Starting problem. Mr I need your help..

mike1989

Allright I have a 2002 Wrx that wont even crank.I jumped started it to get it to my place (spent the winter in my mother in laws driveway) since then nothing..

I've spent 2 days checking everything : relay,fuses are ok. Battery is good. I changed all the wiring from the starter to battery. Changed the terminals. Tried with another starter.
It cranked and started twice but very slowly.(still managed to get it started) otherwise no clics,clunks,or noise from the starter..

The clutch switch is bypassed.

I have full power on battery ~12.5v and 13.8-14v when hooking up to my forester with cables ( alternator power..). From gauge pod.

Getting full signal from ecu (check engine lights up when key is ON)

What else should I check?

This car is becoming a real pain in The ass..

Last edited:
your battery is defective
ground wires everywhere? this is very common on 10+ year old cars.
your key is deprogrammed
a fuse is blown
your ecu is screwed up
your clutch switch modification is not working
some wires/connectors are corroded
a relay failed
your engine is fubar (you mentioned later it started so guess not?)

what makes a subaru a subaru

you mentioned it not cranking at all. but then it cranked slowly after being charged by your other car.

your battery is just dead. not giving enough amps

check water levels in your battery

Key does not have a chip.
Clutch switch modification Is ok. (Can hear the relay do its job when turning the key)
Fuse are all ok
Engine runs fine when doing a push start.
Wire and connector are all new.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll check both starter I have by jumping the S and the 12v . I might have 2 bad starter.. Would suck but still possible. It's the only thing I see. Unless my ecu fried when I jumped started it. But still weird cause I've been able to drive ~100km after (brought the car home) I dont think this could be done with a died ecu..

Buy a subaru they said,It'll be fun they said.

Yes its 10 years old..but a 10 years old subaru is even worse (rust on cables,rust on Quarter,rust on brake lines,fuel line,water lines,floor and so on

... Ok enough

Did you try push starting it recently and see how it runs I would do that and go from there. If the car starts by push starting it then you can at least factor out any mechanical issues and focus on your start up issue (starter, wiring, alarm, igntion barrel, etc),

Yes I did. Works fine. Ignition sends signal. But need to test if theres anything that reaches the starter.I'll test and post result tomorrow!

Last edited:
Try another battery to make sure still

Envoyé de mon Nexus S en utilisant Tapatalk

Battery voltage is good.. Same thing on jumpstart cables... Getting full power.. Tried my other car battery already.. Didn't had time to jump both starters yet (bench test).. Will try tomorrow

have your battery checked, having full charge doesnt mean it can deliver all the amps needed by the starter

if its good check for starter cable corrosion. slow cranking always mean not enough power to starter motor.

IF the starter engages, its all between the starter motor and battery terminal.

and finally, for a quick check of power loss between starter motor and battery hook 1 side of a multimeter in volts position on starter motor (the big bolt on the solenoid which the motor is connected to, not the battery cable) and the other on the positive battery post.
have someone crank (or bypass solenoid if you are alone) and check the multimeter reading, the voltage displayed is the total power loss in the wiring.

hope that helps

Allright. Fixed!! It was the main ground. After looking at the wiring diagram I noticed the main ground is supposed to be connected on a bracket on the starter but was relocated to my tmic bracket..i put it back on the bracket and car running like a champ!

Back