Changer de province. Would you do it?

I'd consider Europe and maybe Argentina, nothing else. I'll try to make my master in Holland or in France in a year or two.

But on long term, I think I'm really attached to Montreal, despite the shitty winter and the potholes.

Last edited:
Wait, canadians can apply for a green card just like that?
No, not really. He'll need to find a company to sponsor his H-1B visa for at least 6 years (two 3-year terms) while his GC application is being considered. The problem is that most companies that hire canadians prefer going for the TN-1 visa, which doesn't offer a path to the green card.

His other option would be to marry an American.

People who were not born in Canada also have the option to apply for the DV visa lottery. Chances are slim, but still it's an extra option.

That being said, I'd move to Cali too if the company would be willing to transfer me to the HQ.

Last edited:
No, not really. He'll need to find a company to sponsor his H-1B visa for at least 6 years (two 3-year terms) while his GC application is being considered. The problem is that most companies that hire canadians prefer going for the TN-1 visa, which doesn't offer a path to the green card.

People who were not born in Canada also have the option to apply for the DV visa lottery. Chances are slim, but still it's an extra option.

That being said, I'd move to Cali too if the company would be willing to transfer me to the HQ.

Exactly. Im not born in Canada so i will try my luck with the DV visa lottery.
Anyways the goal is just to get in the USA. There are mexicans who live in USA with no papers for years and years.
All you need is a bit of money and a good immigration lawyer!:thefinger

Tout sa pour dire... avant de le faire pour l'argent faut le faire pour l'experience et pour le gout de vivre ailleur. Beaucoup de quebecois que j'ai rencontr dans l'ouest qui son ici depuis 10 ans si c'est pas plus. Certain son des gars trs normal avec une famille que tout va bien

D'autre son des cabochon de gars de la construction qui son venu ici pour faire 2 fois le salaire qu'il font au quebec mais sa gre tellement mal leur argent qui on de la misere a aller au bar et depenser 20$ dans leur soire.

Faut le faire pour le gout de vivre l'experience et sortir de cette province qui va droit dans un mur et ou on paie plus de 50% de notre salaire en taxe et impot.

Le plaisir d'acheter quelque chose de 500-1000$+++ et d'avoir juste 5% de taxe sur la facture caliss que c'est lfun....

Un flat rate de 10% de ton salaire sur l'impot caliss que c'est lfun aussi...

La seul difference avec le quebec c'est que c'est pas une socioete maternelle alors gre la toi meme ton argent et garde toi en de cot pur pay la garderie et autre frais.

Proud to be Edmonton CREW

Anyways the goal is just to get in the USA. There are mexicans who live in USA with no papers for years and years.

Well, if it is the type of life you want....always be on a lookout for US Marshalls because you are an illegal citizen.

Ok yeah, that is exactly what I knew as well (from you from before :D)

I'd move to a US office also but I doubt it will happen any time soon. Plus what does the wife do while on the work visa? I doubt she would automatically have legal right to work.....complicated.

Ok, I see now. Yeah, the DV visa lottery is the path that I might go for as well. You never know. If it works, it's much better than a work visa.

Well, if it is the type of life you want....always be on a lookout for US Marshalls because you are an illegal citizen.

When you deal with lawyers and the court and everything if they don't kick you out when you're there its because you're not considered as an illegal citizen (yet lol)..

On the other hand, I'm going there for a better life not to always have to look over my shoulder. Would not do it if it is illegal. There are many legals ways to become an American citizen.

Je comprend pas le monde qui aimerais aller en Californie???? C'est l'état le plus surtaxé des US, bref un Québec des États-Unis!

Je ne déménagerais pas ailleur au Canada mais au États-Unis dans des états tel que Floride, Georgie, texas OUI OUI OUI DEMAIN MATIN!

Plus what does the wife do while on the work visa? I doubt she would automatically have legal right to work.....complicated.

if you go there on a H-1B or TN-1, your wife has the right to live in the US with you and be set as a dependent on your tax return, but NOT the right to work.

If you go there on a L-1 visa (intra-company transfer), your wife does get the right to work.

Obviously, if you win the DV lottery you both get a green card and full rights to work.

If I ever move there, i'd go on a L-1 to the company HQ in the SF Bay area. I know Cali has high taxes, but the weather is nice and it's not as redneck as FL, GA, TX.

Je comprend pas le monde qui aimerais aller en Californie???? C'est l'état le plus surtaxé des US, bref un Québec des États-Unis!

Je ne déménagerais pas ailleur au Canada mais au États-Unis dans des états tel que Floride, Georgie, texas OUI OUI OUI DEMAIN MATIN!

C'est plus pour la qualite de vie... suis fucking tanne des 6 mois d'hiver de merde du Quebec.. La bas tu souffre de chaleur 3 mois et le reste du temps y fait beau..Alors meme si tu fait le meme salaire avec les meme taxes ( ce qui n'est pas vrai..) la qualite de vie est meilleure. Fait tout le temps beau, tu vas a la plage chaque weekend.. Las vegas c est genre a 5h de route (tout dependant de ou en Californie). Beaucoup de choses a faire et a voir.
C'est un different style de vie biensur.

C'est plus pour la qualite de vie... suis fucking tanne des 6 mois d'hiver de merde du Quebec.. La bas tu souffre de chaleur 3 mois et le reste du temps y fait beau..Alors meme si tu fait le meme salaire avec les meme taxes ( ce qui n'est pas vrai..) la qualite de vie est meilleure. Fait tout le temps beau, tu vas a la plage chaque weekend.. Las vegas c est genre a 5h de route (tout dependant de ou en Californie). Beaucoup de choses a faire et a voir.
C'est un different style de vie biensur.

Exactement, c'est pas le salaire qui va me faire faire le move... température, culture, ambiance, etc.. Et j'aime pas la mentalité américaine, la Californie est différente et le seule état qui m'attire.

Back