Which brand new car is the cheapest?

[ShInGo]

Legacy Member
Just for kick, which new car has the cheapest total cost of ownership available in canada

let's say the owner keep it for 10 years, drive 20000km 50/50 mixed driving per year.

So which car do you believe will be the cheapest.

total cost of ownership include maintenance, car cost, insurance, gas, resale value.

I bet the cheapest car is probably around 25k$-35k$

Last edited:
Without doing a detailed analysis I would have to think it is still the top 2 Japanese car manufacturers (Honda or Toyota) with their Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris. No European cars, American cars and no Koreans.

To this day, I still think the Honda Civic can be purchased blindly. It is a very good car.

Without doing a detailed analysis I would have to think it is still the top 2 Japanese car manufacturers (Honda or Toyota) with their Honda Civic, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris. No European cars, American cars and no Koreans.

To this day, I still think the Honda Civic can be purchased blindly. It is a very good car.

Do you think the sub compact are cheaper than the hybrid and full electric car?

Je dirais nissan micra, économique, pas cher d'entretiens, pas cher à l'achat. Après 10 ans ça vaudra pu rien, mais puisque le prix d'achat est si bas, ça vaut sûrement la peine quand même

Do you think the sub compact are cheaper than the hybrid and full electric car?

Yes, for the simple reason that battery packs have an estimated lifecycle of 6-8 years at which point you need to spend thousands of dollars to replace it. When your car is 8- years old, is it worth it to put thousands in a battery pack? It will be interesting to see what happens to these cars in 8 years time.

I am a firm believer in EV and it will be my next car but they need to bring down the battery replacement costs.

And the modern day small displacement combustion engines still have a long life.

Moi je dirais Yaris. Ça coute pas si cher à l'achat, coute rien en gaz, rien en entretiens et garde une bonne valeur de revente.

Nissan Micra a 9998$

pas cher de gas , 0 electronique , meme pas d'A/C rien qui peu brisé vraiment a part des truc d'entretien régulier ..

ajoute 1200L de gaz par an (1600$) et un entretien minimum et tu est prêt a affronter la vie ...

mais d'un sens Une Mitsubishi I-miev a 28 000$ peu être très intéressante sur un coût de possession total de 10 ans

28000$ prix d'achat et a peine 300-400$/an electricité apres 10ans tu reviens au même presque

Keeping it for ten years and still want decent resale value? Then it will never be the cheapest to own and operate.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

10 years is hard to predict because the variables are way too high (type of use, maintenance).

But Kelley blue book has a 5 year cost to own awards (including msrp) and in their 2014 edition the subcompact category winner is the Chevrolet Spark, 2nd place is the Scion IQ and third is the Yaris.

The Micra isn't available in the USA so I don't know how that would play out vs the other subcompacts.

Maybe I'm wrong but :

Gas price is around 1.50$ so a nissan micra average 7.5L/100km over 20000km is around 2250$ a year + inflation, over 10 years it's more than the cost of the car.

The base model leaf is 31000 OTD

The base model automatic nissan micra is 16902 OTD

assuming the leaf battery do not need replacement

over 10 years, you will pay 28125$ in fuel with the micra and 5000$ of electricity on the leaf

which bring it to a total of 45027 for the micra and 36000$ for the leaf.

I didn't factor the maintenance for both car, and assumed a 2% inflation on gas price and electricity price.

The micra will have a lot more maintenance than the leaf let say 2000$ maintenance over 10 years.

The leaf might have a battery replacement which will cost 5500$ but probably much less in 7-8 years.

I still don't see why the micra would be cheaper.

but the $31k OTD if you have interest on it you need to factor
and the /23k more than the micra at the start is $ you can invest elsewhere and gain;)

too many factors.

ouais exacte, tu n'as pas pris en compte l'entretiens, je suis certains qu'une micra est moins cher d'entretiens qu'une leaf à terme.

et pourquoi prendre le prix de base d'une micra automatique?

sans compter le manque d'autonomie et le manque d'expertise disponnible pour l'entretiens d'un véhicule électrique.

Its hard to compare the Leaf vs Micra. For example, it might be cheaper to operate a Leaf, but if it's your only car, you might need to rent a car two or three week a year,
Adding to the cost of ownership. You can barely make the halfway mark between MTL and QC without running out of juice on the Leaf.

Too many factors and variables are at play to make a cost comparison, and frankly its quite useless because hardly nobody is cross-shopping those two cars.

Nobody here looked at the resale value, how much will you get for a Micra in 10 years if it's even still alive?

I think you'll have to look elsewhere, something like a Chevy Cruz for example, factor in the resale value of a 10yr old Cruz vs a 10yr old Micra or iMiev.

Toyota still make the Tercel?

Selon plusieurs test et comparaisons un peu partout sur internet la mirage arrive bonne première, garantie de 10 ans + sa consommation moyenne de 5l/100 km est asser dur à battre.

Back