intercoolers in winter

Xc0m

Legacy Member
so, maybe a dumb question, but I've been looking at an APR intercooler while getting their downpipe for added power. With the winters we get, will the intercooler have any negative effect on the engine?

I didn't phrase it properly. My car already has an intercooler. The APR one is quite literally twice the frontal surface area and lowers temps in humid places by over 20 degrees. So the added cool air from winter + IC won't matter?

don't worry.. Intercooler is to keep air cooled. Compressed air from the turbo heats up, reason why you need an intercooler. The equation is not: -20 celsius outside -20degree less from intercooler, makes -40 celsius.. It cools at best 20 degree below the temperature of the compressed air,which is over 0 celsius.

I didn't phrase it properly. My car already has an intercooler. The APR one is quite literally twice the frontal surface area and lowers temps in humid places by over 20 degrees. So the added cool air from winter + IC won't matter?

I was about to say that it doesn't make a difference, however, now knowing that in reduces temperatures in humid places by 20 degrees I'd be carefull. We can deduct from your info that the IC would be for a TT-RS. Colder air equal higher density air charge which equal in turn into more power. More power is achieved through higher peak pressure in the combustion chamber. Key word here is "combustion".

Conclusion : be careful of combustion in general.

Back