(FOUND) Looking for ISO of latest RNS510 Nav Maps Update

Hmmm . . . as noted above, I have put the 8407 images located here into two RNS-510 heads (one 2013, one 2015) and had *ZERO* issues . . . I really think the issue is good. Burn was done with K3b and/or xmcd . . . not certain, since noting fails . . .
I'm not saying that the image is bad. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have RNS 510 model A 2009 running SW1140. Had installed 6899 maps on it and decided to update. It started fine, message said that my maps are outdated and asked if I want to save new maps data to HDD, and 5 minutes later I got this message IMG_3456.jpg
and now I don't have any maps even old maps got deleted somehow. Now it just says IMG_3452.jpg
and when I put a dvd back in couple minutes later I get same CD/DVD error message
I used IMGBurner to burn images to dvd using DVD+R DL at different speeds

It's quite possible that the DVD drive in your RNS is starting to fail . . . small errors are not really audible in music, but are fatal to data. And, so far, that is the only thing in common to all your attempts . . . Did you verify the DVD burn to the source image? And have you tried downloading it again, in case the initial download of the image was corrupted? (I've read the thread, but don't recall seeing any mention of that . . . just repeated attempts to burn it . . . ).

- Tim

Yes I verified DVD every single time. And Yes I downloaded the image 2 times. I'll try if I can find DVD drive replacement or try to update it from SD card. Thanks for help.

Last edited:
according to this article https://paulroberts69.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/upgrading-firmware-and-maps-on-vw-rns-510-satnav/ it's possible, but the map tool only supports V7, V9, and V10 maps only. So now I'm stuck looking for those images but can't find a working link anywhere.

Interesting. It's not the RNS Firmware doing that copy (so my comment that the RNS won't use SD is valid), but I didn't know that someone had come up with an alternate boot image that was able to do so. Too bad they don't really document what they do with the map data when they push it to the SD card, but I can't imagine much being version centric ... (myself, I'd prefer instructions than some blind binary "proprietary blob of goo" tool that only works in Derp Ware . . . But, it likely works for the masses . . .

If all else fails, everyone who had a 2013 Passat (possibly plus or minus a year as well) got a map data disk from VW to help speed (different map layout), so if you are still blank, that was V9 or some such, and someone ought to be able to loan you one of those to at least get something back on the unit.

Hello all,
Just bought me a Passat NMS 2012 with the RNS510 unit.
I am looking to update maps and firmware. My current FW is 3690, and maps are 7515.

Anybody can recommend a link where I can download the latest maps and firmware? I am finding it a little bit hard.

Appreciate the help!

Dealer can update firmware no charge. Maps you have to pay for unless you find a download link, which I never did, so I paid for Navteq maps update.

Thanks for your answer. I will check with the dealers in Ottawa in regards to FW update and maps. BTW, you are not looking to get rid of your maps' DVD, are you?

Back