Bought a block heater for hyundai, does it work ? oe it leak?

student13

Hello, I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent (1.4L 4cylinder), which I bought a block heater for. I want to know whether it works or not from experienced people that have INSTALLED IT/ (or had it installed).

Side notes:

-After buying block heater, my dad was stand off-ish about installing as he says radiator fluid will leak everywhere and damage car.

- My dad's garage guy says that that part is only good for diesel engines, and that its my battery not the cold block that does not work in low temps.ALTHOUGH , I have a Canadian Tire 500Amp battery booster that I used last year, still the car would not start. SoI suspect that its the block.

Opinions of those with experience would be appreciated.

Lol I think you should stop suspecting anything. You dont seem to know a thing. Get your battery checked. Replace if needed, get your alt. checked, replace if needed. Bring your car to a competent mechanics and stop buying everything thats not the problem. A block heater will pre heat the fluids and its all it does.

Block heaters work. It will warm up the antifreeze, cranking the engine will be easier than in minus 15 degrees. But you didn't mentioned the symptoms when trying to start the car with a booster. Did it have a hard time turning over? Cold engines require a richer mixture to fire than a warm one, so if the engine didn't fire up on the first 30 secs of cranking, you will flood it. Do you smell gas coming out of your tailpipes? Sometimes a worn starter has a hard time in the cold. And you don't have to keep the block heaters plugged in over night, just an hour before should be good, longer if it is colder.

il va avoir aucun trouble de coolant...ca va couler pour l'installé..mais apres..aucun trouble

rechauffé le moteur d'une accent. perte d'électricité IMO.

Moi je met une chaufrette de camping 30-60min avant de partir(minuterie) et l'intérieur est chaud et les vitre defrosté a 100% :D
tu part tranquillement et ouvre le chauf***e juste quand l'aiguille de la temp moteur décolle.

You shouldn't really need one in southern quebec so long as you have a good battery and are using proper oil (IE roughly anything that's not 20w50 should be fine lol)

I'd use the money towards a new battery ($90)

Tell your dad he knows fuckall about mechanic...That's totally ridiculous.

And yeah the problem is probably due to a weak battery. get a new one with more '' amperage''

starters on there way out will draw insane amounts of amperage. sometimes new battery and boosting the car wont even let it turn over. get battery alt checked and have someone test the amperage load when cranking. good luck!!

I put a multimeter to the battery today, 13.7 V engine off, 14.7 V idling. So that is normal parameters. Battery was replaced 2 years ago. But I have noticed that a lot of people on my street all sorts of cars, and insdustrial vans seem to have trouble cranking at -15 C that parked out over night. Let us assume I have a shitty battery, but everyone on my street ? My neighbour who is an electrician, bought a big high crank battery, had to get it boosted from his jeep(which his kids park inside) . PS, I had a plug in battery starter, pluged it into the wall , connected it to car battery, waited 5 mintes , while charginng on high amp nothing happened. I am leaning towards block heater, as all batteries tend to have issues at low temps, even the high crank amp ones.

Who gives a fuck about your neighbors' battery?? How is that related to your problem? If your car doesnt start or has problem starting at low temperature, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. I never had ONE problem starting my last 4 cars (old cars and newers) in low temps. There is a problem and you need to fix it. Leave the block heater alone for a second and find your problem. Check battery amp, altern. amp, starter checkup fuel pressure etc.

stop looking at thing that has to do with nothing with your problem. and tell your dad to keep his advices to himself lol. you are way of the real problem. did you even have a look at starter, alternator, battery electrical connections. engine ground, fuses box, relays and see if there<s any sign of corrosion. lots of things could be the problem.
bring your car to your favorite garage

Seriously none of my cars had trouble to crank even in -35 lol

Ffs i have an 89 truck now with some old battery and it crank like a new...

If you have to use a block heater to start your car, there's a problem.
If another battery doesn't do the trick, your starter is probably worn out and is wasting a lot more amps turning over.
The only reason i used block heaters over the years was to liquify thick oil. car will still start, but it'll take longer to pump oil in the lifters.

And if your talking about a zerostart, coolant heater style "block heater", it won't help much with your starting problem, it'll make your heat come quick tho.

Who gives a fuck about your neighbors' battery?? How is that related to your problem? If your car doesnt start or has problem starting at low temperature, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. I never had ONE problem starting my last 4 cars (old cars and newers) in low temps. There is a problem and you need to fix it. Leave the block heater alone for a second and find your problem. Check battery amp, altern. amp, starter checkup fuel pressure etc.

Whe I checked on teh internet, it said verify voltage for battery and starter, the standrd being 12.6 volt+ and idling 13.6-15 volts. How much amperage should there be or is that different for every car ?

Whe I checked on teh internet, it said verify voltage for battery and starter, the standrd being 12.6 volt+ and idling 13.6-15 volts. How much amperage should there be or is that different for every car ?

Not different for every car. Voltage is basically same, but amperage draw varies between cars. If you said you hooked up a 500 amp battery booster, (and the battery is only 2 years old) and still it wouldn't start, you pretty much eliminated the theory of a weak battery.
My 18 month old Jetta also have a harder time cranking in -20, but it still starts.
1- remove the battery cables and clean inside of the ring terminals with a wire brush and clean the battery poles too. (even with a strong battery, a weak electrical connection will result in poor cranking)

Give the guy a chance, he wants to learn. We weren't born running out of the womb...

Couldn't agree more... Most MR members know fuck all and don't try to fix it by trying... atleast this fucktard might not be as retarded as the most of you and gives it a try.

To OP: The voltage you are checking is a good start this will tell you if your alternator is in good condition which it is. This unfortunately doesn't say much about the battery's condition which is what starts the car in the end. I'd put my money on your battery crapping out.

If all you are equipped with is a multimeter let the car sit for as long as you can in the cold without starting it (Ex. 24h) then recheck the batters voltage and see if it has dropped. A better test would be to put it on a battery tester which Canadian tire could test it for you for cheap/free.

Cheers.

Back