Japan Domestic Motor in St Leonard sold me a blown motor

DrGonzo

So finally, after working on the car for the last 8 months, getting everything together, bit by bit, I finally start my motor today.

Heres what it sounds like

Thanks for selling me a blown motor guys. Leakdown/compression test my ass, it blows so much oil out the exhaust that it seeps through my sealing/stepped edge VBand flanges and drips everywhere. I know its luck of the draw but seriously, buyer beware - leakdown would have at least caught the completely blown rings (check that sweet sweet smoke puff). If they genuinely did a leakdown and STILL sold it to me... thats even worse. I recorded the entire priming process, I spent 30 minutes spacing out cranking/building oil pressure through the block, I know how to prime a motor that hasn't been started in a while.

Fuck this shit.

They said there is nothing they can do. They have 30 day startup guarantee. It took me like 8-9 months to get it running because I dont wrench on cars full time and I have a 9-5 job.

4337GEF.jpg

That is oil that is being blown out the exhaust and dripping off of the VBand flange. I havent even taken the oil out of the block yet. See the milk? Bad headgasket or turbo. See the shavings on the left? Bad bearings. This thing is completely grenaded in every single way possible and I havent even taken the bottom end off yet.

FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

Last edited:
you bought an engine from them without checking?

bad on both parties really. did you actually compression test it since its been installed?

It could be a headgasket, it's not so bad because at the same time you can rebuild the head, and have something decent. If its the bottom end, that sucks..

did you time it properly before you started?

Its the bottom end, 100%. Listen to the video all the way to the end, its getting worse and worse whenever I start the car so I have stopped.

They told me leakdown/compression was good. I even showed up with a goddamn borescope and went into each cylinder one at a time to check it.

NEVER trust these shops. Never. If they dont want you to test the engine, just dont buy it. Too many risks.

Tu peut pas verifier rien. T'arrive la pis il te tourne le bloc a main et te dise que le bloc est bon. Les shops jdm ces vraiment de la marde coter fiabiliter de ce que tu achete.

I think the only place I would buy a JDM engine from would be from swap shop. Pay the extra buck, get them to install it and still have that 30 day window... Buying a used engine and letting it sit for months is way too risky.

Well that sucks, not the first time I hear a JDM shops selling shit.

I can imagine them looking at eachother when you were scoping and grinning, because unless you were looking for burrs it was not very useful.

dont buy anything JDM

they will sold you scrap from japan that no one want anymore

where do you think they take their engine ? stop seeing everything pink in business

Its the bottom end, 100%. Listen to the video all the way to the end, its getting worse and worse whenever I start the car so I have stopped.

They told me leakdown/compression was good. I even showed up with a goddamn borescope and went into each cylinder one at a time to check it.

often a headgasket (if it breaks between cylinders) can sound a lot like piston slap, which is what happened on my car, i seriously thought my engine was scrap, sure enough when I ripped it apart.... I ll post a picture later.

All Im saying is that you DIDNT check it yourself and you're here bashing a shop and you still havnt posted any results of your personal tests, in till then I say this is bullshit.

Im not saying the shop didnt screw you, Im just curious what the jdm shop missed or just how crooked they really are.

They shouldn't have sold me a shit motor. This is my experience with them, thats it. Quality control motherfuckers. All the other recommendations of HG/piston slap/etc would have been caught via leakdown/compression test. Which makes them culpable either by neglect or deceit.

Bottom end is coming off today.

Sucks to hear that, after months of hard you get kicked in the balls like that. There guarantees are shit. That being said checking to motor right a way should have been a priority when you got it. Best of luck.

been there , done that , 3 h22a in a row . they finaly rebuilted the engine after i went ape shit in the shop :)

Back