Feature Article: Plasti dip vs wrap **update w/ pic

I wrote a short article on the two methods. It's being translated into french shortly. Feel free to shoot me your comments before it goes live:

Plasti Dip vs Wrap

We get this question posed frequently on the MontrealRacing.com discussion forum: Which method is better to change the color of your vehicle: plastidip or vinyl wrap?
As with any product choice, an assessment of your needs should be done first. Ask yourself questions such as: What is your goal? What is your budget? What is the long term plan for your vehicle?
Usually, people inquiring about these products either have promotional vehicles that they use for a business or simply want to change the color of their vehicle for esthetic purposes. Wrapping or dipping your vehicle also serves to protect the paint from wear and tear which is an added benefit.

Wrap
I can speak from personal experience with regards to a vinyl wrap on two fronts: I worked as an installer at Sticky Grafix ten years ago and I’ve had a wrap on my personal vehicle. The goal with my own wrap to have a promotional vehicle that would attract attention for MontrealRacing.com at car shows and I couldn’t have been happier with the results both in terms of the attention I got and the quality of the wrap. The job was done by Overlay Graphics on the south shore.
A wrap is applied in sections and can take several days to complete. It’s not something you can do yourself without having any prior experience. Ensuring a smooth application with no creases can be extremely difficult, especially for non-flat surfaces like bumpers and fenders. It often takes more than one person to apply – one to hold the vinyl and the other to apply it to the vehicle. If you want a wrap, my suggestion is to have it done professionally.
The wrap can be left on for years without any deterioration of the product. I drove my vehicle all winter and had no issues whatsoever. I’ve spoken with people who had had their wraps for three or more winters and have had no issues. You may experience some fading in the color as a result of sun exposure but ask your installer about a guarantee. Many vinyl manufacturers will guarantee their product for exterior use for several years.
A wrap can be removed with no harm to the pain underneath. There vinyl may leave some residual glue residue but there are special products that can remove it without harming the paint (I usually just use my fingers). The one danger is that paint can be peeled off along with the wrap if the vehicle was repainted shortly before installation. For OEM paint, or a high quality paint job, it’s never a problem.
A vinyl wrap is the more expensive of the two options. Just the material cost to wrap a standard sized-vehicle can be about $500-$700. The rest of the cost will be labor. Expect to pay anywhere from $1000-$2000 in labor alone for a total of anywhere between $1500-$3000 all depending on the size of the vehicle, the type of vinyl and the experience of the installers.

Dip
Plasti Dip is a relatively new product in the automotive scene but has already evolved quite a bit. It’s a rubberized protective coating which is applied via spray gun (or even spray can for small applications), much the same way a body shop would paint your vehicle. All areas of the vehicle not to be painted must be masked off including windows, lights, wheels and moldings.
Contrary to a wrap, a dip is something with little-to-no experience is capable of executing, however the result will vary according to this experience. I still don’t recommend doing it yourself if you want anything resembling a nice finish.
Most dip finishes are matte given the nature of the material. As I mentioned earlier, the product continues to evolve and recently we were introduced to some very nice looking pearl and gloss finishes.
Like a wrap, a dip will protect your paint and can be safely removed without damaging it. How long will it last? There is no definitive answer because of the variety of factors involved such as the quality of the application, the number of coats, the climate, the amount of usage etc. It’s safe to say that it probably won’t last as long as a wrap though. The upside is that a dip can be “repaired” because it adheres to itself very nicely. If you scratch a wrap, the entire body panel will need to be redone.
The main advantage that a dip has compared to the wrap is the cost. Many garages and individuals can offer a full Plasti Dip job for as little as $250. That may sound great but you will really get what you pay for with a dip and it can look awful if not done properly. I highly recommend having an experienced installer do it for you. Prices may go as high as $750 but you will be much happier with the result.

Which one?
So when should you get a dip and when should you get a wrap? If you plan to keep the vehicle a long time and want a smooth, glossy and very durable finish that almost cannot be distinguished from paint then you should get a wrap. I’d get a dip if I’m on a budget or don’t intend to keep the same color for very long. We all want to keep our cars looking fresh and a dip is inexpensive enough that it can be changed from year to year. You definitely don’t change your wrap from year to year unless you are doing it yourself.
In both instances, a proper installation is key. Do your research and find an experienced installer. Our forum is an excellent resource and you can get testimonials from dozens of people who have already gone through the experience.

