Noob support, please enlighten me here.

.getbent.

I am convinced that something i do is off, so this is why i am asking here for a helping hand.

I am trying to take some car shots with okay results colors/exposure wise imo but somehow the focus always is out of whack.

Very very basic gear, rebel XS with the 18-55 is and a 50mm f1.8.

In the case of the example shots below, i was standing far away using the 50mm at 2.0, if somebody could point me towards what i did wrong and give me a hand correcting i'd be grateful.

What bothers me is that the car is not sharp at all on all.

rjl4c8.jpg

I'm not familiar with your camera model, but I know on my Canon, I have the option to position the focus point anywhere in the frame, and them simply have the lens autofocus. That might help you a little.

I did just that tonight while scouting a spot and the results ended up pretty much identical.

Still with the 50, across the street but this time the autofocus dot was right on the car.
I am wondering if i would not be better off with the 18 closer at longer exposition than from a distance with the 50 at 1.8.

This is the best i could do and i am very disapointed with the result focus wise.

2w5jfdf.jpg

Last edited:
Shooting wide open is not the best for sharpness, now try at F7.1 ++ *tu*
+ it could be caused by a cheap UV filter on the lens if you have one..

I dont have any filters but i will definitely give the higher f shots since i have a tripod laying around.

Back