mk6 gti owners come and and share your opinions

konrad

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a mk6 gti. Owners: how do you like the car, what are the pros and cons? Are they reliable up to date ( I heard problems about the waterpumps)

I saw one for sale at centreville vw for 18,000$ with 63,000km, manual.

Thanks!

I have a 2013 GTI. I love driving it on dry roads. Hate it every other day of the year. The interior is very nice but cracks in the cold weather and it drives me nuts. Get an R badge VW or jump to Audi.

I also have a 2013 GTI. Wolfsburg edition
Very fun car to drive.
So practical around town, and for outdoors acitivities. I fit all of my sports equipment in there, and have also managed to fit in a dishwasher without any problems.

The finition is great for that price. If you go to Audi, the a3 does come as well equiped than the GTI.

Engine is good, but once you go stage 1 you will want more.
I bought stage 1 and 3 weeks later went stage 2+ lol

It consumesless than my old 2.5 rabbit.

Now I find that it is the perfect car to drive. :) I would not change for another car.

Neighboor and friend as a 2012 and he's having clutch issues, car as ~40000km and is flashed Unitronic Stage 2 since he bought it. Dont know if its a common problem on this car but I imagine its worth mentionning.

Neighboor and friend as a 2012 and he's having clutch issues, car as ~40000km and is flashed Unitronic Stage 2 since he bought it. Dont know if its a common problem on this car but I imagine its worth mentionning.

Very True.
Clutch is reliable for stage 1 and stock.
However, Once you go stage 2, you might have chances that it slips sooner or later. This Stock clutch can not handle the 280TQ that most of tuners provide.
I say that but I have been k04 for 4k now, beat the shit up of my car, and knock on wood I have not had to replace it :) lol

A quoi il s'attend avec + de 300 lbs de torque sur une clutch stock? Le problème, c'est pas vw, mais ton ami qui n'a pas upgrader sa clutch.

J'ai une clutch master fx300 sur mon gli et je suis juste stage 1+ et je ne retournerai pas avec une clutch stock même stage 1..

Pour répondre a OP c'est ce que je magazine aussi, pas vraiment de problème connu, définitivement une des meilleures génération de GTI. C'est juste tannant un peu a magaziner car 85% proviennent des dealers.

J'ai roulé une clutch stock sur mon A4 2.0T fsi avec 305 lbs de torque jusqu'à 135000km. Quand je l'ai changé il restait encore du pad sur le disque, j'aurais pu la faire durer encore un bout.

La clutch des Gti mk6 est weak.

J'ai roulé une clutch stock sur mon A4 2.0T fsi avec 305 lbs de torque jusqu'à 135000km. Quand je l'ai changé il restait encore du pad sur le disque, j'aurais pu la faire durer encore un bout.

La clutch des Gti mk6 est weak.

Different driving styles lead to different conclusions. My uncle has a Frankenturbo 2.7T Allroad with a new stock clutch...still holds fine...if you're gonna be on the power at low RPM all the time and doing full throttle pulls to 200kph, or if you slip the clutch, it's gonna go for sure.

Different driving styles lead to different conclusions. My uncle has a Frankenturbo 2.7T Allroad with a new stock clutch...still holds fine...if you're gonna be on the power at low RPM all the time and doing full throttle pulls to 200kph, or if you slip the clutch, it's gonna go for sure.

I should of mentionned that I based my opinion on the clutch "issue" in my friends case and as you mention, even thought hes a good driver he might be pushing it a lot in the lower rpm range causing premature wear on the clutch disc.

But 40000km is pretty early Imo.

Allroads run the same clutch disc as B5 S4's no? I ran a B5 S4 stock sac disc on my GT2871R B6 with no issues, they can hold lots of power which is impressive for a full face organic disc. Imo the same cant be said about the Mk6 stock disc.

I should of mentionned that I based my opinion on the clutch "issue" in my friends case and as you mention, even thought hes a good driver he might be pushing it a lot in the lower rpm range causing premature wear on the clutch disc.

But 40000km is pretty early Imo.

Allroads run the same clutch disc as B5 S4's no? I ran a B5 S4 stock sac disc on my GT2871R B6 with no issues, they can hold lots of power which is impressive for a full face organic disc. Imo the same cant be said about the Mk6 stock disc.

Je ne sais pas c'est quoi sa chip, mais par exemple Unitronic on toujours été réputé pour avoir BEAUCOUP de power a bas régime et être plus dur sur la clutch que par exemple une chip APR qui elle est plus progressive.

Je maintiens mon point .. : upgrade stage 2 ou plus : change ta clutch ..

Pis la clutch stock doit pas être si weak que ca.. j'ai presque jamais lu de cas de clutch finie a propos des MK6 stock.

ahah here comes the famous clutch debate over chipped GTI's and stock Clutch.
I agree with Mathhh. Stock clutch is weak for upgraded TQ.
Different driving styles has a big effect as well as some mentioned.
Overall the GTI is a great car...We can not compare clutches put on Audi S4, a GTI. very not the same engine specs.
I just drove mine in some curves, and god that I am impressed how fast it comes out of curves with the LSD.

thanks for the input guys! I probably won't chip the car and if I do probably max stage 1. I'm going to be using the car to see clients since I do a lot of driving and i'll need to keep it as reliable as possible.

I heard some problems with water pumps, is that common?

And yea I looked into the A3 which was tempting and also I don't know if I'll jump to get a B7 A4 since they're starting to get a little old now and hard to find one with less than 100,000km now.

Last edited:
I heard that too about water pump. However, when I called dealer, he said that was on the R. On gti a lot have water pump fails in the usa, but I have not heard of this issues here....weird he.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mes parents on un GTI 2013 avec 40 000 ish kilo et so far so good. l'intérieur est beau et confortable, l'extérieur est sublime, vraiment le fun a conduire meme en stock form. tres économique avec du power sous le pied droit. aller retour mtl-alma en moyenne 6.2l/100km.

seul probleme rencontrer a date est avec leur manette et le keyless entry. les battery on du etre changer ya 2 semaines et l'antenne ne recevais pas les ondes de la clé quand tu passais la main proche de la poignée pour débarré les portes. les coilpacks sont aussi a vérifier.

Coil pack et plugs a changer a 60 k. On peut metre les r8 coil. 120$ pour 4 :)

D'après mon aviseur tech non. Mais d'après les forum il disent qu'il ont jamais eu un coil de r8 fini...

Back