Quelqu'un sait ou je peux acheter un rouleau de vinyle autocollant couleur camo vert?

Comme sa:
camo_pattern_by_nw_racing_kennels-d4vubvo.png

On a pas de camo en stock mais jpeux te commander nimporte quoi tu veux pour a peu pres 10$/verge carrée. Ton pattern de camo par exemple jle trouve pas super, on pourrait trouver quelque chose de mieux ensemble. Tu as aussi different choix de finis exemple: gloss, matte, metallique etc...

Si je peux me permettre d'en rajouter, j'ai fait dip mon char pour voir c'etais quoi et j'avais un petit budget, mais JAMAIS je vais refaire dip une voiture.
Alors ceux qui se pose la question, je te dis attends et ramasse plus de $$ pour un paintjob ou vinyl

Si je peux me permettre d'en rajouter, j'ai fait dip mon char pour voir c'etais quoi et j'avais un petit budget, mais JAMAIS je vais refaire dip une voiture.
Alors ceux qui se pose la question, je te dis attends et ramasse plus de $$ pour un paintjob ou vinyl

OH NO!!! Wtf happened?

Rien de special, mais je crois que j'ai des standard plus élevé que le dip dans la vie, si moindrement vous etes des personnes qui s'attardent aux details, le dip c'est pas pour vous!!

Et je réalise que c'est quand même beaucoup d'entretien un dip.
Tu dois laver la voiture avec un savon sans pH, la voiture ne sèche pas d'elle meme (l'eau perle x1000 alors quand il pleut il est mouillé 8hr et terriblement sale après), il faut mettre un produit pour garder un fini satiné, sinon on remarque rapidement des "spot" plus mat que d'autre.

Bref c'est une experience que je n'ai pas envie de revivre avec un autre voiture, et sincèrement je me questionne pourquoi tous ces gens avec des voitures "presque neuves" font dip leur voiture, c'est plus cheap qu'une peinture, sa semble relativement sensible a faire des marques (grafignes, cernes, etc) et ce ne sera jamais aussi beau qu'une voiture fraichement cirée!

L'opinion de quelqu'un qui l'a essayé, vous en faites ce que vous voulez!

Thanks for being honest and telling us what you truly think instead of trying to justify the purchase. I was never a fan of plastidip, they might look comparable to a wrap from far but my friend got his car dipped 2x in different colors and it will never be like a wrap. Thats why I haven't bothered yet

Honnêtement je n'en reviens toujours pas que certaine personne pensent vraiment a peinturer une voiture au complet avec un produit, qui a la base était conçu pour ca :

8683.jpg

Le plus loin que j'irai, c'est des mags pour faire changement pour 1 mois ou 2.. une auto? jamais.

The thing is I don't want to spend ~2000$ for a paint or a vinyl, I just want to get rid of some rust and swirls, dip is cheaper than a new paint and will make my ride look better than a rusty car for the next 2years or so..
And I'm not trying to impress you with my '02 a4 ;)

2k for a paint job is a shitty paint job . I got my mini painted last summer , only the bottom of the car , roof not included and it cost me $4500

Rien de special, mais je crois que j'ai des standard plus élevé que le dip dans la vie, si moindrement vous etes des personnes qui s'attardent aux details, le dip c'est pas pour vous!!

Tu dois laver la voiture avec un savon sans pH, la voiture ne sèche pas d'elle meme (l'eau perle x1000 alors quand il pleut il est mouillé 8hr et terriblement sale après), il faut mettre un produit pour garder un fini satiné, sinon on remarque rapidement des "spot" plus mat que d'autre.

Bref c'est une experience que je n'ai pas envie de revivre avec un autre voiture, et sincèrement je me questionne pourquoi tous ces gens avec des voitures "presque neuves" font dip leur voiture, c'est plus cheap qu'une peinture, sa semble relativement sensible a faire des marques (grafignes, cernes, etc) et ce ne sera jamais aussi beau qu'une voiture fraichement cirée!

Next time wax the dip with a synthetic wax or use dip coat.

il n'y a pas une sorte de dip ou une facon que ça l'air ''neuf'' plus longtemps?

Et à date , il reste pas pire ton dip? Tu penses le sortir cet hiver?

Back