Buying a used Subaru is an awful idea

Lexus

You probably came prepared to gladly participate in yet another Subaru hate thread which is obviously THE thing to do in order to be cool and belong on MR these days, but no, this isn't about Subaru :D

I found an interesting article on Jalopnik about the Audi V8, especially the 04-09 S4. Enjoy :D

As it turns out, there's a reason these things have gotten so cheap. And given that this is a Volkswagen Group product, the reason is exactly what you'd expect: the engine has the propensity to blow up at any random moment, requiring a repair that costs approximately the same as one of those public art sculptures that always looks like a huge piece of discarded construction equipment, but actually symbolizes something like the struggle of the Asiatic Snapping Turtle against the tyrannical oppression of airplane noise.56

Here's the background: the previous Audi S4, which came out in 1999, used a timing belt rather than a timing chain. This annoyed the hell out of everyone, because the belt had to be changed every few years, and the only way you can do this job, or any job in a 1990s Audi, is you have to remove the front end, and the engine, and all the glass, and then you have to do a little jig on the service drive that involves a socket wrench and some lederhosen. For this, you may bill 31 hours.7

So what Audi did on the V8-powered S4 model, which came out in 2004, was obvious: they ditched the stupid belt for a chain, like most other automakers. And since the chain was now designed to last the life of the car, Audi decided to stick it waaaay in the back of the engine, up against the firewall. Apparently the theory was that the chain would be so robust, and strong, and dependable, that it would never have to be serviced. You can probably guess what happened next. 89

Yes, that's right: it had to be serviced.

You see, as it turns out, the chain itself didn't have any problems with dependability. But Audi, being Audi, decided to use substandard materials for the chain tensioners, and the cam adjusters, which are two related – and highly important – components that keep the chain turning around and around and around every time you drive the car. The result is that these parts eventually fail, requiring the replacement of virtually everything you see in this amazing image of an Audi S4 engine worryingly sitting outside an Audi S4:

Here’s Why The V8 Audi S4 Is An Awful Used Car:

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510?rev=1419969940873

I dont mean to be rude but it IS pretty horrible in the subaru department these days. I suggest another sneak peak at the famous thread. Another blown engine waiting to happen.

I agree with your article par contre. Mais quel FAIL monumental.

That picture of the engine is kinda crazy! Chains, chains everywhere!

8k for replacement? WTF lol.

saw my buddy working on one of these with this exact problem, couldn't believe you had to do all this work.

L'affaire c'est que

1- Y'a 1000 subaru qui se vendent pour chaque 04-09 S4... Ce qui fait que les subaru sont un problème pour bien plus de monde.
2- Les gens qui ont des S4 sont plus en moyen de les entretenir que l'acheteur typique de Subaru qui se fait envoyer chier par son dealer de marde.

This chain issue is an 8K$ horror story for S4(& RS4 I assume?)... Wonder whats involved if this happens on an R8 4.2?...

Après ça le monde me trouve débile parce que j'aime bien ça les moteur SOHC à timing belt...

Oui pour du japonais pas trop fancy, mais ça fait des années que les japonais font des moteurs 16 valves injection DACT turbo fiables.

dafaq does Subaru have to do with this? aside from both companies making really shitty engines?

C'est la première fois que j'entends parler de ce problème sur les S4 :dunno:

Le 4.2 a toujours été relativement fiable :dunno:

dafaq does Subaru have to do with this? aside from both companies making really shitty engines?

It was just a trick to get us in the thread.

However, this can be concluded:

04-04 S4 timing chain replacement is crap. Subaru engines are crap. Both share the "crappy" part. Thus, this thread is a little about Subaru.

C'est la première fois que j'entends parler de ce problème sur les S4 :dunno:

Le 4.2 a toujours été relativement fiable :dunno:

Me semble j ai toujours entendu parler que ces moteurs prenaient de l huile pis que tlm les vendaient a l approche de la maintenance de la timing chain car ca coutait un prix de fou... Genre la moitiie du char... En considerant que ca vaut 15-20k$$

Me semble j ai toujours entendu parler que ces moteurs prenaient de l huile pis que tlm les vendaient a l approche de la maintenance de la timing chain car ca coutait un prix de fou... Genre la moitiie du char... En considerant que ca vaut 15-20k$$

x2 c etait toute ca sur lespac. Low milleage pis pas vraiment chere compte tenu du prix du vehicule neuf

J'ai passe tellement pres a un moment donne d'acheter une A6 4.2.....superbes autos mais je prendrais pas de risque avec ca. Elles se vendent meme moins de 10K (les 2005-2006) mais si ca coute un autre 8K par apres....ce n'est plus un deal.

Back