Fuel price last 12 months Ottawa vs Montreal

A little pointer if you're in Ottawa visiting, fill up at night. Price always drop throughout the day, sometime 4 to 5 cents. Also fill up in the west or east end of the city where it is also 2 to 3 cents cheaper then in downtown. Otherwise go fill up at Costco where it's always 5 to 8 cents cheaper.

I doubt there is price fixing here as there is so much variations between different gas stations. I was really surprised when I last visited Quebec City when all the gas stations, regardless of the neighborhood, had the exact same price, right down to the last digit...

Le graphique du OP...

ça se pourrais-tu que la raison est que les données prises à Montréal sont pas prises aussi souvent que celle à Ottawa? Cela pourrait expliquer que la ligne bleue semble beaucoup plus précise que la rouge.

Pour ce qui est de la différence entre les 2 prix, j'ai trouvé que les prix entre Ottawa et Montréal étaient beaucoup plus rapprochés cet été que par le passé. Plusieurs fois la différence était proche du 0.05 à 0.08 ce qui est minime. J'y suis allé 5 fois cet été.

Taxes do in part explain the spikes. Higher taxes also equals greater fluctuations.

Also the scale of the graph really makes it look worse. Draw the same graph starting at 0$ instead of 1.15$ and those spikes dissapear. If your baseline however is a comparison to a less taxed province, then the higher taxes province will have higher spikes, it is inevitable.

Don't get me wrong I dont like paying more than I have to for fuel, but I'm very critical of graphs, you can make them work in any way depending on how you scale it.

Très bonne analyse.

If I'm not mistaken, the weekly spikes are explained by the Quebec law that sets a floor price weekly.

Quebec to protect the small independent gas station (cough cough, to protect their tax revenues) sets a FLOOR price each week.
What does it mean? It means in Quebec there is no competition, because the province sets the lowest price allowed to sell by law.

Hence, price is set each week (by the Régie de l'Énergie du Québec). All stations spike up and then everyday it goes down a cent because of competition and then after a week it spikes back up 10 cents.

Back