What lens should I buy?

Installations GTH

Shop Representative
Hey everyone...

I have a D60 I mess around with and want to buy a better lens. I want a simple fixed length , and I am guessing I want it to be VR. I am not using it for moving objects or distance, just your typical pics...

I have done a bit of reading but Ken Rockwell seems like an idiot so I thought I would try here!

Thanks!

That or the 35mm F1.8 if you want something a little bit wider, both very good for lowlight !
The 50mm being a little better for portraits.

Do NOT touch the 35mm 1.8
P.O.S. lens. About as sharp as a stick of butter.
Stay away!!

50mm 1.8G if you want autofocus. You don't need to spend the extra for the 1.4 no matter how much better the lens is, from what I understand your goals-level-etc are (not saying this in a mean way)

Great advice, I didn't realize the 1.4 would not have auto focus, I am just used to it and I find the auto focus lenses when used manually just feel like crap.

The 1.8g it is! 50mm.

It is what I thought I would go with but now confirmed.

Thanks!

if you get one, tell me how much you paid for if you can please !
i'm always looking for the best place to get one at a fair price, used or brand new
thanks !

Do NOT touch the 35mm 1.8
P.O.S. lens. About as sharp as a stick of butter.
Stay away!!

50mm 1.8G if you want autofocus. You don't need to spend the extra for the 1.4 no matter how much better the lens is, from what I understand your goals-level-etc are (not saying this in a mean way)

I thought it was the other way around, auto focus on the 1.4 not the 1.8...

For my d60

Do you think you will upgrade to fullframe one day? the 24-70 2.8 is very nice.

a good combo to buy on nikon would be the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 with that you are set for life.

I think your d60 is 1.6 crop sensor? the 1.8 would let more light in, but I'd suggest a 35mm, little wider field of vision, I THINK a 35mm on a 1.6 is about equal FOV to a 50mm on a full frame?

I thought it was the other way around, auto focus on the 1.4 not the 1.8...

For my d60

Not sure if this has been figured out by OP or answered however Nikon D60 does not have built-in focus motor.
Meaning that nikon lens where it indicated a D such as 50mm 1.8D will not auto focus however the 50 mm1.8G will auto focus with D60. Keep in mind that 50 1.8D is approx. 100$ and 50mm 1.8G is approx 200$. Even if you dont have built in focus motor, you can still use the 50mm 1.8D since Nikon cameras can use the center focusing point to confirm focus (when you point the center focusing point on the plane you want to focus and manually move the focusing ring until you see the triangular arrows turn into a circle inside the viewfinder).

difference between 1.8 and 1.4 is half stop of light meaning that 1.4 will let in 50% more light which can be useful in low light or indor scenarios. More light means that you can possibly increase the shutter speed so you get less motion blur (therefore have sharper subjects).

VR is vibration reduction meaning that that the lens would take into account the motion of pressing on the shutter button and compensate for that movement (kinda like suspensions on a car). In short, that means that you can probably shoot at a little slower shutter speed without getting motion blur. it is also useful for video however D60 does not shoot video.

Dear OP,
I also have a D60 and a couple of those lenses. PM me if you feel like doing a photo meet up.

Back