Change Manual Transmission Oil?

Rice.Rockets

Do you guys change your manual transmission oil?

I've got a 7th gen Civic (2002) with 235k and was wondering if it was a good idea to change the trans oil since I would be keeping it until it reached around 270k. I have no idea if the oil has even been changed but it seems like the gearbox could be a little smoother.

Is it like automatic transmissions where if you change your oil that's never been changed you run a risk?

I think changing it every 200k is a good idea. Get rid of contaminants, such as metal fragments from grinding gear the previous owner might have done.

Do you guys change your manual transmission oil?

I've got a 7th gen Civic (2002) with 235k and was wondering if it was a good idea to change the trans oil since I would be keeping it until it reached around 270k. I have no idea if the oil has even been changed but it seems like the gearbox could be a little smoother.

Is it like automatic transmissions where if you change your oil that's never been changed you run a risk?

Ça fait jamais de mal de la changer, c'est pas comme un automatique. Assure toi juste de mettre le bon fluide, il y en a qui prennent de la gear oil, d'autre de l'huile à moteur, d'autre de la atf ou mtf.

I changed the manual transmission fluid on my old Civic and on my S10 and both cars shifted smoother afterwards. No idea if it had been done before on either of them.

What kind of broscience is this?

Si tu depasses le moindrement les intervalles recommandées pour une tranny auto tu cours un risque d avoir des problemes quand tu mets la nouvelle huile et qu elle deloge les débris. Been there done that, meme chose pour plusieurs personnes que j ai connu.

Do it. Just make sure to get the proper grade and spec (ie gl4 or gl5 if its just gear oil) I personally like to spend a few extra bucks and go full synthetic, seems to make it smoother the first couple miles when it's stupid cold out.

Edit: Make sure you break the fill plug free before you drain the oil. It drains faster that way and it sucks if you dump it but can't fill it because it's stuck.

Last edited:
Uhh... Manual gearbox. Like any gear oil, change it every 65k km.

Honda manual says every 96000km in servere conditions and only at 192 000 on normal conditions

But thanks for the tips. I'll do it. Seems fairly easy and inexpensive to do. I'll get the good stuff.

Honda manual says every 96000km in servere conditions and only at 192 000 on normal conditions

But thanks for the tips. I'll do it. Seems fairly easy and inexpensive to do. I'll get the good stuff.

That's really interesting. You need Honda MTF or just put 5w30 in the transmission. Sorry My civic is auto, so I don't know that much about the civic.
My yaris uses 75w90 gear oil in the transmission which should be done at 65k.

A quick search lead me to this thread, which says 96k km too. Btw, I would consider driving in Quebec severe conditions.
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/1.../328591-manual-transmission-fluid-change.html

Back