mpcv2000's White 1993 FOX LX Journal !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to work inside my garage when weather hit 30 + outside. :p

ry%3D480

Va chier.

I love the fact the original radio is still in there lol.

It's staying there too.

I don't known if you guys noticed but I have no antenna , shaved , gone not even a hole.

I didn't noticed until the daughter of my friend who has also a LX but a 4 Cyl. 1992 swapped with a 94-95 SN95 5.0L with everything including a 5 lug swap told her dad : Hey ! He has no antenna.
I said yeah you're right .
I had a shitty aftermarket radio in the RX7 and never bother to mess with it.
V8 rumble is music to me so I rather have the look of the original radio since I don't listen to it anyway. :dunno:

.....How much did you pay for that lift? and bought where?

Bought it here shipped to Plattsburg N.Y and brought it back.
All you have to pay is taxes , no duty even if it's made in China.
This is when I got it here , almost 3 years.
Best thing ever to own if your hobby is cars.

It's staying there too.

I don't known if you guys noticed but I have no antenna , shaved , gone not even a hole.

I didn't noticed until the daughter of my friend who has also a LX but a 4 Cyl. 1992 swapped with a 94-95 SN95 5.0L with everything including a 5 lug swap told her dad : Hey ! He has no antenna.
I said yeah you're right .
I had a shitty aftermarket radio in the RX7 and never bother to mess with it.
V8 rumble is music to me so I rather have the look of the original radio since I don't listen to it anyway. :dunno:

Le RX7 a encore le meme radio de merde, je crois qu'il a été allumé un gros 20 minutes total en 2 ans. :p

+1 pour la musique du V8 :D

Quand est-ce que tu passes dans le coin me montrer ca? :)

Le RX7 a encore le meme radio de merde, je crois qu'il a été allumé un gros 20 minutes total en 2 ans. :p

+1 pour la musique du V8 :D

Quand est-ce que tu passes dans le coin me montrer ca? :)

J'ai passer a deux cheveux de t'appeller Dimanche passer.

En fin de semaine je vais me chercher une place pour tester mon nouveau radiateur si il fait beau et que tu est chez vous Samedi apres midi je pourrais aller te voir. *tu*

When I paint I'll shave the antenna holes and trunk lock. For now I got a 93 Cobra R hole cover. Looks cool to the conaisseurs/fanatics lol.

Mid Summer update.

I've finalized my V6 Ford Taurus electric fan conversion by adding a module to control when the fan starts , switch speed and run with A/C on.
I have picked up a Canadian Company called Harris Performance Controls .
Jeff the owner did a custom setup for me because it was the 1st time he was making a kit for a 2 speed single fan like the V6 Ford Taurus / Mark VIII one.
His kits are very nice , pigtail connections are all sealed & came with instructions , etc.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I've decided to hide the module & relays left front inner fender not to have more wires in the engine bay.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I don't have a extra hole on my car for the temperature sensor that is located right behind the distributor cap so I've decided to put a "T" ( Home Depot style ) to have my OEM gauge sensor + HPC "GM" style sensor together face to face.
Not too sure if it's the best way but for now I'll leave it like that.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I did a minor modification to his kit by adding a 3rd relay because to start my fan ( when A/C is ON ) I need to send one of his wire to ground but in my case if I take the signal according to his schematic ( on the A/C relay ) fan was always on .
On my car compare to GM , Dodge and other later Ford model the A/C clutch relay is also the WOT "Wide Open Throttle" switch to turn the clutch fan off when floored so I've added this 3rd relay hooked up like this ( Found on Google )

ry%3D480

So I took the signal right on the + ( Black & Yellow ) wire on the A/C clutch to activate my 3rd relay to send a signal to ground so my fan starts when I turn the A/C ON and it works but I didn't like the fan to cycle On & Off when the clutch was engaging / releasing so I've changed that and took the signal right between the A/C pressure sensor and the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) switch and it's working perfectly.

His kit always come with a extra wire to override all setting to start the fan on the High Speed manually but I left it alone because there is no need for that at least for me.

Final result

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I have set up my fan at 200 degrees ON ( Low speed ) and 210 Hi Speed.
Works like a charm. *tu*

ry%3D480

Car is trouble free , love it but I've melted the rubber on the 21 years old A/C clutch so I've updated it with a newer style clutch ( about 3 weeks go ) and it's also working perfectly.
Ice cold A/C is still fully functioning even after 21 years.

Look at the rubber on the old clutch.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The new clutch doesn't use rubber as a spring when A/C clutch cycles OFF , instead it is 3 metal spring blades like most newer car so I should be good for another 20 years. :p

This is the only trouble I got so far with the car. *tu*

I've decided to switch my front brake pads for some Hawk HPS .
I'll get a little less brake dust then what I had.
My car looked like I was racing "lapping" it with the other pads.
I haven't done that for performance , I've done that thinking I can minimized the dust.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Not too sure what's next on it.
Rear disc setup would be nice , in my case it will be only for looks .
I'm not sure if I'll have the funds this summer to do that.

I have those pads, they work well. I also have a set of MM braided hoses waiting to go on. MM also makes a steel caliper sleeves to replace the rubber pieces and upgraded brake shoes.

Nothing exciting but tonight on my evening ride , next to my place on HWY 25 South Bound there is a Government scale for trucks and when it's closed they leave the system on with a screen turn toward us so you can stop and weight your car .
There is 5 pads so you can see full weight or choose 2 pads and your see the weight distribution.

My car is almost same weight as my ex swapped RX7 but weight distribution is not even close.
The Mustang 5.0L with 1/2 tank of gas weights 1410 KG ( 3108LBS ) so 60% of the weight is in the front and 40% on the back .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This is a picture I found of my RX7 with also a V8 Iron Block ( LT1 ) on the same scale.

