Suspension Question - Sagging?

lorida

Howdy,

I've noticed that my car, a 2007 Impreza Sport Wagon (100k km), sags a lot in the back when loaded?

With 1-2 passengers, it's no problem. But if I load it up for a weekend away with four people + luggage, the rear sags waaaayyyyy down. To the point where the rear wheel is slightly tucked under the fender (2-3 inches). When I use my Gfs MDX, the sag isn't noticeable.

My friends aren't obese, typically 2 guys, 2 girls, a few bags, etc. Must equal around 350 pounds in the backseat and trunk, 800 pounds total in the car.

Is this typical for these cars? I recently had my suspension checked, no leaks or issues were noted, everything is tight.

I ask, because I'm going to Maine (350 miles) in two weeks with a camping trailer (100 pounds tongue weight) and was asked by some friends if they can get a lift. I said no, but now I'm wondering if there's any danger. I'm not willing to upgrade my springs/suspension for them, they could walk for all I care :p

With the luggage, people, and trailer, I'd be around 1400 pounds.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a Wagon sport or an Outback sport? Mine is an 04 Outback Sport Wagon and the rear sags too even after I had to change my rear shocks due to one leaking. It might be a feature of the rear suspension due to it being an Outback?

haha, I don't know the difference?

I believe I just have the Impreza Sport Wagon.

I know it's a smaller car, but I'm surprised that this is "typical"? I thought Subaru's are a car you can load up with 5 people, gear, then drive up a mountain without hesitation.

Well, the Outback has two tone paint, rubber rear fender protectors and an outback crest in the back. I'm not sure but I think Outbacks also have standard roof rails.

Mine sags even without anything in the trunk. It handles well though and I think it's normal. Maybe it's just "low" like that. I don't know.

Here's mine, notice how the back is slightly lower than the front? There's nothing in the trunk, no passengers, nothing.

216372_10151924744909546_294997464_n.jpg

Here are a few picture of similar cars found on the web:

2004_subaru_impreza_outback_sport_base_virginia_beach_va_99291687108063449.jpg

photo.php

Impreza_Outback_Sport_04-05_1.jpg

2004_subaru_impreza_outback_sport_wagon_4d_96635320441206624.jpg

I think they all sag. Even different years:

subaru_07imprezawagon_angularfront_Regular.jpg

11735d1172854329-theletteris-obs-lift-tires8.jpg

Maybe it's a feature?

So I certainly don't have the Outback model.

The sag without load is acceptable. It really is the loaded sag I'm concerned about.

Do you ever pull a trailer with yours + people?

I don't have a trailer hitch, I want to have one installed actually, I have a small trailer I used with my old Sidekick:

Because having 80HP doesn't prevent you from towing furniture or even 1 yard of gravel like I did later that summer:

303639_10151208694724546_1952428523_n.jpg

I'm just worried that it's TOO small for the Subaru...

So I took the trailer on a test run. Tongue weight is around 120 pounds with the battery and propane tank. The trailer itself is about 950 pounds.

The car handled fine, and the sag wasn't bad. About 1.5", and the top of the wheels were below the fenders (not tucked underneath). Power was also fine, sufficient torque to accelerate without burning the clutch.

I opted to not bring the friends down though. Just the trailer is a rather noticeable weight. With luggage, bikes, my GF, food, etc., it'll be a "full" load. I wouldn't push it much past that! It'll also be rather taxing on the brakes, especially in the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Thanks for the input LG ;)

Last edited:
Indeed. I've heard it's better for towing though, especially in the hills.

I remember when we used to tow our Airstream with our GMC Safari, it used to jump around gears all the time...it was terrible. Transmission actually blew very prematurely.

Back