Sell my gpu and buy 970/980?

Cryptkeeper

MR staff member
I bought a 780ti classified edition a while back, and thinking of selling it and picking up a newer card. Thinking of getting 2x970 which seems to work amazing for higher end gaming. I currently have 3x27"1080p but might drop one and get a 4k to replace it...

What you guys think? Also, what you think I could sell my card for? Its 829$ new currently

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Edit: Now that the cards are out more reviewers have bench marked them. From what I've seen depending on the game and or settings, the 780Ti is just as good as the 980 or only marginally slower.

Selling it you won't get much. I've seen deals that put a Ti in the high 600's.http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-780-ti-58-93804.htm and given the results why buy a 780Ti if you can get a new 980 for $620. IMO not worth it, you'd be throwing away money stupidly.

Side note, WTF happened to the GTX880 do they not know how to count to 9.

Last edited:
My card is better than a 980, however, the 980 is better in 4k, and the only 4k display I have is my laptop.

I would not be interested in a 980, I would sli 2 970's which has an incredible increase on high rez gaming. (And also with triple monitor gaming) but I would only do that if I also get a 4k screen.

Right now im running on a 2500k with 8 gigs ram, both of which will not bottleneck gaming, but it MIGHT running at 4k. Dont know if I should spend 800$ on first upgrading mobo/cpu (4970k) and 16gb 2xxxmhz ram or try to sell my card and go sli970

didnt you get the titan like less then a year ago ???
No, I got the 780ti classified (bit faster than titan in gaming, but like half the vram, so it's not as good on UHD resolutions, also the titan was $1200, the 780ti is 828$) I would never have gone for the titan, it's more for industrial stuff.

The 780ti has be discontinued, and IF I can sell it for 600$ (I lose 228$ plus taxes cause it's used, dunno if i can get that price) maybe it's worth it to upgrade to 2 970's for the extra 250$ (at least that's how i justify it to myself :p)

HOWEVER.... the cards should only be used for UHD gaming. I do not have a UHD monitor... and I cant use Steams In-Home Streaming to my UHD laptop because my 2500k does not provide the bandwith to render 4k h.264 (even if I emulated a 4k display).

Right now I have 3 choices (well 4 if I don't buy anything)

1) the smartest choice (I think): buy an entry level UHD display, something in the 600-800$ range. It's slightly more future-proof that upgrading my internals. That, or I buy an LG 4k 42" tv (1200$)and hook it up to my computer. (I would still have to do graphics on my 27" TN)

2) I sell my videocard (hopefully) and upgrade to SLI 970 (same price, 2x performance on UHD graphics, wait till I get a UHD display) (approx 250$)

3) I upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram, which I don't think I need to right now, I'd rather wait for broadwell. (approx 850$)

4) I do nothing, and pocket the money and spend it on hookers and blow.

Which would you do?

EDIT: I forgot! or another option is buy 2X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and put them in raid-0

Je rescend ta douleur, sa fait chier vendre des carte graphique

Envoyé de mon SGH-I747M en utilisant Tapatalk

What about the GM200? It's suppose to be the next beast Nvidia produces but there's no ETA.

It'a going to be expensive, like really expensive.

I wanted to get a 4k monitor, and have sli 970 running it, which should be a great bang for the buck performance boost, honestly, I think at this point I missed the window to sell my card, so I'm probably just going to use this card a a hand-me down in a year.

what do u do that requires 4k ?

Use my eyes? ;)

like I mentioned, my laptop is already 4k. I like it. (Except for the yellows)

Right now my main machine has 3 27" monitors. I can fit 4 of those in a 4k display (not really, I just mean pixels, not physical size) I can also view my photos at a higher rez and play games at 4k, but would jave to upgradr my video cards. (Or get another 780ti)

Still can you give us what game apps ur using right now to me 4k is the new 3d
... We are not there yet
!

Primarily photoshop and lightroom, I havent had my server start downloading 4k rips but I dont kjow if tgey exist yet (what are they, 50 gigs compressed? )

No gaming. My 860m cant support gaming, but if I get a 4k display or emulate it, I can probably us3 in home streaming with gigabit network .

Probably not though...

Back