Bought a block heater for hyundai, does it work ? oe it leak?

Hate to get involved in a thread like this ...

People often ask my opinion but just end up doing whatever they want anyways.

You don't need a block heater, I have had them in my cars and never used them.

As discussed good battery, clean terminals.

But the biggest thing no one mentioned is synthetic oil. End of problems.

More important in an old car then a new one (as far as starting in the cold)

Just do it, end of problems.

If you feel the synthetic is too expensive just get it when it is on sale at Canadian Tire, stock up and leave it in the garage.

And your battery and/or starter will keep on dying until your block heater will be of no help whatsoever then you will have to change them for the same amount except you discussed except you already paid for a block heater you didn't need in the first place.

The very definition of "économie de bout de chandelle".

If you learn that the hard way, you will not do it again, which will be good in the long run.

If I screw up .........then I will post about it and everyone will find out as I am going to post lab results good or bad lol 😊

I'll post results anyways my problem today wasn't that the car didn't start but that the door was stuck to the body glued sold and I could not open the door (was not a lock problem) . But all in all God that things been a life saver
Just for the quick heat .

As to why my truck started today but your car didn't it would have started today without assistance but it was a lot easier the REAL TEST will come Wednesday -29 celcius plus wind

Hate to get involved in a thread like this ...

People often ask my opinion but just end up doing whatever they want anyways.

You don't need a block heater, I have had them in my cars and never used them.

As discussed good battery, clean terminals.

But the biggest thing no one mentioned is synthetic oil. End of problems.

More important in an old car then a new one (as far as starting in the cold)

Just do it, end of problems.

If you feel the synthetic is too expensive just get it when it is on sale at Canadian Tire, stock up and leave it in the garage.

I did clean the terminals and my oil is non synthetic but is supposed to have a decent pour point ......... But God he easy start and easy heat really is a life saver . If I screwed up with my buy I will post about it

ok folks as pormised my car has been sitting for 9 hours outside its currectly -27 degrees celcius, had the block heater for 1.5 hours.

Result : easy start (1 second to engine start), idle for less than 30 seconds, blowing heat 3 minutes to 4 minutes ( i suspect below -25 it takes an extra minute) but I feel the money was worth it simply for the heat.

PS I would have waited for -29 or -30, but it would come at 2 AM.

My opinion if most yoru parts work adequately, and you have access to electrcity in the morning, a block heater is awesome !!!!!

You actually made me try my block heater yesterday for the first time in my life. I gave it a shot for the fun and its truly amazing. Your block heater heats your prestone while mine heats engine oil.

If I screw up .........then I will post about it and everyone will find out as I am going to post lab results good or bad lol ��

I'll post results anyways my problem today wasn't that the car didn't start but that the door was stuck to the body glued sold and I could not open the door (was not a lock problem) . But all in all God that things been a life saver
Just for the quick heat .

As to why my truck started today but your car didn't it would have started today without assistance but it was a lot easier the REAL TEST will come Wednesday -29 celcius plus wind

You aware that wind don't affect your car?

You actually made me try my block heater yesterday for the first time in my life. I gave it a shot for the fun and its truly amazing. Your block heater heats your prestone while mine heats engine oil.

Not the same thing at all. Le tien aide ton char a démarré, le sien fait juste lui donner de la chaleur rapidement. Il a clairement aucune idée de ce qu'il fait lol.

Not the same thing at all. Le tien aide ton char a démarré, le sien fait juste lui donner de la chaleur rapidement. Il a clairement aucune idée de ce qu'il fait lol.

Le sien doit quand meme aider un tout petit peu.

Je suis tombé sur le cul en tk, jai parti le char a -20 passé et le starter a fait un tour. Aussi vite qu en été. Je suis resté bete en ta.

How in the world YOUR car needs a block heater and my 1989 truck with 289xxx km don't need one? Either the starter fails or is too weak for your car or the battery/alt fails.

Weak battery+bad oil and maybe something else should be the problem not a damn bloc heater.

That's what we are trying to explain to you, but you look like a mister know it all and you went with your first idea.

Older cars are also better built.

il_570xN.629086837_rxof.jpg

^ Eh not that old lol.

Yeah some were huge pieces of crap, but most of them were overengineered for their times. You can't deny the fact that almost every manufacturer these days build cars to last a limited time span so you can just throw it out, buy another, rinse repeat.

What is it with you? OP stated the car started like a warm engine should, especially during -29 using a block heater. He didn't take your advice, get over it.

^ Eh not that old lol.

Yeah some were huge pieces of crap, but most of them were overengineered for their times. You can't deny the fact that almost every manufacturer these days build cars to last a limited time span so you can just throw it out, buy another, rinse repeat.

Si tu hand pick tes comparaisons d'autos plus vieilles (ex, accord, golf, bmws etc) tu dois le faire avec celles d'aujourdhui aussi. C est facile de dire que les autos plus vieilles etaient mieux quand tu prends seulement que 4-5 modeles que tu choisis.

I am in disagreement with this statement . Block heaters that heat coolant in the block (my car ) or if it exists and I don't think it does block heaters that heat oil Or more likely oil pan heaters which I think is what this guy has all work the same way heat transfer to the engine to have less friction in the piston joints and make oil more fluid so that it take less electricity to crank the engine . Block heaters do not discriminate by types that start easier versus blow heat faster , all achieve the same goal .

If more people have block heaters please share your experiences

Last edited:
Anyone have experiencece with oil pan heater cheaper but not as good quality me thinks ? Plus the issue of using it on

Test Result ( number 2) : today about am -24 wind chill (I know theoretically wind chill is not supposed to affect a car, but my personal expereince says it does). Had the car on for the block heater for a bit, started like a dream. block heater worked very well . :) Heat in 3 minutes.

Anybody with oil pan heater expereinces ?????

The outsider mentioned he had an oil heater. Also FYI the city of winnipeg, almost everybody has block heaters, plugs are everywhere to plug them in. Hotels, at work, malls, everywhere. After it dips below a certain temp, now matter how new the vehicle is, it won't start.

Oil heater is kinda uncommon these days....i would say block heater is beater because it reach more engine mass
and to be effective i think a oil heater has to heat like hell compared to a bloc heater

Back