Driving the 458 Speciale vs GT3 RS on track plus Ferrari F12.

RussianM3_dude

Legacy Member
I had the pleasure this year of graduating from a GT3RS to a 458 Speciale for some track work.

In short, the GT3RS still holds it's own. No, it's not as fast in a straight line, but on a twisty circuit like Dijon it's blazing, especially on slicks. Quiet fragile though, watch out for the gearbox. 25k to replace. The CUP Porsches are just fragile money pits. Ferrari is much more solid, a 40K Challenge car on original gearbox and engine is not unheard of. The Speciale of course gives up a lot of grip (it's not homologated for slicks) but makes up with more power and better balance. It's actually very friendly to drive and gives you more options in a corner then slow-in, fast-out. For my money, it doesn't sound as good as the Italia though. It's actually homologated to be decibel legal for most tracks, so that might be the answer. I still managed to kill rear carbon disks in one day in Imola though. That track is brutal in a fast car. Very fast, very scary, no run-offs. The current cars are simply getting stupid fast. I have a racing license and a ton of experience on track, but I still get quiet nervous going out in Imola or Mugello. These cars are really strating to get too much for a regular Mr.Moneybags. They demand serious respects.

The F12 is even worse. 730 hp, less traction and a ton of torque. It's a beast. I managed to get 4th gear wheelspin. This is getting simply ridiculous.

2014-06-20180955.jpg

2014-10-09134803.jpg

F12 as a DD and 458 Speciale as a fun car, hands down...only if I lived in Europe and had the funds. Not in N.A.

^^

still waiting on Gregster to buy one with MR mod money
I was looking at F12s on eBay last night. Still too pricey pour moi

Not too sure what you did to harm a gearbox on a gt3. The normal RS does suffer from clutch pressure plate failures but its covered under warranty. Cup car gearboxes are usually rebuilt after each season for those on the cheap. Or twice a season

I still feel the best bang for the buck is that lambo trofeo cup thing.

I was looking at F12s on eBay last night. Still too pricey pour moi

Not too sure what you did to harm a gearbox on a gt3. The normal RS does suffer from clutch pressure plate failures but its covered under warranty. Cup car gearboxes are usually rebuilt after each season for those on the cheap. Or twice a season

I still feel the best bang for the buck is that lambo trofeo cup thing.

On slicks, the cornering forces slightly deform and twist the chassis (GT3RS is not stiff enough to be a true track car.) making it impossible/hard to shift (but not in a straight line). You also need to be gentle with the clutch pedal.

On slicks, the cornering forces slightly deform and twist the chassis (GT3RS is not stiff enough to be a true track car.) making it impossible/hard to shift (but not in a straight line). You also need to be gentle with the clutch pedal.
Yea I've never heard of that.... Windshield would crack first

But you do need to be gentle with the gearbox as it doesn't like to be rushed

Yea I've never heard of that.... Windshield would crack first

But you do need to be gentle with the gearbox as it doesn't like to be rushed

How many people track their RS on slicks? There's deffo a noticeable difference, in a corner, the stick is often hard to slot. Anyways, it's all moot now as the new GTs are all double clutch.

Tons of people including a few of my clients. Granted I change the springs; suspension arms for spherical ends and such.

You cant run slicks on the new rs. Not that it matters as it's already stupid fast. But a well driven 997.2 rs with slicks is just as quick.

this led me to do a search for "algorithmic bias" -*

tinyurl.com/cw4gfug
Nick Diakopoulos: Understanding bias in computational news media

and*

tinyurl.com/py73w3j
Algorithm bias: A statistical review

Long story short:
we want our learning curves back - I used to say "you learn more from your failures than your successes", e.g.
a timely loss can meld a sports team into a league champion;

in car racing (see above), you buy a race car with built-in, computer-designed bias - Konigsegg were promising satellite downloads of suspension settings based on the specific race track - as if the earth doesn't shift or man's racing skills don't allow for mechanical and mental adjustments in on location.

the chassis design of the Ultima GTR kit car still stands out as a relatively cheap but competitive platform -
Mr. Moneybags doesn't have the simple human skills ("unproductive") nor the self-reliance ("let the algorithm do it - it's bought and paid for") to wrestle with a "cheap car" and make it a winner

there's a pure kit racing car maker out there (in the U.K.?) that combines two four cylinder motorcycle engines - must research and get back to you

....The current cars are simply getting stupid fast. I have a racing license and a ton of experience on track, but I still get quiet nervous going out in Imola or Mugello. These cars are really strating to get too much for a regular Mr.Moneybags.....

The 458 is faster,more powerfull, much nicer sound...but more reliable? Nigga pls. Was it slippery in the rabbit hole or what?
Probably 24 of Le Mans says a lot about reliability.

@Greg. An RS with slicks is almost as fast as a 991 on Cup 2. Not at that level but very very close.
The paradigm is funny though. You can't put slicks on the 991 because of the rear axle system but that's what makes the 991 a bit faster.

The 458 is faster,more powerfull, much nicer sound...but more reliable? Nigga pls. Was it slippery in the rabbit hole or what?
Probably 24 of Le Mans says a lot about reliability.

@Greg. An RS with slicks is almost as fast as a 991 on Cup 2. Not at that level but very very close.
The paradigm is funny though. You can't put slicks on the 991 because of the rear axle system but that's what makes the 991 a bit faster.

My opinion comes from a lot of personal experience plus talking to other people with experience, including people who's job it is to maintain race cars.

I'm honestly very very suprised to hear this.
IS it possible the Ferrari guys don't push the car the same way ?
From what I see so far at the track/service Ferraris are way more often in service after a day or two at the track.

Yep you are correct and Porsche service is way less. GT3 RS is a gas n go car.

From what I've seen Ferrari guys show up , do one session then spend the rest of the day talking .

Back