major hit because a 2011-2012 will already be 4-5 years old and no longer in warranty. The market will be flooded with lease returns and it will just depreciate further. If your intention is to buy a home don't do it...

Do you really need AWD since you will most likely just drive on weekends?

Good stuff to know, that's why I posted here, to know stuff that I can't think of like that right of the bat.

AWD isn't a must, more like a nice to have since i'm still in shitty quebec for now and I need to deal with snow, i play lots of hockey tourney in remote areas so I need a car that works well in the snow as well.

What do you propose in the 20-39k range ?
I really like the Benz C250-300 aswell but i'm scared it's gonna cost a crapload to maintain.

Good stuff to know, that's why I posted here, to know stuff that I can't think of like that right of the bat.

AWD isn't a must, more like a nice to have since i'm still in shitty quebec for now and I need to deal with snow, i play lots of hockey tourney in remote areas so I need a car that works well in the snow as well.

What do you propose in the 20-39k range ?
I really like the Benz C250-300 aswell but i'm scared it's gonna cost a crapload to maintain.

In that price range (with a good resale value)...I would ping this guy, check out the car in person and try to get it for $30K http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/longueuil-rive-sud/golf-r-2012/569451716

No Golfs... No VW either, lol sorry! I'm really looking into a C300, TL, etc sizing.

No need to apologize...I pointed out the Golf R because it matches your needs and if you can get it at $30K it is well worth it because after 1-2 years you will still get very good money (very high twenties).

I would not go with a TL, it is just a dressed up Accord. Sounds to me like you are sold on the Merc, just keep in mind that the new C-Class is coming and the current model will soon be outdated.

If you are planning to keep the car 1-2 years, why not just lease it???

My 2010 S4 is CPO'ed and under warranty for six years / 160000 km. You won't see a huge price drop in a couple of years, the best way to compare is to look at 2007-2008 S4's currently on the market.

No need to apologize...I pointed out the Golf R because it matches your needs and if you can get it at $30K it is well worth it because after 1-2 years you will still get very good money (very high twenties).

I would not go with a TL, it is just a dressed up Accord. Sounds to me like you are sold on the Merc, just keep in mind that the new C-Class is coming and the current model will soon be outdated.

If you are planning to keep the car 1-2 years, why not just lease it???

Ya I like Benz and Audi.

I already have a TL ! I'm selling it soon, i was talking about the sizing of the TL that I like, it's spacious.
I will lease ya... but can we lease used at good rates?
I always paid my car cash I have no ideas lol.

My 2010 S4 is CPO'ed and under warranty for six years / 160000 km. You won't see a huge price drop in a couple of years, the best way to compare is to look at 2007-2008 S4's currently on the market.

S4 2010 are another option... sick warranty you got there by the way.

I was that close to getting a 2012 TL when I got the S4. I wanted to love the car badly but even with the A-Spec, the S4 is by far a superior car. I still have a thing for the new TL though.

I was that close to getting a 2012 TL when I got the S4. I wanted to love the car badly but even with the A-Spec, the S4 is by far a superior car. I still have a thing for the new TL though.

Ya, I really like my TL right now but you know, we're car guys, always looking to change and look around.

edit:

Holy cow the S4 2010 are expensive, they're the same price as the S5 2010-2011 ! Around 35-39k!
Is this because people fears the S5 V8s ?

Last edited:
Back