Article: Are Toyota Supras Worth The Insane Amounts People Are Asking?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
I'm doing a short writeup on the Toyota Supra. Can someone help me find out how many Toyota Supras were sold in Canada?

Ever since the first Fast and the Furious movie was released in 2001 it seems people just can’t get enough of the fourth generation Toyota sports car. Like it or not the Supra has become our generation’s “General Lee” – the 1969 Dodge Charger made famous by the Dukes of Hazard television show (if you are not in your 30s you can google it).

The fourth generation Supra was sold in the U.S. from 1993 to 1998 as both twin-turbo and naturally aspirated (non-turbo) models. In Canada it was sold from 1994 to 1996 and only the twin-turbo model was available. The 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder twin-turbo was called the 2JZ-GTE and pumped out 320 horsepower and 315 pound–feet of torque. The 2JZ-GE non-turbo engine (also 3.0-litre) made 22 horsepower and 210 pound-feet of torque.
The suspension, drivetrain and non-turbo motor were shared with the Lexus SC300/400 models. Both manual and automatic transmissions were available.

According to the Supra enthusiast website MKIV.com, 11,239 fourth-generation Supras were sold in the USA. We can’t find any info on Canadian Supra sales.

We regularly see kijiji finds involving people asking exorbitant prices for Toyota Supras like this one which was posted yesterday. It’s a 1993 non-turbo for $30,000. Turbo versions have been known to fetch even more money. What do you think? Would you pay this much to own a Toyota Supra?

Toyota Supra usagé a vendre sur Guide de l’Auto.

Photo from a Toronto Supra meet two weeks ago (credit: coolsupra76)
0714-supra.jpg

In short, as long as there's buyers willing to spend whatever people are asking, then yes, they are worth it.

Personally its not my kind of car, but IMO there's really nothing else like an MKIV Supra. They are unique cars and will become even more desirable over time.

For 30g I just buy a new car, not crazy about over paying for somebody else's beater and then continue spending money to keep it running.

No, its insane IMO. It was a great car back in 1994. But today? a $24k V6 mustang makes as much power as the turbo supra.

Maybe it was cool when the first fast and furious came out, but right now it just makes you look tit-coune as fuck

No, its insane IMO. It was a great car back in 1994. But today? a $24k V6 mustang makes as much power as the turbo supra.

Maybe it was cool when the first fast and furious came out, but right now it just makes you look tit-coune as fuck

In my book, comparing a V6 Mustang to a TT Supra because it makes more HP is infinitely more ti-coune.

Heck, I'd pick a N/A Supra over a 14' Mustang GT...

But I didn't see the 30K NA Supra, that's waaayy to much...

In my book, comparing a V6 Mustang to a TT Supra because it makes more HP is infinitely more ti-coune.

Heck, I'd pick a N/A Supra over a 14' Mustang GT...

But I didn't see the 30K NA Supra, that's waaayy to much...

See there's your answer right there. These cars are overpriced because people like Dubweiser still have a hard on for a 20 years old toyota and are still convinced its the best thing since sliced bread.

for me no, but supply vs demand always tell the final selling price of something. The Supra for me is in the same bag as the NSX, they are keeping their value very well because toyota and honda aren't offering real sports car anymore. The FD rx-7 could have been in the group but the reliability kills the value.

To me the real Supra hype strated with the 2nd Get away in Stockholm movie and not with that FAF riced out pink supra. I agree they are incredible car in a OEM+ form, I would not personally pay the market price for such a car but I think they '' worth it '' since they are easy to resale and keep a very good value when well maintained. That 30k non turbo one is ridiculous imo ...

See there's your answer right there. These cars are overpriced because people like Dubweiser still have a hard on for a 20 years old toyota and are still convinced its the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't get your panties in a bunch because I don't have the same opinion as you.

Rambo's on fire ... rofl at comparing a v6 mustang to a mkiv supra and rofl x2 at saying an mkiv supra is ti-coune.

The model is sexy but nowadays with all the newer forced induction or sinply more powerful cars you can get for cheap the only reason you would buy one is for the style/history of the car IMO

Yeah, but then you're driving a V6 Mustang. FYI, a Mk4 Supra TT bone stock was faster than a 2014 Mustang GT, forget about the V6.

They are iconic cars, and not just because of the FNF factor. These were supercar killers when they came out. Saying that owning one makes you a "tit-coune" is complete nonsense.

Everyone has their own opinion, but owning a stock bodied MKIV Supra with some basic upgrades is on my bucket list. I plan to get one for my next car.

FYI, a Mk4 Supra TT bone stock was faster than a 2014 Mustang GT, forget about the V6.

Yeah ok buddy

1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 13.7
1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 13.5
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 13.6

2011 Mustang GT 12.7
2011 Mustang V6 13.9

Its not a mustang vs supra thread. i was just saying 300hp was a lot back then, today not so much

I've never been a fan of Supras... There are nice ones, but the majority are riced out/beat up.

Not my style at all.

So the mustang is to the supra what the supra is to the 250 GTO? Some people are just hopeless

Why buy an NSX when you can buy a 2014 Mustang?
Why buy an R34 GTR when you can buy a 2014 Mustang?
Why buy a KPGC10 when you can buy a 2014 Mustang?
Why buy a 30k+ 60-70's muscle car when you can buy a 2014 Mustang?
Why buy Mustang when you can buy a Dart?

Happier?

Back