Where to get alumalite or similar?

Loki

Legacy Member
Hi,

So one of my winter projects is a front splitter. I'm wondering if there is a place in Montreal/Laval I can pick up some alumalite or similar material. Not doing plywood ;)

Thanks,

Hi,

So one of my winter projects is a front splitter. I'm wondering if there is a place in Montreal/Laval I can pick up some alumalite or similar material. Not doing plywood ;)

Thanks,
I went with Coroplast (sign board) from Rona sandwiched by fiberglass/epoxy.

I went with Coroplast (sign board) from Rona sandwiched by fiberglass/epoxy.

Yeah works good ! I tried it for proof of concept for rear wind endplate designs. Be careful though if you make it in carbon fiber infusion under vacuum. The resin will fill up the voids in the coroplast and it will become heavy as fuck. Probably heavier than using plywood...

The best way we found was to make the outer skin in infusion first but leave one edge ''open''. You then insert the coroplast between the top and bottom surfaces of the splitter and bond it there using an adequate bonding agent.

Another way that works well is using a foam core. i.e. the white foam they use to pack TV's and computers, wrap the carbon around it and infuse the whole thing.

Yup thats the best way to do it. I've made a few splitters for customers using Divinycell as the sandwich material for even lighter solutions. Coroplast is still pretty much the most rugged product, with the lowest weight per dollar I have found to date. I scuff it up with 80 grit to ensure a good mechanical lock with the adhesive so it doesn't delaminate under stress.

Yeah works good ! I tried it for proof of concept for rear wind endplate designs. Be careful though if you make it in carbon fiber infusion under vacuum. The resin will fill up the voids in the coroplast and it will become heavy as fuck. Probably heavier than using plywood...

The best way we found was to make the outer skin in infusion first but leave one edge ''open''. You then insert the coroplast between the top and bottom surfaces of the splitter and bond it there using an adequate bonding agent.

Another way that works well is using a foam core. i.e. the white foam they use to pack TV's and computers, wrap the carbon around it and infuse the whole thing.

What about the fact that the flutes (either in coroplast or alumalite) is not in the right direction for maximum stiffness, does the fiberglass/carbonfiber layer makes up for it?

Also how do the weights compare between alumalite and coroplast? I remember checking it out back then and a birch plywood of 1/4" vs 6mm alumalite was basicly the same weight, but alumalite wasn't a good composite core option because resin wouldn't bond adequatly on aluminium panel.

Edit : So apparently a 4x8 sheet of 4mm Coroplast weights in at 4.15 lbs and a 10mm sheet at 5.1 lbs. The same sheet in alumalite is around 18lbs, so it is easily 4x times lighter while being much cheaper.

Last edited:
What about the fact that the flutes (either in coroplast or alumalite) is not in the right direction for maximum stiffness, does the fiberglass/carbonfiber layer makes up for it?

Also how do the weights compare between alumalite and coroplast? I remember checking it out back then and a birch plywood of 1/4" vs 6mm alumalite was basicly the same weight, but alumalite wasn't a good composite core option because resin wouldn't bond adequatly on aluminium panel.

Edit : So apparently a 4x8 sheet of 4mm Coroplast weights in at 4.15 lbs and a 10mm sheet at 5.1 lbs. The same sheet in alumalite is around 18lbs, so it is easily 4x times lighter while being much cheaper.

That's good info, thanks!

Back