100 KG less and weight distribution almost 50/50.

ry%3D480

We can't compare those 2 cars anyway. Chassis of the RX7 was way stiffer then the FOX.
Different car for different crowd but both cars are cool to own . *tu*

Ca fonctionne parfaitement.
La temperature sur le gauge d'origine , prise avec le sensor d'origine est "right on" .
Le fan part au degree que j'veut et switch a "HI" 10 degree plus haut que ma temperature de depart. *tu*

Gathering parts for the winter project that is a 1993 FOX body 4 lug rear disc brake swap and I think today I've received the last missing parts.
I've done some research online and my list ended up like this :

-Rear brake kit for 87-93 FOX that will retain FOX track ( same width as drums ) from North Racecars including the 1993 Cobra R brake cables ( different from 87-92 ) .
-1993 Cobra Master Cylinder that can be bought anywhere.
-3 to 2 hard line conversion . Few companies make them.
In my case I can't bent lines like that .
-Brake proportioning valve plug that can also be bought anywhere.
-Drum to disc conversion brake lines. ( optional )
-Adjustable brake proportioning valve. ( Optional ? )
-Rear center axle Stainless Steel brake hose, available anywhere. ( Optional )

This complete the rear unless I forgot something but I know I can upgrade parts but I just want to swap it to disc but stay 4 lug ( OEM look ) .

I've decided to upgrade the front a little but there is not much options if you are low budget and want to stay 4 lug.

Here's the budget list :

-Stock 73mm 84-85 SVO front brake caliper ( 87-93 have 60mm ) .
-Stainless steel caliper sleeves.
-Stainless steel front brake hoses.

Not that I'm racing the car or anything but this should match the new rear pretty good.

Now the thing is :

Can I wait until this winter to do that ?
If I've done my homework correctly I should have all bit and pieces to do the complete swap in one day . ummmm
Tomorrow morning I'll paint some parts and I'll decide after if I sacrifice my weekend to do that. :p

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

That's a nice pile of parts to be put together .

ry%3D580

I bought the calipers ( new rebuilt ) at Pieces d'auto Lacroix in Terrebonne for $28.00 a pieces and they came with composite "plastic" 73mm pistons but I read online that if you can find some steel 73mm piston to replace the plastic one it is a good upgrade so lucky me my friend has a body that rebuilt and sell brake parts so he just traded mine for some steel one.

I had painted the front SVO calipers earlier this week.

ry%3D580

I have removed the rubber guide bushings to install the new stainless steel one.

ry%3D580

This will remove the flex from those rubber bushings gives to the caliper and pads to improve braking and wear the pads evenly .

ry%3D580

Now

ry%3D580

Before

ry%3D580

We'll see tomorrow how my painting turns out .

:stan:

Obviously I was unable to wait so I've started to work on the front end this morning ( Saturday ) .

You can see the difference between stock 87-93 FOX front brake caliper versus the 84-85 SVO one .

ry%3D580

Look at the piston difference .

ry%3D580

To run the SVO calipers on a FOX ( even if you don't do rear disc swap ) you still need to run SVO Master cylinder or 93 Cobra one .

I picked up the 1993 Cobra because the SVO master Cylinder looks like one from the 70's.

Left side is a stock 1993 Mustang LX with 3 ports ( 2 side & 1 bottom ) and right the 1993 Cobra that has only 2 port on the side.

ry%3D580

To run my Hawk pads ( or some stock one ) you need to grind off the thing on the back to hold the pads in the piston and replace it by another style ( see above the pad ) .

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

Stock 1993 LX master cylinder & hard lines setup

ry%3D580

1993 Cobra Master cylinder & hard lines setup

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

Stock proportioning valve removed and will be plugged off with the shinny plug you see below the spring

ry%3D580

Here's where I'll be installing the proportioning valve , I'll remove the brass union and bolt the valve there

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

Front end is done , bleeded and road tested .

I wanted to try the new front as is before swapping the rear drums for the disc setup just to see the difference and yes there is one just with the SVO calipers , Stainless steel caliper guides , stainless steel hoses and the new master .
When I hit the brakes the front end will dive instantly and the push of the pedal is different , stiffer then before.
With that setup , if I was going to keep the drums , I would have to bring the shoes lot closer to the drums because it feels like I have brakes only up front the way the front end dive when I hit the brakes and the proportioning valve is all the way open .

Tomorrow morning I'll attack the rear . :bigup:

This is the last time I'll see them so they deserve a picture before their final rest.

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

Right old setup , left 8.8 disc set up

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

I know the nut for the shock isn't there. :p

ry%3D580

ry%3D580

Time went by fast but when I looked at the thermometer around 3.00 PM it was 38 degrees and my sensor is located under the shade so right under the sun it was probably pretty hot . :yikes:

ry%3D580

I went for a small test drive but I still need to bleed the system and so far I don't think the proportioning valve was needed but I wait until all the air is out to give my final verdict.

I can barely lock the front wheels right now and the pedal is low so more bleeding is needed.

The rear brackets were not a perfect fit , I had to grind a little , 2 banjo bolts were missing for the rear calipers and I realized it when everything was hooked up , oil dripping from both rear hoses , that I had no banjo bolts in the kit so I called a buddy in North Montreal and he had the exact 2 bolts I was looking for so I had to put a bunch of rags around the end or both hoses and race up to Montreal to grab them.

Brake cables not hooked up , I'll do that tomorrow .

Fun job but messy , real messy . :rolleyes:

Real glad the 1970's drum setup is gone. :bigup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back