Someone educate me on used Volks...

manifeste00

Legacy Member
I've found a W8 Passat 4motion with 130k on it(leather, no rust on the pics,etc) for 2500$...
Seems a little bit cheap, like almost too good to be true...
You can barely get your hands on a used Subaru in good shape for that price. Whats the deal with used VW?
Btw I'm looking for a second car. One I could work on the road with.

Honestly my friend had one, he was glad it got totalled when it was parked.... Worth more insurance wise, 8K in Feb 2014...

Was a huge pig on gas, slightly more reliable than an Audi S4 V8. He had the sport package and it was a 2003.

If you're a mechanic and have time in the shop to fix it, all the better.

If you're not, considered yourself warned.

Honestly my friend had one, he was glad it got totalled when it was parked.... Worth more insurance wise, 8K in Feb 2014...

Was a huge pig on gas, slightly more reliable than an Audi S4 V8. He had the sport package and it was a 2003.

If you're a mechanic and have time in the shop to fix it, all the better.

If you're not, considered yourself warned.
I see...
The one I've found for reference: http://m.autohebdo.net/a/19_8472070?prx=100&orup=39_10_56

W8???? Run. Run as fast as you can.

I had the same generation Passat (2004) but the 1.8T version, which was a great car and extremely reliable.

The W8 is also pretty reliable, and a wonderful car to drive, BUT, it will still consume any money and sanity you have. That's because when you do need parts for the engine, you realize everything is W8 specific, and most of the time you'll be going through the dealer. Need a thermostat? Cough up 500$. Then there's the tight engine bay, so tight you'll need to remove the whole engine to replace an O2 sensor.

If none of this scares you, go for it. It'll make for great story telling when you're in an insane asylum in the very near future if you decide to embark on W8 ownership.

Hahaha thanks for the help guys. I really wanted a VW. And this one being 4motion/leather/W8 for that cheap...I was wondering why they were priced so low. I guess I know why now :D

My friend used to have a silver one, when he sold it he told me he got lucky someone bought it before the o2 sensors needed to be replaced (like Dubweiser said) and the transmission was dying. It's a real pain in the ass working on this car

Thanks again guys. Wanted to be part of the VW guys...guess I'll have to wait!
Still looking though but I'm in no hurry.

Back