Any CVT transmission with better performance than there automatic/manual counterpart?

[ShInGo]

Legacy Member
I was wondering if the CVT are still slower than the manual transmission in every car? In theory cvt should be faster but it's still not the case. Any idea why? Technology is not mature enough?

Are CVTs still a thing? They are so shitty, I thought the two and a half people who gave a shit about cvt R&D finally called it quits.

What do you mean by slower? with a CVT the power is delivered 100% of the time under acceleration.
However the power loss and lack of long-term reliability by such a design dosen't make it a good option..

What do you mean by slower? with a CVT the power is delivered 100% of the time under acceleration.
However the power loss and lack of long-term reliability by such a design doesn't make it a good option..

Yes they have 100% power under acceleration, yet the 0-100 and 1/4 mile is always slower than manual and conventional automatic.

Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Honda are in the CVT big time. German are going more to the "DSG" route, American's are going to the 8-9 speed auto.

Yes they have 100% power under acceleration, yet the 0-100 and 1/4 mile is always slower than manual and conventional automatic.

Because the design, the amount of friction needed to propel a car with constant slipping, is wasting torque within the tranmission

Subaru, Nissan, Toyota, Honda are in the CVT big time. German are going more to the "DSG" route, American's are going to the 8-9 speed auto.

Germans had their shot at the CVT but it didn't prove to be efficient enough, gas consumption vs effiency was not worth the further R&D when there are already better and simpler alternatives available today.

j'ai essayé la WRX 2014 avec le CVT est le rendement est excellent! Ce n,est probablement pas le même que dans les autres modèles Sub

It's always weird to drive a car that sounds and feels like a snowmobile... I don't really like it!

I hate driving the CVT too but it's quick. Before you know it the N/A CVT 2.0l Lancer is doing above the speed limit...

Official numbers for 0-60MPH on the 2.0l are as follows:

Manual - 7.9s
CVT - 7.1s

There's no normal automatic, it's manual or CVT only.

But it's mostly good for fuel economy on the highway though. Revving 2200RPM @ 114km/h gives you incredible highway gas mileage.

Its performance is great 0-100 but the main issue, like with a lot of computer controlled automatics, is the 40-100/60-120/etc. The reaction time is SLOOOW compared to manual or conventional automatic with just a torque converter and hydraulics to decide the revs and the shift points.

I imagine an auto sports car is different, like an automatic Mustang GT probably doesn't have that "lag."

With thes ECU controlled autos, you gotta kinda tap the pedal to wake up the engine, ease up then give gas.

I've found that the best method to accelerate the CVT from a stop is to give about 2/3 pedal, ease up to about half, then sort of follow the revs up to the point where the computer maxes the revs out and let the CVT do all the work which is usually the spot when you keep it WOT. It's eerie to see the rev counter "stuck" just under 6200RPM while the car is still taking off like a bat out of hell.

It does have trouble if the car is heavy, like when I was driving to Myrtle Beach I had to WOT to take a left turn on a highway (weirdest configuration ever...) in semi-thick traffic with everyone doing about 100km/h, from dead stop turning left the engine goes WOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA as the revs build and it feels like forever to make that 0-100. I had two passengers and 4 luggages + cooler with drinks and lunch.

The Subaru is different, not a CVT, just a regular ECU controlled 4sp auto. You want to go about half-pedal then WITHOUT easing up you gently lower to the WOT position. I'm not sure where the limiter is on the Subaru, it seems to shift into second at around 7000 RPM but sometimes it sort of keeps it longer, which is scary because the last engine you want to over-rev is that H4 2.5... That H4 under load sound is great though. I can only imagine how it would sound on a manual Turbo with exhaust.

However it doesn't seem to care if the car is weighed down or not, the H4 has enough torque to handle it.

If I could change ONE thing about either cars, I'd switch the Subaru to manual. I hardly ever drive the Lancer...

I can't think of a better transmission for my IQ than a CVT. It does what it has to, it revs at 2000rpm at 100kmh, which is amazing for a 1.3L engine, and honestly, there aren't any flaws aside from 0-20kmh acceleration. Its sluggish off the line, but after 20kmh if responds quickly and I don't think it would be quicker with a manual or traditional auto.

ShinGo: As for the 2015 Subaru WRX, these are the official times I read:
CVT: 0-60 mph 5.2 quarter mile 13.9
Manual: 0-60mph 5.1 quarter mile 13.7

I can't think of a better transmission for my IQ than a CVT. It does what it has to, it revs at 2000rpm at 100kmh, which is amazing for a 1.3L engine, and honestly, there aren't any flaws aside from 0-20kmh acceleration. Its sluggish off the line, but after 20kmh if responds quickly and I don't think it would be quicker with a manual or traditional auto.

ShinGo: As for the 2015 Subaru WRX, these are the official times I read:
CVT: 0-60 mph 5.2 quarter mile 13.9
Manual: 0-60mph 5.1 quarter mile 13.7

Très bon 2000rpm @ 100km/h pour une IQ.

Every time I see a Lancer CVT with pedal shifters I have to smile. I call then the feel good pedals, feels like you're shifting, but better off leaving it in drive and just wot.

Back